Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Wüsthof vs Tojiro ? (Kitchen ware experience)
  • popstar
    Free Member

Ok, I need some help.

Recently I got some comments from mother-in-law:
    – You can see a calibre of a man at checking the state of kitchen knives in his house.
    It was typical of mother-in-law venomous comment, but she caught me out.
    Our set is old cheapie from the market but I’ve kept it in good nick over 10years by constantly sharpening them up.
    After recent comments I tried to remedy situation but unfortunately however I try I just can’t claim past glory of razor sharp knives. The metal base is just too thick to grind any angle to it.
    My manliness points score is at all time low, coz my wife agreed about it. She said -Yes, a man takes care of these things so just deal with it.

So now is the time to unleash my old self into glory of manliness and get proper knives to shut old woman up. I want those bad boys plant fear and respect to those who use them.

Googled a bit and asked opinion of my wife. Seeing prices she insisted me visiting psychiater. Woman don’t know this is not laughing matter for me so I will get them nonetheless.

So here I ask knife aficionados, what’s your experience and recommendation of either Wüsthof (Euro style/geometry) vs Tojiro (Japanese wonder) ?

Looking into ease of maintenance (sharpness) and longevity as price tag must justify it and serve us good.

leffeboy

Love wusthof but there are others. If you go fancy though make sure it is dish washable. Some fancy stuff isn’t 🙁

Frankers
    Free Member

Solingen Steel all the way for me

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Wüsthof Classics for me. Love ’em! Plain, understated and just very good knives.

Kuco

I’ve got a couple of Wusthof ikon classic that was recommended by the shop I brought them from.

juanking

Henkel/Zwilling 5 star set here, very sharp, hold an edge and easy to sharpen.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

If you go fancy though make sure it is dish washable

handwash your knives.

loum
    Free Member

What a disappointing Mother-in-Law/Sharp-knife thread.
    😥

plus-one

New wife needed mate 😉

somafunk

Recently I got some comments from mother-in-law:
    – You can see a calibre of a man at checking the state of kitchen knives in his house.

Personally i’d grow a set of balls and tell her to f- right off, what a sneeringly up her own arse self-assured social standing hag, apologies if you find that personally offensive but how can you allow anyone to talk to yourself or infer such an elitist attitude against you in your own house?.

I’ve got a few mates who are very-very experienced chefs/ran very successful restaurants and whilst they do have nice kit in the workplace when visiting their homes you’ll get served the most amazing, well prepared food made with old/scrappy bog standard carbon steel knives that have been sharpened to practically nothing and cooked in basic blackened pans with dents and missing handles etc.

Then again i guess it’s up to yourself if you wish to capitulate to her verbal put downs.

thejesmonddingo

Just ask M-I-L to stand nice and still,then reassure yourself about the sharpness of your current knives.You could ask DW to stand next to her.

MrSynthpop
    Free Member

Put a bonesaw in the knife drawer for her to find next time, then give her a wink

leffeboy

handwash your knives.

Agreed but the spec. was for for ease of maintenance. Wouldn’t want to get a fancy knife and have it buggered by the dishwasher by accident 🙁

manton69

I have one of and these and it is an absolutely amazing knife to use. However I also have a bog standard Victorinox paring knife and an old Sabatier in the drawer, but the Kaji is what is used most of the time. I know it is sad, but this will last a very long time, probably longer than me. It is also a work of art as well as a knife, but perhaps I have to go and get a life………

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Wüsthof vs Tojiro ? (Kitchen ware experience)’ is closed to new replies.