Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)
  • wtf is "all mountain"?
  • alpin
    Free Member

or do just all these other tags and labels piss you off?

i’ve just destroyed a(nother) wheel…. Mavic 317 rim bent to buggery… and this is on the front.

i cocked up whilst riding down a slick-rocked river bed. slid along for a bit. wasn’t hurt, no ripped clothing. it was such a light fall i didn’t think to check the bike. jumped back on it and the front wheel only just passed through the fork.

i was attemping to ride along a wall the other night and cocked when swinging the back wheel round in the corner and was forced to bail – a 8′ drop onto sand, rocks and bushes. i went and the bike followed. the frame recieved a new scrath, but the wheels were totally unharmed.

my point is, if you are riding a mountain bike, then surely you’d expect that you can ride it into and over the mountains. why kit out an “all mountain” mountain bike with parts made of cheese.

when did we diverge from the simple term of “mountain bike”. ok, downhill bikes are obviously made for downhilling… that is not riding up the hill.

but what are enduro bikes compared to all mountain. and wtf is a “marathon fully”… a term the german speakers of this world are all too keen on.

i’m off on my bike.

ahwiles
    Free Member

the kind of kit that can handle an 8ft drop to flat would be jolly heavy.

some people need it, some don’t. i suppose somewhere in the middle is ‘all mountain’.

or whatever you want to call it.

mavic 317 rims are not famous for their strength. they’re a good compromise, but don’t come here looking for sympathy after you’ve bent one riding quite hard.

RepackRider
    Free Member

2retro4u
    Marin County, Cali

“All mountain” is another microscopic subdivision of off-road, designed to get you to add yet another superficially “different” bike to your “collection.”

In short, it’s marketing.

messiah
    Free Member

No further comment required… 8)

Kuco

It’s all marketing bullshit. After all it’s only cycling no matter what you call it 😉

coogan
    Free Member

I’m more into an aggressive xc personally…

ahwiles
    Free Member

There is nothing so much worth doing as simply cocking about on bikes.

MentalMickey
    Free Member

ahwiles – Member
    cocking about

I resemble that remark. 😉

geetee1972
    Free Member

“All mountain” is another microscopic subdivision of off-road, designed to get you to add yet another superficially “different” bike to your “collection.”

The thing is, you only have to read the posts on STW to realise that there’s quite a broad range of riding styles, levels, abilities etc in the community.

‘It’s just marketing’ to persuade you you need another bike is quite a cynical way of looking at it.

A more positive way might be that it’s a term that helps people understand what the product is meants for (actually I think that’s sort of the OP’s point).

I don’t know why marketing has such an evil connotation among people here and while I am not here to defend it as a profession, I would say that unless someone responsible for making the products you buy tells you something about what it is for, then you’re not going to buy it are you?

That’s all marketing is; it’s not an evil conspiracy so much as a way of addressing peoples’ very individual needs.

Hadge
    Free Member

It is a bit of marketing but if you rode your xc lightweight wheels down some very steep rocky stuff very hard they might not last too long. So manufacturers didn’t probably want to put “heavy duty” on their parts as you may have then thought – heavy – er not what I want. So “All Mountain” is basically a bit more beefy than xc but not quite downhill stuff. What it sort of does is point people in the right direction for stuff they “may” need 🙂

grumm
    Free Member

So “All Mountain” is basically a bit more beefy than xc but not quite downhill stuff. What it sort of does is point people in the right direction for stuff they “may” need

This, yes there is an element of marketing in it – but it’s just shorthand for a type of bike – What’s really hilarious is people getting all upset about it.

damo2576
    Free Member

That’s all marketing is; it’s not an evil conspiracy so much as a way of addressing peoples’ very individual needs.

You clearly don’t work in marketing 😉

mikey74
    Free Member

So “All Mountain” is basically a bit more beefy than xc but not quite downhill stuff. What it sort of does is point people in the right direction for stuff they “may” need
    This, yes there is an element of marketing in it – but it’s just shorthand for a type of bike – What’s really hilarious is people getting all upset about it.

I absolutely agree. There is always a lot of barking at the moon going on here at STW towers.

trailmonkey

all mountain is a style of riding that is so full of gnarr that it will render the surrounding fauna exclusively male.

i do it all the time.

Garry_Lager

Does ‘enduro’ actually mean anything wrt mountain bikes? I know it means something specific in motorcycling, but if a bicycle company are marketing an enduro bike, what are they trying to say?

Alcopop
    Free Member

its just cycling though… isn’t it ?

grumm
    Free Member

if a bicycle company are marketing an enduro bike, what are they trying to say?

It’s a bike suitable for stuff like the Megavalanche etc – not the things that people call enduros here.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

“All mountain” is just mountain biking. Simple as that.

I have 2 “all mountain” bikes. I take them up big ass mountains then rag them down. Sometimes I ride them somewhere else.

Radioman

Dh is just biking as is XC Dirt Jumping and Trials. An all mountain bike can do all of these happily and is a “jack of all trades”. Its the bike you would take for a couple of weeks in the Alps where climbing will be involved too. I dont think its just a marketing ploy. The fact it means different bikes(and different types) for different people is just down to taste riding syle fitness and skill levels…luckily we dont all want the same bike!

delusional
    Free Member

Aren’t “Enduro” and “All Mountain” pretty much interchangeable terms, just born of different cultures? As far as I can remember everything I’ve seen badged as “Enduro” would be what I would consider “All Mountain”.

I must admit, I’ve started finding All Mountain a pretty useful term. It turns out that to a lot of people Cross Country mean lycra, mellow trails and racing. So All Mountain does a good job as short hand for the sort of riding where you need to drop your saddle for the ride back down.

Sure there’s a lot of fragmentation of terms happening, but then mountain biking is becoming ever more specialized!

geetee1972
    Free Member

Enduro is what you’re doing if you’re doing All Mountain as a competition

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Use of the word cocked twice in one post – you’ll never make an all mountain rider

crotchrocket
    Free Member

delusional

Specialized

You realise of course that is the iccorect speeling of the wurd?
    Unless it was intentional: in which case was far too subtle for this board (but it made me LOL) 😉

Edric64
    Free Member

Marketing is all it is ‘bit like 29er, just a crosser with bigger tyres and flat bars after all they are both 700c and ridden off road

philconsequence
    Free Member

i kinda like the term all mountain… got a basic hardtail at the moment and im aware that it wouldn’t appreciate anything too aggressive if my skills were ever to develop to that level. I’m not interested in pushing my riding to specifically DH or jumps so to invest in a bike designed with one discipline in mind would be silly… however if my skills ever get to a level where my basic hardtail is holding me back then “all mountain” would be a relatively safe bet i’m guessing as it would imply that it’d be suitable for experimenting and pushing myself in the direction of whatever takes my fancy without needing several different bikes.

not sure if my opinion helps at all as i’m sure all you super experienced chaps are getting fed up of all these new genres and sub-genres (the same way i get fed up with the same in the music industry)… but to me all mountain is kinda useful.

then again by the time it takes me to get good enough to need an all mountain dandyhorse all mountain might be split up into “AM-FR”, “AM-DH” and “AM-XC” or something!

DrDomRob
    Free Member

CrotchRocket – it made me smile 😀

To me All mountain means a bike which is comfortable/capable of doing everything you would expect to do on a mountain bike. It just won’t be as accomplished at any one task as a bike specifically built for that sort of riding.

To me it means 150+ travel in a form which’ll climb like a mountain goat and be so good down hills that I can’t keep up!

I thought it was an impossible task, but having ridden a Nicolai Helius AM at the beginning of last month my interpretation is definitely a reality!

toys19
    Free Member

ed zachary

_tom_
    Free Member

To me, all mountain means that it can ride up to the top of whatever you want, then blast back down without any problems.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I live the SW UK, and while there are rocky bits, we’re mostly riding smooth/rough dirt with roots. I can get away with a HT most of the time and have 100% fun. But I rode down Snowdon in the summer and it’s all rocks coming at-cha fast – I was very glad of 5.5″ of suspension.

Both bikes are sub-30lb and have a big cross-over, but they have different. So I understand why these terms exist.

TheBrick
    Free Member

trailmonkey – Member
    all mountain is a style of riding that is so full of gnarr that it will render the surrounding fauna exclusively male.

i do it all the time.

All mountain us the type of riding that makes mole hills out of mountains, it’s the type of riding Chuck Norris does, it’s the type of riding you do after taking a woman on a date and not calling her back, it’s the type of riding that could cure cancer if it wanted to.

philconsequence
    Free Member

it’s the type of riding Chuck Norris does,

where do i sign up?

i’ve got some gnarly curbs that need taming.

epicyclo

Mavic 317 is just one level up from shopping bike. Good for fire roads.

beanieripper
    Free Member

it used to be called xc…

messiah
    Free Member

A bike you can ride to the top and then give some beans on the descent with – nae mincin!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeIL4bxXXGQ

chakaping
    Free Member

Haven’t you got anything more important to get angry about?

mrplow
    Free Member

XC in pyjamas

Edric64
    Free Member

Mavic 317 is just one level up from shopping bike. Good for fire roads.

Don’t think they are that bad I have 117s on one set of old wheels and they have been retired because the hubs are dead maybe people ride to clumsily to **** rims

grantway
    Free Member

I thought All Mountain was i bike that is a Jack of all trades
    up the mountain and down the other side, Taking the rough with
    the smooth, without falling apart

Da Da All Mountain 🙄

Ax3M4n
    Free Member

Here’s what I have found out – it’s a progression.

Basic Mountain Bike – Hybrid
    – Not much more than a road bike with knobbly tyres, and maybe a token front fork suspension. Ok for off-tarmac, Fire Road, Canal Path.

XC Mountain Bike
    – 100mm Travel, Light weight, Disc Brakes, Hard Tail mostly, some Full Sus. Built for off-road, low gradient, but not heavily technical terrain. Built for all round fast speed, especially up hill.

Trail Mountain Bike
    – 120-140mm Travel, heavier & stronger than XC, Hard Tail and Full Sus. Built for more technical off-road, OK for moderate drops and jumps, moderate gradients, with a slacker geometry. Still relatively light. Fast to Moderate uphill speed.

All Mountain Bike
    – 140-180mm Travel, heavier and stronger than a Trail Bike. Almost exclusively Full Sus. Built-in capability for most technical terrain excepting hardcore downhill. OK for larger drops and jumps, faster downhill capability, increased weight limits uphill speed and capability.

Down Hill Bike
    – 160-200mm travel Iron Horse. Very heavy, super strong bike built for steep gradient heavy terrain, high drops and jumps at speed. Not intended for even moderate uphill, weight severely limits uphill capability (other than gravity assisted). Ultimate downhill capability and speed.

Then apply these various sub-categories which can be subdivisions of the above:-
    Play Bike
    4X
    Dirt Bike
    Enduro
    Marathon
    29er

Of course feel free to pish on everything I’ve stated above.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

You missed out geometry in your listing there, a 180mm freeride bike and a 180mm Downhill bike would be very different shapes. So clasifying them purely on travel is a non starter?

And a 4x bike is a 4x bike, just like a track bike is a track bike, untill it’s ridden elswhere at which point the owner becomes a boring know it all knob whos only doing it because it suits his style of riding, maaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘wtf is "all mountain"?’ is closed to new replies.