Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • x2: hacked Gmail, and using tablets for "work"
  • scaredypants

Morning all !

1) My wife’s gmail appears to have been hacked – all contacts received some spammy crap yesterday (seems to have genuinely come from her a/c rather than a pretend sender field). SHe’s changed her password and emailed everyone just in case somebody’s daft enough to open the link in the spam fritter
    Is that it now – sorted, or can she expect the inbox contents to be scanned for other details,passwords etc too ?

2) Android tabs – any good for doing reali(ish) stuff like word processing ? DO you need to buy appage or is decent free crap available ?

(oh, I know this is just laziness and I could google it but I have a feeling that Q1 will lead me to tinfoilhats.com and anyway, it’s so much nicer when a caring stranger lets me do **** all and get away with it)

Pretty please ? :flutter: 😳

Cougar

1) Do a malware scan on any PC she’s used to access her email. Does she use the same password for anything (/everything) else? That needs changing too.

scaredypants

thanks cougar – sorry should’ve said, malwarebytes is on the go right now

z1ppy

1) Well in my & a couple of friends cases, just changing the password was the end of it. Very annoying, and if anything I learned not to sign-in to my account on any old random computer. Ummm, not that I used the same password for a number of things, oh no… but I experienced no further issues (6 months + ago)

2) I have no experience of actual tab’s (other than in shop fondling and reading reviews), I believe something like the Asus Transformer (or the like) with an attachable keyboard might be definitely worth investigating if you do a lot of word processing.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

1) My dummy (noreply@) account was hacked last week. Stupidly – I used the same password on lots of sites and for the email account. Fortunately the only folk spammed were those I never want to hear from anyway. Password change appears to have sorted it.

Oh – and top marks to Google who were super quick in spotting the problem and suspending the account.

trail_rat
    Free Member

tablets – depends what you mean by work

if i was word processing id use an external keyboard and get on with it

the lack of mouse does frustrate me when doing certain things

bare in mind they were never designed to be a productive tool and more a consumption device. Mines gets used for making minor changes to documents ive been sent for approval or need to forward on to purchasing/shipping but i wouldnt like to bash out an internal proceedure (10000words give or take) on one

Ive gone full circle and my next IT purchase will be a desk top PC for the home office to encourage a divide between work and play – its too easy to end up working infront of the TV on the laptop

scaredypants

thanks all

pretty sure she uses same p/w everywhere but really only work systems inaccessible except from on the premises, and her laptop – which presumably they can’t target specifically just from a gmail address ?
    (I’ll get her to change all anyway, but it’ll take “days” I’m sure)

tablet thing was idle wondering about suitability for kids to use (including writing short docs for school – there’s a pc with office on it for bigger jobs); think I’ve dismissed it now

CountZero

tablet thing was idle wondering about suitability for kids to use (including writing short docs for school – there’s a pc with office on it for bigger jobs); think I’ve dismissed it now

Perfectly adequate for that, the complete Apple iWorks suite is available for the iPad now, you just use the BT Apple keyboard for extensive work, for example. The whole “bare in mind they were never designed to be a productive tool and more a consumption device…” thing has been proved to be bogus; medical staff, pilots, musicians… many people are using tablets for productive work, the Enterprise sector is now adopting them in very large numbers, particularly in America, where large Government agencies are being issued with iPads, NOAA being one of the latest.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“The whole “bare in mind they were never designed to be a productive tool and more a consumption device…” thing has been proved to be bogus; medical staff, pilots, musicians… many people are using tablets for productive work, the Enterprise sector is now adopting them in very large numbers, particularly in America, where large Government agencies are being issued with iPads”

aye and how many of them are using them to bang out documents or spreadsheets. – more likely they are using them for data entry onto sheets that involve typing a few words or selecting from menus which is fine but i would not like to be doing much more than note taking on my ipad.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘x2: hacked Gmail, and using tablets for "work"’ is closed to new replies.