Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Wye Dale to Bakewell Route
  • Andituk
    Free Member

Quite fancy riding the newly opened Monsal Trail, but was wondering if its possibly to make it into a loop without doing too much on road.

Best option so far looks to be, PBW to Chelmorton, then Limestone Way to Youlgrave, then road over Conksbury and back to Bakewell.

Anyone know of any better way or have any suggestions?

amodicumofgnar

I’d go the otherway round.

East on trail to its end then climb to Coombs Farm, Bowling Green Farm, Haddon Hall, bridleway up and over to Raper Lodge – just to get the excellent little section through the woods. Youlgreave, Middleton, track to Kenslow Farm, turn right and then left to get track onto High Peak Trail. Limestone way into Priestcliffe – better than PBW, then PBW down to Wyedale, brew at the new tea hut and down hill all the way to Bakewell. I really like the whole trail – esp Water Cum Jolly.

More technical but a very convoluted. Bakewell to Millersdale. Leave Millersdale Station, climb to Wormhill, PBW – east, climb to Monksdale House, drop back into MillersDale on track. Turn right, head back to station and take trail West to Wyedale, head south on PBW to minor road nr Chelmorton then turn E and then turn onto Limestone Way, follow down to A6. Cross and head to Priescliffe, take Left fork track at end of priestcliffe and drop down to B6049 then climb up past Millersdale Station to Wormhill. PBW West and back to Wyedale. Monsal Trail back to Millers Dale, B6049 and then track rather than road to Priescliffe Ditch then to Priescliffe, Brushfield, Putwell Hill and the bridleway to the end of the viaduct. Back to Bakewell. Normally I’d suggest a less knotted version of this but have gone for riding most of the trail in both directions.

amodicumofgnar

Should also have said it will be very busy – last weekend it was get off and walk through the crowds on the viaducts. Only other thing to watch is in bright sunlight it can be difficult seeing people just in the tunnel mouths as you ride into them.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Wye Dale to Bakewell Route’ is closed to new replies.