Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • xbox ?
  • mollski
    Free Member

does the new xbox get the ring of death,or has that been fixed now?

MrsToast
    Free Member

It’s been fixed for the last couple of models I think – better heatsinks and chipsets that draw less power (I think!). Should certainly be safe with one of the new slim ones, even though they’re not that slim and are a funny shape.

Drac

Sort of it’s less likely to but still happens.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

What Drac said. Still got problems just less likely.

Cougar

There isn’t “the problem” with the new models; however, they can become faulty just like any consumer electronics. Because their predecessors had problems, the first time a new one broke the tabloid wing of the Internet had a field day.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Bro in law sent his off to Microsoft and they fixed it for free even tho it was two yrs old!

Cougar

That’s three year warranties for you.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Three yr warranties? News to me?

tony24
    Free Member

The red ring of death warranty was made 3 years but all other parts 1 year. The new xbox 360 can’t red ring because they removed the red lights. So no more 3. Year warrantys to cover. New 1 should always turn itself off before over heating as it has a thermal shutdown on it.

Cougar

The new xbox 360 can’t red ring because they removed the red lights.

That’s funny.

The RRoD means “internal failure,” it’s a generic error code that could mean anything. In practice, the most common failure by a long way occurs due to a component coming adrift due to heat.

Whist it’s true that the three year warranty is “only” for the RRoD, it’s a little disingenuous to imply that “everything else” is one year. There aren’t many other things that could fail on it which wouldn’t cause a RRoD.

The newer ‘big box’ models are less prone to failures that the old ones, but it does still happen. My Elite went pop after two years, and it went to Microsoft Germany and back in about ten days.

The newest ‘slim’ models don’t suffer from the same overheating problem that dogged the early ones, but as I said earlier they can still fail just like anything else can. An internal failure on these models doesn’t report as a RRoD, because as Tony says the LEDs are different. IIRC, they use a single red LED to report a fault.

xiphon
    Free Member

The RRoD was from the GPU overheatng.

They changed the GPU chip from 80nm to 65mn, and this cured the problem.

I have a beige ‘Jasper’ model Xbox 360.

Cougar

The RRoD was usually from the GPU overheatng.

They changed the GPU chip from 80nm to 65mn, and this cured reduced the problem.

FTFY.

The slim 360’s GPU is smaller again, 45nm IIRC.

dafunkphenomenon
    Free Member

The E74 error is also covered under the 3 years warranty I believe.
    Can’t remember what light combo that is now but it will show it on you TV

warton
    Free Member

I got an E74, and yes it is covered for three years.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘xbox ?’ is closed to new replies.