• This topic has 11 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by dyls.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Xc bike advice
  • herdwickmatt
    Free Member

Hi folks,
    I’m currently in the market for a new mtb to replace my out of date and poorly specced Giant XTC. Unfortunately the choice is so vast I’m really struggling to make a decision or narrow down the field.
    The bike will be used for cross-duathlon, adventure races (mix of single\double track + some trail centre stuff), the odd mountain bike marathon and cross country race. I have a budget of £1500 and it seems I can either get a low end carbon frame or a better specced alu frame. I think (but am not sure) that I want a 29er for rolling ability along long sections of fireroad and moorland double track.
    Some of the options…
    Scott Scale 720
    Cube Reaction GTC pro
    Grand Canyon AL 7.9
    Radon ZR Race 8.0
    One One Maccatuskill
    Genuinely the mind boggles at the options….HELP!

acsevens

Trek superfly worth a look. I’ve just got the 7 (which is £1500) and am really, really liking it so far

BearBack
    Free Member

If you can get a Scott Scale 720 at 1500 then jump on it (if it fits you).. however, I’m thinking it could be the 720 plus at that price point which is spec’d well below the regular 720.
    However, on the plus side.. the Scale plus frame will take a 29″ wheel.. so you could run fun plus sized wheels for general riding duties and have a race day 29″ wheelset. The plus frame is slacker than the carbon/alloy regular scales (and most other xc hardtails) and is fantastically capable for an alloy hardtail.
    Evans have a 2016 clear out at 900 quid so leaves upgrade room..of which you could easily spend the additional 600 quid.

oldracer
    Free Member

I’m going to look at a 27.5 ht – I want to keep the agility of a smaller bike but still have some of the advantages of a larger wheel.

The marketing BS has worked!

😆

6079smithw
    Free Member

Cube or Radon.
    Or stretch to the Radon Jealous 6.0 if you can

brassneck

Whyte – well worth a look.

FWIW – if the carbon frameset is better (lighter, more compliant, your choice of what classes as better) go for that – bits wear out and are replaced, frames can last.

I would go 29er for your use, I do much the same and love mine.

herdwickmatt
    Free Member

So the advice would be go for carbon if I can and replace the parts as they wear out?

The radon is discounted atm so might be a good shout.

Any ideas when 2017 bikes start to get discounted?

quintet100
    Free Member

Hi
    Check out my listing for s-works 29er hardtail.
    Dose this fit the bill?

jonnyrockymountain

My nice cannondale fsi ? Size m

njee20
    Free Member

Check out my listing for s-works 29er hardtail.
    Dose this fit the bill?

Welcome to the forum 🙄

To add to the above Rutland Cycling have also got a Scale 720 for £1350, which looks a veritable bargain if it’s your size. I’d go for that over the 735.

dyls

If you can wait a month until August, mayby September, there will be some good deals on 2017 bikes.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Xc bike advice’ is closed to new replies.