Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • XC brakes
  • malchales
    Free Member

Hi all, i

r

m looking to use 160mm rotors and my budget is up to £300ish. The original XTs are on my Kinesis XC2 Pro winter bike doing sterling job but a bit heavy. Thanks all.

malchales
    Free Member

Why oh why does it do this too me!!!
    The best/lightest 160mm brakes to use and will compliment my 09 Anthem X1 which i race. Budget £300ish. TA

freeganbikefascist
    Free Member

Elixir CR Carbons can be had for about 200 a pair. Not really sure if they're lighter than XT though

Anthony
    Free Member

New Hope Race X2 if you can find them on a good deal.

Or older Hope Mini X2 Pro.

Or XTR from merlin, plus Hope lightweight floating rotors (+flog the brand new XTR centrelock rotors they come with and your also well under budget)

malchales
    Free Member

Have heard that hope X2s and the Race X2 dont fit very well with XT shifters but they do look good but v expensive. And XTRs are looking good value from Merlin!! What about Maguras?

njee20
    Free Member

Questionable reliability, although a lot of people who use them swear by them.

The Elixirs are great brakes, and the Mag CR jobbies are pretty light too, they'd get my vote if they can be had on the cheap.

malchales
    Free Member

thanks every one, i`ll scower the websites for the best deals.

DT78
    Free Member

Interesting fact – Tech X2's are heavier than mono minis. I was quite dissappointed was in the process of swapping them over on my race bike and realised they were weighed more!

(i'd say my mono's are more powerful too, maybe they are just setup better)

malchales
    Free Member

ah ha, so new sparkley bling more expensive not always better……….

jimmerhimself
    Free Member

Just to touch on the Hope Tech/XT compatibility, I've not found it to be a problem at all – although I don't run windows on my shifters.

In terms of power, as I understand it the Tech X2 should be more powerful than the Mk1 (black and gold) Mono Mini. I don't know if the caliper is the same as the mk2 (black and silver) mono mini, but I find them to be significantly more powerful than the mk1's.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Newer XTs (M770s) are pretty good. I'd avoid avids as they seem to be problematic.

DT78
    Free Member

I was talking about the black/silver mini (thought that was mono-mini?!), and yes they are better than my set of X2s…only thing I prefer on the x2s is the easy lever/bite adjust

Starrman28
    Free Member

Why not run a 140mm rotor at the back? i've had this setup on mine for a while and it works quite well. Saves a little rotating weight.

njee20
    Free Member

I'd avoid avids as they seem to be problematic.

I've had at least 6 pairs of Avids (Juicy Carbons, Ultimates, Elixirs and XXs) all have been absolutely spot on, never had any problems with any of them. The Elixirs are noticeably more powerful, and pad replacement is far easer.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘XC brakes’ is closed to new replies.