Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • X9 Type 2 'knocking' sound (possibly)
  • deadkenny
    Free Member

Just checking what people experience with their Type 2 mechs.

I’ve been getting what seemed to be a knocking sound on my Nomad when I compress the rear suspension, at least by leaning hard on the back. Not really noticing it when riding but there’s trail noise.

Was thinking it was the pivots, but just had a thought and locked the Type 2 forward thus releasing all tension on the chain and the noise goes away. Flick it back and it’s there again. Thinking about it, pulling the cage forward it’s stiff and makes a bit of a friction sound doing so.

All normal and just part of the clutch mechanism? Or is it possible the tension affects the pivots on the bike and it could still be something there. Does really seem to be the mech though.

Other than the sound I’ve got no issue with it. All running fine, just odd when I cycle the suspension or as it compresses when getting on the bike.

FYI – it’s a short mech on a 1×10 set up, 34t front, 11-36 rear.

simon430
    Free Member

Mines the same, on a giant trance, as the suspension compresses the chain length is increased a bit so pulls the mech forward slightly creating the knocking noise.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Cool. Sounds normal then. Was nearly going to strip down the pivots (though will give it a service soon anyway). Now I’m good to ride 🙂

deadkenny
    Free Member

Hmm, I notice it a bit riding now, or more of a spring stretch creaking kind of noise which produces an odd feel on the pedals too over bumps. Maybe the mech needs a bit of a service. Either that or I’ve got the chain too tight, though it’s not snapped and looser it seemed too slack.

I wonder about a medium cage for a 1×10 on a full sus. Usual advice seems to be short is best for 1×10 though.

strike
    Free Member

Same for me too – quite disconcerting at first and became convinced something was going wrong with my rear shock!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘X9 Type 2 'knocking' sound (possibly)’ is closed to new replies.