Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • Xbox One S – did my world just change?
  • Kryton57

I realise I’m getting old and my understanding of technology is slowing down, but the Outlaws bought us an Xbox one S for Christmas.

Now, as well as Ultra Blue Ray whatever that is, I can apparently stream Amazon, for which which have Prime.

All this and games in one device – what have I missed? Is it really that easy to stream Amazons content on my TV?

BoardinBob

Prime, netflix, YouTube, now tv, redbull tv etc

Latest consoles are way more than games machines. Proper home entertainment systems

Kryton57

It says it needs an Xbox live sub.

Stainypants

Despite spending 3 hours the other night setting up Microsoft accounts for the kids and installing Fifa still had loads of stress getting Forza and installed,
    kids are happily playing minecraft now. I have no idea how a family who are computer literate could manage.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I had everything installed and set up a week ago, but my smugness was tempered when he got a few games from his Aunts – a few hours a go to install with lots of sugar crazed wails of “whyyyyyyyyy” which is a fair shout.

He wants live now… since when was this a chargeable service?!

weeksy

Always chargeable

Cougar

Live Gold has always been chargeable. Back in the 360 days you also had Live Silver which is the free version. It allows you basic Internet access but you can’t play games online. Which you need for streaming I don’t know, I’d have thought a basic account would suffice if it’s a paid service?

I’ve used ElectronicFirst for my subs forever, much cheaper than buying direct. CDkeys are also well regarded. It’s well worth it, even if just for the free games every couple of weeks.

This thread might help:
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/x-box-1s-purchase-help-please

As I wrote there,

You might want to consider parental controls at that age. You can create your own account on the box as a master a/c (and add the Gold sub to that if he’s going to play online), then add the boy as a family account so you can control what he has access to.

https://support.xbox.com/en-GB/browse/my-account/manage-account/Child%20accounts

https://support.xbox.com/en-GB/xbox-one/security/add-family-member-on-xbox-one

Retromud
    Free Member

Great Xmas devices – it’s all set up and working fine, then the boy loads a game including the 30 min downloading and it crashes all the functions, right down to the home menu. Can’t even factory reset as the settings menu crashes…
    Here son, we got you a £200 brick for Xmas 🙁

noltae
    Free Member

Perform a ‘hard reset’ – press and hold the power button for 10 seconds – the XBOX One will power down .. This sorts oit a fair few issues ..

Retromud
    Free Member

Hard reset no help. Hour later have managed to get far enough to factory default, still crashing before even completing the set up process

Toddboy
    Free Member

So after. A very busy Christmas running around after kids, grand kids, cooking dinner, etc, I decided to set my Xbox One S up for a quick go of Forza 3. Quickly plugged everything in……..and then it had to update………for ages……..then went through all the menus. Great! Now I can play…….oh wait……..Forza 3 now needs to update……currently on 11%

Where’s the mince pies?

leffeboy

The updates thing is maddening. I don’t like to open boxes in advance ad that is part of the excitement but lots of stuff then needs a gazillion accounts and updates before it will play the bloomin cd. What is that about 🙁

darrell
    Free Member

errrrrrrr

no

maybe

Stainypants

you’ll need few, it a took a ages to update but we were playing FIFA whilst it did it.

garage-dweller

Leffeboy I spent two nights on the sofa last week waking every few hours to set updates running/install software and then rebox it before the kids got up.

Pain in the backside that it was at least it worked out of the box. I’ve still got FIFA16 (2nd hand top up game) left to go.

Also what’s the deal with the endless jibberish, movie scenes and lack of instructions in Forza 3 Horizons? I just want a driving game with some tracks and a few cars to dip into from time to time. If I want to watch a movie I will stream one.

Cougar thanks for the link on family accounts. That’s the next challenge to sort.

Brilliant bit of kit now I’m getting the hang of the UI and better signal for the updates as I’ve finally been forced to relocate the router at home to get a decent signal downstairs.

Toddboy
    Free Member

Ok, Forza update complete. I wish I didn’t drink so much to tonight, lol. Brilliant game.

Now downloading Gears of War.

olddog

The trick with Xbox one is to not not run it in full power save mode. If you have in fast power on, basically standby mode, it will run all updates when switched off. Doesn’t help first time out of the box, and I’m not sure how wise if you have a limit on broadband volumes as updates van be several gbytes a go. The constant updating is generally to do with either comparability with OS updates or to do with online play, which is a bit annoying I guess if you don’t actually play on line.

olddog

… and yes I also think Forza Horizon 3 is good, very accessible and fun once you get past ally the nonense about setting up festivals. It’s my go to for a half hour blast

Toddboy
    Free Member

So it it better to run it on the fast power on?

Just had to run another update for the controller.

Lifer
    Free Member

Can you not skip online updates if you don’t play online?

olddog

Yes definitely, there are updates for the games at least every couple of months. If you run power save then it becomes a hell of constant updates every time you want to play, but in standby it all happens overnight when it’s “switched off” and you don’t notice. I imagine Christmas morning with kids having to wait hours for OS to update, set up individual MS accounts and the ages for new game to update is not fun.

My other tip is if you get a gold account to check what’s free regularly. Some good stuff comes up.

olddog

… possibly, but I’m not sure and not in all cases I think. I do tend to play online anyway, but also I use the “fast on” mode so it’s not an issue for me.

seosamh77
    Free Member

if you are just after amazon, buying an xbox is an expensive way to get it on your tele, just buy a fire stick.

Drac

Updates only happen occasionally. I set up my PS4 Pro a few weeks ago in anticipation for last night having a quick blast online with my Bro and nephews. Plugged in again yesterday morning so it was ready when we got back from the in-laws. It had new updates for the PS software itself and a few of the games I’d installed, it was done by about 5pm. 😆

Then when went online to play I’d forgotten I needed to setup the TV resolution and speaker setup. 😐

Still all done now.

duckman

Everybody in the world who got an Xbox is also downloading as well,that’s not going to help either!

Kryton57

Luckily then i didnt promise this kids any gaming today. Ill be setting up shortly before we shoot off to boxing day lunch, so ill leave it in the appropriate mode to update itself.

Sounds bit like Windows 7 inside to me

enfht
    Free Member

My only gripe with the One S is there’s no 3.5mm audio jack output. Only choices are HDMI meaning your screen needs sound and/or its own audio output, or use the optical output. There doesn’t appear to be a supported option using the usb ports either.

wilburt
    Free Member

Streaming TV is definetly the future, Netflix, Now TV, You tube, Iplayer..more than enough content.
    Depends on the interface though, if its a faff to get the xbox working you may prefer using chromecast or apple tv.

Cougar

Also what’s the deal with the endless jibberish, movie scenes and lack of instructions in Forza 3 Horizons?

There’s a bunch of intro cut-scenes and ‘flavour’ which annoyingly you can’t skip (which is unforgivable in 2016). You just need to get past the on-rails bit at the beginning.

Dunno what “instructions” you’re missing, but pretty much every console driving game since Playstation 1 days has had the same control scheme; right trigger = accelerator, left trigger = brake / reverse, left stick = steering. You’ve got the game map on the little menu button to the left of the Guide button and the pause menu on the one to the right (formerly Select and Start respectively, dunno what they’re called on the One); this is another universally common standard.

Drac

My only gripe with the One S is there’s no 3.5mm audio jack output. Only choices are HDMI meaning your screen needs sound and/or its own audio output, or use the optical output. There doesn’t appear to be a supported option using the usb ports either.

There might be Bluetooth options certainly is with the PS but use optical as loads of tech uses that now. I use Bluetooth headset for online.

Kryton57

Well timed…

So I’ve set up – long process – and am waiting for two games to “upgrade”. Sigh. I don’t like the interface as I don’t find the UI intuitive at all – I’m assuming its like Windows 10 which I’m yet to receive at work but will do in January on a new LT.

As for the Audio, I had the choice of using the second HDMI port on my TV so Sky picture direct to TV but optical audio to my sound bar and Xbox direct to TV using the TV speakers, or Sky to Xbox and the optical between the Xbox to my soundbar. I’ve chose the latter so that the Xbox can go through the soundbar as I’m also streaming from Amazon Prime. However, this means the Xbox needs to be on when we are Watching Sky.

As an aside, I managed to accidentally find Amazon Video as an “App” as it wasn’t on the default list of things in the interface – which I’m still struggling with. Anyone got a clear explanation of what “Home” top menu etc is?

Also, does the Xbox upscale the pic from Sky? I’m watching Jungle book (2015) on SD Sky movies through the Xbox and the picture seems very “3d”?

leffeboy

Leffeboy I spent two nights on the sofa last week waking every few hours to set updates running/install software and then rebox it before the kids got up

that probably is the correct solution but it is maddening as they know that you just want to play. Have they no soul? There should be a startup option that says its Christmas – lets play and update while we are snoozing later

Kryton57

So there’s no way of getting past these lengthy installs? I have got a single one done yet, and the disk needs to stay in while you do it. I’m guessing once at one least is finished it can be played whilst another installs? N

Jamie
    Free Member

No. Game discs need to be installed while playing, cuz piracy protections.

Some light reading:

Frequently asked questions

Do I need to install the entire game to my hard drive before I can play it?

No. Some Xbox One games are pretty large, and installing the entire game, especially if you’re downloading it, can take a while. You can start any game before the installation is complete, though not all game features will be available. If you watch the download in the Queue or Games section of My games & apps, “Downloading” changes to “Ready to start” when it’s available to play.

Will I lose my game info and/or progress if I reinstall it?

The Xbox One console saves your gameplay data to the cloud, so if you’ve played your game online, you can resync your game with the cloud once you’ve reinstalled it. See Xbox One cloud game saves FAQ.

Can I play another game while installing one on my Xbox One console?

Yes. You can always play digital games when you’re installing a game from the Xbox Games Store or from disc. You can also play games from disc if you’re installing from the Store.

However, you can’t play games from disc if you’re installing from disc.

Can I install a game while I’m offline?

Yes, you can install a disc-based game while you’re offline. See Using Xbox One offline.

Why do I have to install a game if I have the disc?

Optical disc drives can’t read data quickly enough to keep up with modern games, so you get the best gaming experience when you install the game from a disc on your Xbox One console.

Why does it take so long to install a game?

Game installs depend on how fast a drive can transfer files. The maximum data transfer rate for the Xbox One’s disc drive is currently 54 Mbps. If you think your game is installing too slowly, see Troubleshoot slow game or app downloads on Xbox One.

http://support.xbox.com/en-GB/games/game-setup/install-games#ab214719b1ca4198814c767cd5a93d61

Kryton57

Lucky I didn’t immediately bin the 360 it’s replacing – literally plug and play. :-/

Cougar

this means the Xbox needs to be on when we are Watching Sky.

Does it not pass-through? You can use the One as a header for the Sky box, replacing the EPG. I’ve never tried (I’ve set it up so I can use the Xbox streaming to a PC whilst my OH watches Sky).

Drac

Depending on your TV you have the HDMI running into the TV then Optical out to the sound bar from the TV, the TV does all the work.

Kryton57

Ah. I do have that option I think, I’ll check when I get home, but not sure the lead is long enough!

bensales
    Free Member

garage-dweller – Member

Also what’s the deal with the endless jibberish, movie scenes and lack of instructions in Forza 3 Horizons? I just want a driving game with some tracks and a few cars to dip into from time to time. If I want to watch a movie I will stream one.

Forza 6 would have been a better bet than Horizons 3 then. Horizons (all of them) is an open world driving game centred around missions to improve the ‘festival’.

Forza 6 is the pure console racing game that you just do circuit racing.

Kryton57

Drac – Moderator
    Depending on your TV you have the HDMI running into the TV then Optical out to the sound bar from the TV, the TV does all the work.

This is frustrating. This ^^ works – great I now have independent Sky & Xbox through the same audio box.

However, Sky HD channels had no sound. A bit of googling appears that you need the HD out to be set to “Normal” in the Sky box settings, thus removing Dolby Surround from the Optical output should you be watching an HD channel such as Sky Movies.

Even more complex is we didn’t subscribe to HD but seem perfectly capably of viewing them, and for some channels (Channel five for example) its the default. It also seems hard to determine whether my Sound Box (onkyo LST10) is translating the now Stereo output HD channels to fake surround.

Anyone have any knowledge of how I can improve things? Or am I now stuck with great sounding Xbox & SD, but mere Stereo HD from my Sky box?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Xbox One S – did my world just change?’ is closed to new replies.