Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • XBox 360 – 4 (and potential upgraded HD) or 250?
  • nemesis
    Free Member

I’m looking at getting an XBox 360 for my son – at present, the 4GB model from Asda is looking pretty good value at £115
    http://direct.asda.com/Xbox-360-4GB-Console/003711387,default,pd.html
    (+ cost of extra controller I guess)

From my understanding, the 4Gb model should do what we need – eg play games that we get on disc (do you really need to download games to HD – slightly slower load times doesn’t seem like a big issue) and I understand that you can stick in a USB stick to extend it by 16Gb anyway.

Or have I missed something? This isn’t really for hardcore gaming (yet!) and by my reckoning, if I really needed to, I could fit in a larger hard drive anyway for potentially less cost than getting the 250 in the first place anyway.

Or have I got it wrong? Any other suggestions/comments/tips?

Thanks 🙂

Gary_M
    Free Member

You can pick up a used 250gb for £80 on eBay.

samuri
    Free Member

Most games install stuff on the hard drive and any updates you get will need to go on the hard drive as well. Depending on the game this can be quite a lot, some games will want more than 4GB, but not many. You also need space for game saves but they’re usually very small.

You’re right though that a USB pen drive can be used quite happily for both game content and updates.

I have a 20GB HD 360 and I’ve never wanted more

nemesis
    Free Member

Thanks guys.

I know I can get a cheaper one on eBay but it seems common enough that there are problems that buying new seems like the better option in this instance.

takisawa2

The 4gb will be fine.
    You can pick up a HD off EBay quite cheap if you need one.

Drac
    ssbnreso
    Free Member

My boys have one each, a 250gb and the youngest a 4gb.
    Only a couple of games won’t play on the 4gb which in a way is a good thing as he shouldn’t be playing on them anyway!
    But all the games I deem suitable for him ie FIFA, racing games, disney infinity etc all play no problem on the 4gb console.

bradley
    Free Member

*checks available GB on his 250GB 360*

bradley
    Free Member

Ok I dunno what GB my HD is but I’ve got about 37GB used on my X360. I’m not hardcore by any stretch but Crysis 2 for example takes up 5.5GB. Just get the 250 to save any hassle and messing around.

nemesis
    Free Member

Thanks again all.

A slight twist now…

Was round my brother in law’s today and he’s just given me his xbox 360.. This is one of the original white ones with, I think 20gb hard drive.

I think this will probably do the job perfectly well other than I can’t do wifi without an add on but I can probably get an ethernet cable to it.

So are there any other pitfalls I should be aware of?

I had actuality bought the 4gb model from Asda so planning to cancel that now.

olddog

I use one of those broadband over the power-line adaptors – I had the wifi add on for the 360 but it was really slow for me…

You probably realise, but you can get 2nd hands for next to nothing at CEX.

nemesis
    Free Member

Thanks for that. As far as I can tell, given that I was given the xbox free, there’s not really anything that it won’t do that a new one (or second hand 250Gb version) would do so I’m pretty happy with it and from what I could see online, I can get a wifi adapter (non-MS) for about a tenner to sort out that part.

samuri
    Free Member

non-MS wifi adapters don’t work as far as I know. Either plug a cable in via whatever method works best (powerline is a good one), or buy the MS device.

nemesis
    Free Member

Ah, ok – there are ones out there claiming to work but maybe best to stick with ethernet which is easy enough as I’ve got a router in the room.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘XBox 360 – 4 (and potential upgraded HD) or 250?’ is closed to new replies.