Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • X Fusion Velvet RL2 problem?
  • peelywally
    Free Member

Just looking for some advice from any Velvet RL2 owners out there. Went to add some air to my 2013 Velvet the other day and noticed some fluid coming out of the air valve when I removed the shock pump. Now I’m sure that that the feel and the noise of the fork when uncompressing the fork is different (more of a scooshing noise). I’ve since let all the air out and then pressurised it again. No fluid this time but I’m sure the fork isn’t responding as well as it did previously. Oh and I have to push down hard on the fork at the start or riding to start it moving as it it is locked out (but isn’t). Its always done that though. Any advice appreciated!

welshfarmer

Can’t help with the fist questions but my Velvets have always stuck until you get them moving. This is a well known stiction issue and nothing to worry about.

kayla1
    Free Member

Do they have an open oil bath or is there a separate damper cartridge and the stanchions are greased?

I had a similar thing with the Raidons on my bike, I took them apart and cleaned the grease off the stanchions and when I put them back together I put 20ml of 10wt oil in each leg. It made the world of difference. I did the same thing with the Epicons I’ve got on there now.

Is the rebound adjuster on the bottom of one leg, with a plain bolt on the other? I’m guessing the air goes in the top of the left fork leg too. I did a quick google and the travel adjust method is exactly the same as the Epicon.

peelywally
    Free Member

Thanks guys. I’d read about the stiction but wasn’t sure if it was so pronounced or a different issue. Yeah Kayla1, the rebound adjuster is on one leg with a plain bolt on the other and the air valve at the top of the left leg. Pretty sure they have an open oil bath. Think a strip down is the way to go 🙂

cp

Quite normal to have a bit of fluid squirt out.

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

Try some Juice lubes fork juice, that help. (should be using it on all forks anyway, it helps keeping the seals clean)

As for the fluid coming out of the valve, it is common practice to put fluid (fox float fluid/SRAM red rum etc, some forks have moved to grease but IMO fluid is much better) on top of the air piston to keep the seal lubes and help against seal stiction. you could always remove the air valve and put a little bit more fluid in there. it was also a trick to put extra fluid in the air chamber to help to get a more raising spring rate at the end of the fork stroke.

peelywally
    Free Member

Decided to set them up again from scratch as used some Juice Lubes as recommended by MTB Rob. All sorted and they’re back to their plush selves again. Thanks everyone 🙂

loganm2977
    Free Member

Hopefully related question:

I have a new Velvet RL2, came stock on my Commencal Meta HT SX, and on the rebound stroke it makes a sucking air sound. Is this normal? I’ve scoured the internet and this forum and can’t seem to find a direct answer. I’ve read that this sound is the rebound circuit at work, which makes sense as the sound changes based on rebound settings.

Is it normal for Velvet’s to make this sound?

I appreciate any response you guys might have and hope I’m okay posting this here rather than a new thread.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘X Fusion Velvet RL2 problem?’ is closed to new replies.