Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)
  • WTH – Where does all the sugar come from?
  • rkk01
    Free Member

Right, then…

Following last week’s thread on fitness, diet, exercise & weight, I downloaded the myfitnesspal app.

Very impressed, really easy to use, especially when cooking!

More to the point, on day 1 it exposed the lie of a “balanced diet”, which I had always lived by. Fat was the biggest single component of my diet, despite going reasonably out of the way to avoid seemingly obvious fatty foods.

OK, so fat is fixed. Plateau weight starting to decrease with exercise and revised intake…

Next up. SUGAR. Where the hell does it come from? I blow through my sugar “target” every day! From what I can see, this is entirely down to muesli (20g) and milk (16g)

Are the targets too low? Or or are there easy ways to reduce. Looking at porridge as the cure at the mo

tony24
    Free Member

Generally its the milk it does have high amounts of sugar in it . Again the museli has dried fruits etc which are high i stopped eating cereal for breakfast i have egg and bacon now and then just lower fat intake through the day end with high protein dinner.

If i have porridge i now use alpro soya light milk it has 0.2 sugars per 200mm and only 44 calories and once in porridge you cannot taste it i then sweeten with a tiny bit of stevia perfect 🙂

br
    Free Member

IMO There is a difference between ‘natural sugars (ie fruit) and ‘processed’ sugars, just avoid the ‘processed’ ones.

rkk01
    Free Member

Have cut back on processed sugars, although I see that Jordan’s oat granolas have raw cane sugar as the second / third main ingredient!

stuey
    Free Member

br – imho unless it’s been chemically changed to prevent digestion/metabolising – sugar is sugar no mater how unrefined it is.
    ie a gram of honey sugar still has calories .

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Ride more.

jota180
    Free Member

Where does all the sugar come from?

Fruit [in my case]

Breakfast this morning

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Some would say fructose – fruit sugar is worse than dextrose – table sugar.

Certainly its easy to take in a lot of calories in sugar unless you are carefull – a lot of it is hidden as well. Some would say the effect eating sugar has on your metabolism make it worse than other forms of calories.

However I would not accept that bacon and eggs is a healthier breakfast than wholefood muesli. Again others will differ.;

Where did you get your sugar count and limits from? Check the NHS site for the accepted / conventional wisdom on this altho more folk are looking at sugar as the enemy than used to

nedrapier

Jordan’s stuff is some of the sweetest out there. and the most expensive! Tasty though.

tony24
    Free Member

Why would you say a breakfast of egg and bacon was bad ? Low in saturated fat high in healthy fats high protein and low gi ?

As opposed to a cereal filled with sugars and most of the healthy benefits removed ? With milk that has had most of the goodness removed with pasturisation ?

A cereal breakfast is just prepartion for insulin levels to shoot up and fall leaving you felling hungry and tired.

Klunk
    Free Member

sugar in breakfast cereals is nuts…

bran flakes have more sugar in than cornflakes (nearly 2.5 times as much)

😕

phil.w
    Free Member

jota – Are Morrisons Cornflakes really only 2g sugar per 100g?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

tony24 – Member

Why would you say a breakfast of egg and bacon was bad ? Low in saturated fat high in healthy fats high protein and low gi ?

Bacon and egg is high in fat, high in saturated fats, high in animal fats, low in fibre, high salt. Implicated in Cardiovascular disease

Wholefood muesli is a good mix of oats and grains and dried fruit and nuts – with no added sugar. Milk does not loose most of its nutrients thru pasteurisation

On diet you will get many opinions and most of them wrong.

As I say check the NHS site for conventional / consensus view on diet. look at the role of sugars but take a pinch of salt with you

hilldodger
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    Where did you get your sugar count and limits from? Check the NHS site for the accepted / conventional wisdom on this…

Don’t think the NHS site has any hard figures on daily intake (unless you have a link) just the “eatwell plate” and vague waffle about “balanced healthy diet” 😕

nearly all “convenetional wisdom” quotes 40g sugar/day as a guideline and IMO even that is far too much…..

jota180
    Free Member

jota – Are Morrisons Cornflakes really only 2g sugar per 100g?

No that should be for 50g
    they’re actually 3.7g/100g

molgrips
    Free Member

However I would not accept that bacon and eggs is a healthier breakfast than wholefood muesli.

Depends on how you define healthy. Things can be healthy in different ways and not so good in others for different reasons. Depends what oyu need.

Bacon and egg is high in fat

Really? Lean grilled bacon is high in fat? Eggs are high in fat? According to wiki only 5g fat in a large egg, and just over 1g of saturated fat. I trim almost all the fat off my bacon.

I don’t want a big row though please.

loum
    Free Member

A lot of recent studies are indicating proccessed meat significantly increases colorectal cancer risk.
    There may be insulin response benefits to this type of diet, but its probably healthier (most of the time) to replace the bacon with either fish or chicken.
    Or even better – vegetables, its unlikely that bacon (or other meat) and eggs are needed in the same meal. Tomato & onion omelette’s good.
    Although I had a lovely bacon butty this morning.

evillittlegoat
    Free Member

I’ve been knocking back a bottle of Yazoo as a post ride recovery jobbie recently. Noticed yesterday that there are 48.9g of sugar in a 475ml bottle! So tasty though.

DrP

I take the mystery out if it and simply eat sugar cubes for breakfast, dinner, and tea, and maybe have a glucose gel as a snack….

DrP

ourmaninthenorth

A lot of recent studies are indicating proccessed meat significantly increases colorectal cancer risk.

I’ve been eating too much cured meat recently (mmm parma ham), and this has been on my mind. Time to simplify the diet.

bigrich

oversimplification, but, hey ho:

simple sugars: sucrose (table sugar) is massively subsidised through the EU. It gets put in loads of foods as it is a crystalline low cost texture modifier. ‘natural’ fruit sugars (fructose) are packed into seed bearing pods (fruits) so as to get things to eat them (monkies, i.e. us) and crap the seeds out somewhere else. lactose is a simple energy source for baby moo cows. Maltose in grains is there as an energy source to drive germination. all these make you fat.

complex, long chain sugars: plants use as energy storage are ok as it takes a while to break down.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes – although ‘processed’ here means cured ie bacon, ham, salami etc. Because of the salts (sulphites I think) used in the curing process.

Solo
    Free Member

Depends what oyu need.
    Good point.

I trim almost all the fat off my bacon
    I do this too.

I have cut back on the quantity of bacon I eat, for the salt content, etc.

I agree ^^^ with replacing with chicken or fish.
    My local-to-the-office Tesco is being vamped and as a consequence appear to be getting wild salmon back onto the fish counter.
    So I’ll be having a large lump of that with a home made salad for lunch today.

Keva
    Free Member

Just this second someone at work has emptied several packets of cakes, sweets and chocolates over the desks. The vultures are devouring it by the second. This afternoon I can guarantee they will all be talking about diet, exercise, how to lose weight, and carb to protien ratios etc..

Solo
    Free Member

^^^ In our office.

Sometimes the Samosa Gods provide great quanities of Samosas.

Both meat and Veg.

Resitsance in futile.

😉

miketually
    Free Member

I used MyFitnessPal for a few days. I struggled to get close to eating the amount of sugar it had as a target or get anywhere near the calories.

The nearest I got to the calories was after a night out at a tapas place, followed by five pints of bitter. I’m not really sure how fat people get fat 😉

Gave up tracking it in the end, because it’s a faff if you actually cook food from ingredients that don’t come in packets.

cynic-al
    Free Member

go for a decent sugar free meusli, you may start to taste it.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member

Some would say fructose – fruit sugar is worse than dextrose – table sugar.

Table sugar is 50% Fructose and 50% Glucose.

Fructose is much sweeter. Its also metabolised by the liver which is why its very bad for you.

druidh
    Free Member

I always get the “no added sugar/salt” muesli. Of course there is still some fruit in it – even more if I add a banana, and them maybe some nice bio yoghurt with fruity bits too.

cynic-al
    Free Member

stevewhyte – Member
    Fructose is much sweeter. Its also metabolised by the liver which is why its very bad for you.

How so?

I’ve been advised to eat honey for its fructose to re-fuel the liver.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

stevewhyte

Ah- table sugar is sucrose not dextrose. Sucrose is fructose and glucose joined together in one molecule. ( not really 50% of each) My mistake.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Cycnic – al – this is a part of the theories around sugar metabolism that are controversial.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member

Ah- table sugar is sucrose not dextrose.

And dextrose is just another name for Glucose too.

Keep trying TJ you will get it right soon.

Edukator
    Free Member

If the sugar is added sugar then I can understand you trying to cut down but if you are worried about the fructose in the fruit you eat (or the dried fruit in your müesli) or the lactose in the cheese you eat then I suggest you should question the diet you’ve adopted rather than the proportion of cheese or fruit you’re eating.

A recent Europe 1 report on dieting habits of men and women concluded that French women prefer the calorie counting and smaller portions approach whilst men prefer fad or miracle fix diets that involve cutting out groups of foodstuffs.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Yes steve I know that – I just acknowledged I made a mistake calling table sugar dextrose

Did you really mean to say table sugar was a mix of glucose and fructose? or a molecule made by combining them 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

On sugar metabolism and sugars place in diet and weight control this site is a decent source of info I bleive. Its written by a doctor I met
    http://www.giveupsugar.com/

some links to the science here
    http://www.giveupsugar.com/sugar

I am not completely convinced but its a view that is gaining acceptance

stevewhyte
    Free Member

You are such a **** TJ, i can see why people can be ar**d with you.

Were you ignored as a child, you keep trying to show how clever you are. You know something, it doesnt work.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Steve – not see the wink smilie? Supposed to be mildly amusing. Missed nuance there old chap

donsimon
    Free Member

On diet you will get many opinions and most of them wrong.

I concur 😀

Its written by a doctor I met

I met a doctor once, he was wrong. 🙁

hilldodger
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    some links to the science here
    http://www.giveupsugar.com/sugar

Conclusion, eat more protein, more fat particularly unsaturated and less refined carbohydrate.

sounds a bit iDiet-ish to me 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘WTH – Where does all the sugar come from?’ is closed to new replies.