Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • WTB Vigilante/Trail Boss combo. Any good? *contains 26" wheel reference.
  • rockhopper70

I need new tyres and the usual maxxis options seem daft money (for my budget).
    I can get the bog standard versions of these for around £33 for the pair from CRC and wondered if anyone had experience of them.
    26″ wheel, Calderdale riding with occasional trail centre use.
    Thanks.

wrecker
    Free Member

I use the tough high grip ones, and I think they’re great.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’ve used both of those – they’re both good at what they do, but not the cheap compound. I’d imagine the cheapo ones may be rather interesting on wet calderdale rock….

weeksy

I use both on my T130, all good 🙂

Kahurangi

I like them but I normally use the dual compound, paper thin sidewall version (they weep a bit of sealant).

I might have used the Tough Fast rear Trail Boss and I didn’t die, but that was in India so can’t compare it to Calderdale death rock.

rockhopper70

I’m còncerned that I’d not given due regard, all these years, to Calderdale “death rock”.
    No wonder my spindly maxxis advantage keeps letting me down.
    Oh, and using tubes so leaking sealant isn’t an issue.

muggomagic

If using tubes with WTB TCS tyres make sure you have a strong set of tyre levers.

buenfoxa
    Free Member

See my thread here.

After not really getting on with a Mary on the front and Hans Dampf on the back I ended up buying a vigilante front (light/high grip) and a trail boss (tought/fast). Good choice so far for the riding I do in N.Wales which is rocky, hardpack and loamy.

stevextc
    Free Member

I have this but 27.5 on a pair of wheels that came with the Whyte and the front seems skittish and less predictable on cornering compared to the Hans Dampf I have put on.

To be honest I didn’t use them much and never actually “lost it” it just felt like it was losing grip and it was about to go. I never pushed to find the exact point or how they acted after that.

poah
    Free Member

trail boss only in a narrow size in 26. I went with a semi slick for the rear for most days of the year. if you are riding au natural then you’ll want something more aggressive.

Neb

+1 the experience above. I found the trail boss to be a bit lacking, not quite enough cushion or pointy bits for the riding I do (lakes) I moved to the wtb Breakout, which is a little more aggressive.

The vigilante high grip and breakout fast rolling were a good combo although I found they like to drift a little, but in a controlled and fun way.

husa450
    Free Member

I’m another fan of this combo, tough & fast rolling compound for both. They are fairly heavy tyres but that is made up for by their puncture/cut resistance and wear rate seems pretty good too.

My misses has the non-TCS versions as OEM tyres and they seem ok but if buying separate it would be worth spending the extra.

prawny

Got 650b Vigilante/Trail Boss on my Vitus, High Grip front and I think it’s a cheap boggo rear.

I only really ride at cannock and they work great there, even the non fancy rear, it’s not as grippy as the front which works for me, and they go up and hold air tubeless despite not being TCS version (AFAIK) and I’ve rattled them through the few faster rocks they planted at cannock with no ill effects.

ajantom

I’ve been running both in Tough/Fast Rolling style for a while now.
    They’ve handled BPW in the snow and rain, Dartmoor & Quantocks winter slop, and lots of local trails with wet roots and loose gravel.
    Seem to last well, and the grip and control has been excellent.
    Not light though.

poah
    Free Member

not a good idea to put them on stans rims though

kayla1
    Free Member

I’ve got a tough/grippy Vigilante on the front and a light/fast Trail Boss on the back of my bike (26″) and they’re very good.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

I was running this combo last year in the Peaks on my 26″ Rocket.

It was “OK”. The Tough carcass Trailboss is pretty bombproof (although noticeably less supple than a Maxxis EXO) and has just about enough grip for a rear summer tyre. The Light carcass Vig was fine as a front tyre in grippy conditions, and actually a real nice tread pattern that hooked up well on soft ground.

The problem is that you can’t (couldn’t?) get the High Grip versions in 26″ – only the Fast Rolling ones. And they were death on a stick on limestone. I’ve never crashed so much on Cavedale – it was genuninely terrifying. Wet roots were also a bit of an issue. This year I’m going back to Maxxis.

I’d happily revisit the Vigilante if I could get it in High Grip format though.

mark90
    Free Member

Been running a tough high grip Vigilante in 26″ on the front of my HT over the winter, will be staying on for the summer I think. Works well in pretty much all conditions, just gets a bit clogged in mud compared to say a shorty. The tough is maybe a bit heavy and overkill for a front tyre, ideal for a rear casing though.

Kahurangi

Calderdale “death rock”.

My comment was tongue in cheek as I’ve never ridden in Calderdale.

What I tied to say was that the only Fast Rolling Trail Boss I’ve used was not in this country so conditions aren’t exactly comparable to your use.

The regular carcass is nicely supple though.

Northwind

Vigilante on the front I think only makes sense in high grip- why have all the drag of such a spiky tyre without the grip that makes it work? Inexplicably the 29er one only came in the less sticky version (though I think they’re fixing that)

Trail Boss I’m quite liking in fast on the rear, wich it had some side knobs though.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘WTB Vigilante/Trail Boss combo. Any good? *contains 26" wheel reference.’ is closed to new replies.