Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • X Fusion slants….confused!
  • sonnyjim
    Free Member

I have been offered a practically new set of X Fusion slants as I am building up a 650b hardtail. Seller claims they will take both 26 and 650b wheels. After some internet research it seems some say yes, some say no, others say a spacer has to be fitted at factory. Their own website claims 26″ only. I’m confused to say the least.
    Anyone got a set with 650b wheels fitted that can confirm, most posts I have read are pre 2014 and are usually people who are either waiting for an ordered set or don’t even have a set.

Cheers

Sonnyjim

rab5474
    Free Member

I have a set not running 650b currently but have tried them with a 650b wheel and the spacer fitted and there is plenty of clearance

sonnyjim
    Free Member

Ok so a spacer is needed, does this come with the fork or is it bought separately or factory fit only.

Cheers

Oh and is it easy to fit?

neilwheel
    Free Member

I have a pair on 26″ wheels.

With a large volume 650B tyre fitted it will rub on the crown at full compression. A 10mm travel reducer spacer can be fitted to avoid this. This was the information I was given for 2012 onwards forks.

sonnyjim
    Free Member

Ok getting somewhere now, rab5474 was the spacer supplied with the fork as new and did you fit/remove it yourself?

Cheers

neilwheel
    Free Member

I bought my forks new, no 10mm spacer supplied, as the standard adjustment is in 20mm steps with the ladder pin. Should be available as a spare part if not included.

winch
    Free Member

I had a set of Sants since November, 26″ with 26″ wheels and a Magic Mary on the front. In the alps enough mud got between the tyre and the arch to lock the wheel. On that basis I’d say running a 650b wheel would be a no no.

Scapegoat

I have a pair on 26″ wheels.

With a large volume 650B tyre fitted it will rub on the crown at full compression. A 10mm travel reducer spacer can be fitted to avoid this. This was the information I was given for 2012 onwards forks.

But, the distance between axle and arch is what limits the wheel size, surely? How would a spacer which affects travel change the length of the lower leg??

matthew_h
    Free Member

X Fusion changed the lowers casting on the Slants for the 2014 models. The pre-2014 lowers (which have the Syntace axle) will not readily clear a 650b wheel at all. The 2014 lowers (which have a Maxle style axle) are exactly the same as the lowers for the Sweep (their 650b fork) and will take a 650b wheel fine.

The Sweep has a different offset in the crown in order to suit 650b better than the later Slants but both will take 650b wheels fine.

SOAP
    Free Member

I’ve got 2.4 trail kings on mine and you can still get a bus between the tyre and the arch.

Flippinkipper
    Free Member

Ok, I have 2014 Slants and my brother has 27.5 Pikes. Clearance with his 27.5 wheel in both (Bonty XR4 2.3 – comes up big) is roughly the same in both, despite the slants being 26″. I tested this by putting my thumb between the brace and tyre on both forks.

Tracey

Abigale has the 2014s on her Enduro. They can take both sizes. There is loads of room above a 26 inch Butcher tyre

Jeffus
    Free Member

Clearing the brace on the lowers is not the problem its wether the tyre hits the crown of the fork uppers, let all the air out and compress fork through all of its travel then check tyre clearance, my 36’s had 13mm clearance with a 2.25 Ardent 650b but my 32’s touched with about 25mm to go to full travel.

winch
    Free Member

The pre-2014 lowers (which have the Syntace axle) will not readily clear a 650b wheel at all

Yup, mine have the syntace axle.

matther01
    Free Member

Check with upgradebikes…like I did and speak to Martin.

simonbowns
    Free Member

Indeed – if it’s the 2014 it will still want the travel limiting to avoid tyre/crown, but 2013 won’t clear at the arch no matter what.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘X Fusion slants….confused!’ is closed to new replies.