• This topic has 45 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • WTF is "Football/Soccer" the world's most popular sport??
  • nickc

The game is what it is. It's entertainment. The diving and rough tackling are all part of that. If rugby was as popular and not just a minority game then it would doubtless have evolved into something else.

TV isn't the best way of watching footie though

nickc

Having thought about this more. I'm curious as to why the people who don't like football feel the need to tell other people that they don't like it, or indeed, go further and slag off a game that's clearly enjoyed by thousands/millions of other folk. Why is that? Is it because you're a bloke, and you feel you should like football, but don't?

It can't just be the whole diving/ fouling thing, surely? I mean that's been a part of football since time immemorial, my grand-dad used to slate teams for playing like that, and doubtless his grand-dad did too, it's part of what makes football what it is, and fans of the game are happy to accept that as part of the game. I think it's a fundamental mis-understanding of people outside the sport. The endless discussions and banter and stripping down and analysis of a game you can get from fans/supports/pundits is part what makes it so interesting, and contentious decisions are fundamentally a part of that.

psychle
    Free Member

Is it because you're a bloke, and you feel you should like football, but don't?

I think that's a part of it… At times I genuinely do enjoy Soccer (sorry, it'll always be Soccer to me 😳 ), but I guess I just can't accept the 'cheating' and acting that goes on, I'm amazed that people do actually!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I must admit that last night's game really depressed me – yes the Dutch were putting in some tasty tackles but the Spanish were using that to their advantage and falling/rolling/waving imaginary cards/confronting the ref at every opportunity. Yes we know this happens and we know the Spanish are amongst the worst for doing this, but I just don't feel that behaviour befits such a mammoth sporting occasion.

After the match I watched the TdF highlights and I must say that I was so much more captivated by it – I never thought I would be saying that.

Haze

Hence Blackburn v Wolves that we just saw tonight.

P*ss off 😛

DezB
    Free Member

I guess I just can't accept the 'cheating' and acting that goes on, I'm amazed that people do actually!

I'm the same. I play a fair bit of football with people who are into the watching of it. They just seem to accept the cheating. They don't like it, but don't really think about how to get rid of it. The acting injured is the worst part! It's incredible how a man can roll around like a 5 year old and not be f^&8ing ashamed – especially now the replays show clearly how much contact there is.
    Still, I watch rugby and enjoy that, its obviously a more complex game so I can understand why football fans prefer football.
    Its also far easier to play football in the garden for 10 minutes than rugby!
    What am I waffling on about?

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘WTF is "Football/Soccer" the world's most popular sport??’ is closed to new replies.