Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • www.MTBtrails.info
  • fetcas
    Free Member

Hello All,

I’ve just launched a new MTB trail website called MTBtrails.info

It’s free, open to all, and hopefully does a good job of bringing trail info to life. All the stuff in there at the moment is in Scotland, but it’s open to the whole of the UK.

Check it out. Let me know what you think 🙂

http://www.MTBtrails.info

cumbrianmonkey
    Free Member

Really good mate. It’ll be awesome when it fills out with photos and videos but the info and the way it works is excellent

superfli
    Free Member

Yeah, liking that site. Be great when it gets filled with some of the rest of UK. Bookmarked

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    foxyrider
    Free Member

Looks promising 🙂 – Posted on twitter and FB 🙂

stanfree
    Free Member

Very good , I’ll bookmark for future use.

jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

running really slowly but i assume because there’s a lot of traffic right now.. something you might want to consider though.

good to see a proper map system – however you should definitely be putting more emphasis on the “view trail” and gps section – i didn’t initially notice that it was a feature until i noticed it in the FAQ, and had to do a bit of a hunt around on a trail page before i noticed the button – that’s a great boost to your site over some others i’ve seen, so get it clear and up front.

looks very promising though, it’s been well thought out and implemented. I would be wary of the anon editing without moderation but you can always change that if it gets too much.

cardiff
    Free Member

Looks like a great site to me, can’t wait for the rest of the country to be populated! Any ideas if I can upload a route logged on GPS from a phone? If so I’ll look to log my next few rides around Wales and get them up!

fetcas
    Free Member

cardiff, Yep GPS from a phone works perfectly. Most GPS software (phones included) normally provide a way to export “GPX” files nowadays. This is a standard interchange format for GPS data. If your phone can make GPX (or any of the many other formats listed on the upload page) you can create a trail from it on the site no probs.

It’d be great to see some data appearing on the site for the rest of the UK. Get uploading! 🙂

Cheers,

Wayne.

iain1775
    Free Member

Looks good will have a proper explore later when on computer rather than phone
    Can I use sportstracker to upload routes?

wenanwhere
    Free Member

Looks good at initial glance, is there/will there be an export function to garmins? Slow to load at the moment so can’t really have a proper look

fetcas
    Free Member

Very heavy usage at the moment. I think my server is kinda pooping itself 😉

dh
    Free Member

aye looks good.

will have a proper play over the holidays.

Dave

fetcas
    Free Member

Yep it works with Garmins. It exports to a huge list of GPS file formats. I’ve not found a device it can’t export to yet. 🙂

scu98rkr
    Free Member

looks great !

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Even the about page is brill !

geologist
    Free Member

“MTBtrails.info is a FREE resource for mountain-bikers in Scotland to share details about all kinds of mountain bike trails.”

How about changing the in scotland bit, to UK or something like that.

Hopefull then you will get us soft southerners adding routes too.

Love the site though, the UK has been waiting for a decent route guide site for ages. There is not anything thats decent at the minute. You have potentially hit on a good thing here.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

looks good – nicely set out and reasonably easy to use.

i’ve been getting all geeky with my work website r.e. search engine optimisation (SEO) – i reckon there’s some easy stuff you could do to make it work better in search engines (i.e. appear high up for google searches of ‘mtb trails scotland’)

this is a pretty good starter guide for it all;

http://www.seomoz.org/beginners-guide-to-seo

🙂

kd48

Well done fetcas, excellent resource. I’ll now have to learn how to use the GPS on my phone and upload routes round Fife, Kinross & Stirling.

Cheers

steffybhoy
    Free Member

Brilliant Stuff. Lots of work been done there, very much appreciated.

robhenry85
    Free Member

looks good that, just added the red route round dalby. nice and easy to use, hope ive done it right 😉

fetcas
    Free Member

Thanks for the tip on SEO. I think that’s definitely something I need to look into.

Yep, it would be really easy to re-focus the site on the whole UK. That was something I always had in mind. Sold. When I get a chance, I’ll change it 🙂

Cheers

fetcas
    Free Member

wow… it really doesn’t take long for a topic to get pushed right down the list on here eh?

Very busy forum 🙂

Anyway, MTBtrails.info now has 97 trails on it. 100 before xmas?

gsp1984
    Free Member

Looks great, much easier to search for MTB specific than garmin connect, gpsies etc.

I would make more emphasis on the whole of the UK part though. The description on the site talks specifically about scotland. Then I noticed a few further south.

andytherocketeer

Looks good. I like it when there’s been a bit of effort listing suggested trails, rather than gpsies, wikiloc, etc. which are often a bit “this is the ride I did last sunday”.

Would have been ace for my trip last yr to Scotland. We cobbled together a handful of tours from numerous sources, including here, and some educated guess work with an OS map. Good to see that those trails are already in, and our guess work was not bad.

Dair
    Free Member

Really good work! Running a bit slowly just now, but I’m sure that will sort itself out.

Love the integration of the mapping tool.

Tweeting now!

legolam
    Free Member

Good work! I’m starting to add some trails in the NE of England, hope that’s OK.

fetcas
    Free Member

Right… whole of the UK it is!

I have just finished changing the site to encompass the whole of the UK. Didn’t take much actually, all I’ve had to do was change the wording on the welcome and about pages and make the main trail map start-up with a view of the whole country.

But if you spot any Scotland-centric bits I’ve forgotten to change, please let me know.

Cheers,

Wayne.

Duggan

Wow, at first glance that looks really good!

Not sure if it’s just me but I always thought it a bit strange that none of the mapping sites I’ve been on used an OS style map.

Need to get some routes on, I’ll try and add a few when I get time.

jimster
    Free Member

Really like that, just a pity I didn’t see it in September before we went to Newtonmore.

sniff
    Free Member

Nice site Wayne – well done.

Loading is slow for me. After having a quick look your images are too big. Try cutting back to 72 dpi rather than 95.

The latest picture uploads section doesn’t really work for me – the thumbnails are just random sections of the pic so riders are missing etc.

jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

dpi has no meaning digitally, you probably mean jpg image compression (as a percentage). I don’t think that will be making a huge amount of difference.

latest image uploads is cropped to a square so will usually get something decent but is always a little hit and miss..

justhuckit

Totally awesome site fetcas…really addresses a gap in t’internet for mtbers. Some really great content on there too. Well played!

legolam
    Free Member

Can someone put some more NE England routes up? I’m bored of mine!

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘www.MTBtrails.info’ is closed to new replies.