Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • X7 or X9
  • nemesis
    Free Member

I’ve been looking for a SRAM type 2, medium cage mech for a few days on the wanted section of the classifieds without much luck so I’ll have to bite the bullet and buy a new one I guess..

So, what’s the difference between the X7 and X9 ones? Are they made of the same cheese with just a few grammes between them or is there any real functional difference other than the +2 pixie dust magic from 7->9?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

X9 minimum for me for mechs, seem to be better than the X7. Running smooth and fine for a year now, missus has the same at 18months and all good.

nemesis
    Free Member

On what basis better though? Don’t get me wrong, I have XT and XTR on other bikes but I don’t really kid myself that they’re better functionally, just maybe a little bit more durable long term.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

X9 is worth the extra I think. I’ve just, bit by bit, upgraded from x-7 to x-9.

For me the key benefits are:

Shifters: X9 do feel nicer and have a detatchable handlebar clamp so are matchmaker compatalbe

Crank: X9 are in 2-piece so you can slide off the chain ring spider and use CNC’d direct mount chainrings – the best way to go if you’re going 1×10. They’re also hollow crank arms so (supposidly) lighter (I couldn’t really tell by the hand scales.

Rear mech: just much better quality. My X7 mech broke on me after about 3 rides – the cast body just broke just below the mounting bolt. I just went straight to an x9. Also x9 is available as a clutch mech which is a worthwile upgrade even if you’re not running 1×10

mikewsmith
    Free Member

quality, running X0 on the shifter

rocketman
    Free Member

Personally I don’t think there’s any functional difference between the two assuming they’re working properly. Have run various combos of X7 and X9 for several years sure the X9 mech looks better but it shifts the same.

The biggest difference – by a huge margin – is in the shifters

X7 does what is has to
    X9 the same as X7 but looks better
    X0 is like alien tech in comparison

PJM1974
    Free Member

I’ve mixed opinions, but then I haven’t tried the latest 10 speed X7/X9 kit. My old nine speed X9 mech doesn’t have enough spring tension to engage the smallest cog but the shifters feel good in an agricultural sort of a way. I’ve a set of seven year old X9s that died a year or so back when the return spring broke, but some bodge surgery sorted them out and they’re still going on Mrs PJM’s bike.

nemesis
    Free Member

It’s just the mech I’m after (it’s going on a campag shiftered CX bike) but thanks for the replies so far…

RicB

With previous generations X7 was machined but X9 forged so much stronger. Not sure if that’s still the case though

wobbliscott
    Free Member

If its just the mech for a CX bike then X7 will be fine. They’re dirt cheap and funcionally do the same thing just as well (just as every rear mech does – all you’re really paying more for is bling and weight).

nemesis
    Free Member

Dirt cheap being about £45-£50, right? I haven’t seen them any cheaper than that.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘X7 or X9’ is closed to new replies.