Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • x control 310 or zesty 214
  • barty1
    Free Member

swapping from an hardtail and possibly looking at either of these two. Can anyone comment on the x control as I know very little about it (other than the spec)I know they have different geometry/suspension height etc but I would like feedback please

flyingfox
    Free Member

We have the X-control 410 2010 on offer (as do many other shops I’m sure). Worth checking out.

Anyway, the x-control really rewards the confident rider. Quicker than the Zesty (it has 100mm rear so you’d hope so). Singletrack loved it. It really depends what you’re riding to be fair. If you’re really wanting to up your game on a bike that can really handle just about anything, go for the Zesty. If you want a bike that you can climb fast on and maybe won’t get you out of quite as many crazy drop-offs and technical terrain, go for the x-control. Both are fantastic, solid bikes. Tell us what you want and what you ride and we may be able to help you further.

rewski
    Free Member

How much is the X-control 410 2010 and do you have a large?

barty1
    Free Member

I ride around the peak district(hope valley,Ladybower etc),Quantocks (father in law lives on the edge of these)I prefer natural trails and would like a good all rounder but unsure if I need 140mm. I have tried the zesty and liked it altough it was only really on flat terrain.Also ride cannock and looking to visit wales a few times this year as I have free use of a cabin. I just don’t want to get caught out without enough suss or not enough and being nagged(by the missus)for wasting money

rewski
    Free Member

To be honest I’d go for the Zesty, especially if you got a hardtail. I’ve got a 514 and it’s more than happy doing all day XC rides,nice to have the travel there when you need it. Buy your missus the x-control.

Cubed
    Free Member

I had the same dilemma. Bought the zesty. X control just didn’t convince when test ridden. 214 Good upgrade potential and is a sweet ride. Changed the wheels over and just getting to grips with it. Definitely a better bike if you want to ride cannock and fancy a crack at wales.

flyingfox
    Free Member

rewski – it’s here: Lapierre

TomZesty
    Free Member

I had a similar dilemma to you – did I need that extra travel. I eventually went with zesty 214 and haven’t regretted it since – I regularly use all the travel and just seem to be getting faster and faster on it. Even with the heavy basic wheelset it comes with it still only weighs 30ib which isn’t too bad for all day riding, plus it can handle bit more hardcore stuff when you fancy it. I love it!

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I judt got a Zesty 214 and reckon it pedals better than my old 120mm Trek Fuel Ex (pre-ABP). The Trek seemed very pro-pedal dependant. The Zesty is very stable under pedalling.

It maybe doesn’t help the decision between the Zesty and the X-Control, but for 140mm it never feels over the top. All the mags liked the X-Control but normally commented that the Zesty was more fun, more versatile, and nearly as quick.

barty1
    Free Member

thanx all bring on the zesty

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘x control 310 or zesty 214’ is closed to new replies.