Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • WWSTWD? (new wheels faffage)
  • scotlandthedave
    Free Member

bear with me here 🙂

parameters:
    1. buying a new bike
    2. settled on a custom build
    3. fancy carbon rims for it
    4. currently have a set of white DT 240s hubs on EX1750 wheels
    4a. hubs are the right size, but wrong colour (need to be black so would need anodised / coated)
    4b. would need an XD driver too
    4c. i have 95% of the DT swiss service kit (which set me back £120 a couple of years back)
    5. have a budget of £600 for wheels
    6. wheels would be getting professionally built.

would you:

1. buy new wheels direct from light bicycle with pro2 evo and XD driver
    2. buy rims direct from LB, source alternative hubs in the UK and build
    3. buy rims from LB, refurbish hubs and rebuild
    4. buy superstar AM carbons for £600
    5. sack the idea altogether and buy arch EX on pro2’s for c. £300

I’m drawn to buy LB rims, after reading the 18 page thread on here. Honestly i’d be loathe to ditch the 240 hubs as they have been flawless and i dont think they would fetch much as part of a 26″ wheelset. I need to investigate costs to get hubs redone if its even possible.

shape my thinking, ridicule me or post some random guff, lets hear your suggestions.

nedrapier

Happy to give you “not much” for the 26″ inch wheelset! 🙂

Seriously, if you’ve got a figure in mind, ping me an email (in profile)

scotlandthedave
    Free Member

I haven’t actually checked what a s/h 26″ EX1750 wheelset would go for, but if i split the bike to sell i’ll keep you in mind mate.

Anodizing looks expensive, so wondering if powdercoating might be an option..

njee20
    Free Member

Am I missing something?

240 front hub, 240 rear hub, so £300 ish the pair. LB rims ~£250, DT spokes c£40, bit for the labour, offset by getting “not much” for your 26″ wheels?

Starbike probably aren’t cheapest for hubs either, first place I checked.

scotlandthedave
    Free Member

i’d still have to buy the XD driver for the new hub too by the looks of things, which is a bit annoying.

njee20
    Free Member

i’d still have to buy the XD driver for the new hub too by the looks of things, which is a bit annoying.

You can buy in various permutations, which axle standard? 142×12 does push the hub price up, but still reckon you could do it for £600, or very close.

scotlandthedave
    Free Member

yeah, it would be 142*12 required. I’ve actually had second thoughts about whether the existing hub is 142*12 or a 10mm through axle with the DT swiss skewer. If thats the case then it would almost certainly not be worth destroying a wheelset to reuse the hubs..

option 6 – buy some cheap second hand black DT swiss wheels in 26″ and cannibalise / refurb 🙂

you’re probably right, the messing around with old wheels / hubs is probably not significantly cheaper than buying new, especially given i’ll be forking out for the XD freehub one way or another. Dont know about you lot but sometimes i get romantic notions of refurbing things to factory state and having something awesome at the end of it, but the reality is rarely like that..

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘WWSTWD? (new wheels faffage)’ is closed to new replies.