Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • WTB Vigilante TCS Tough High Grip
  • deanfbm
    Free Member

Are these a bit more pedalable than a true DH tyre?

What are peoples experiences of these tubeless, specifically burping?

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

yes. can be a bitch to get on and off but ping up a treat.

blahblahblah
    Free Member

Interested in hearing experiences.

Currently looking for an alternative to Magic Mary’s. Which is a shame but I just can’t stand such bad knob tear 🙁

So far my short list is just the Maxxis Shorty. I was looking at the Vigilante recently too.

woodster

It’s a big, heavy high-grip tyre. Pedalability seems on par with similar stuff, I wouldn’t put one on the back.

Masses of grip, excellent wear rates and shakes off everything. Had a couple of burps, but really due to running too low a pressure for the conditions. Perfect tyre for the Megavaanche.

deanfbm
    Free Member

woodster – what kind of pressure did you get the burps at?

bigjim

I have the older AM version, it is very good, the weight of the things is significant though. Debating a light version of the trail boss for the back but not sure if it is too thin. Tough one just too heavy.

woodster

27 or so on the Mega quali track. Just remembered it was only really one since the other was due to properly denting the rim (it held up tubeless and was fine at 35ish until I fixed the rim).

Definitely recommended. I’ve got one on the way for my 29 build, but that’s not available in the High Grip compound so I’m interested to see the differences.

lucky7500

I’d definitely recommend them. I’ve had a high grip on the front and fast rolling on the back (both TCS compound) for a couple of months and have found them to be fantastic and extremely versatile. I’m not particularly gnar, but have raced the Peebles EWS and done a Highlands coast to coast in that time without finding them overly heavy or draggy. I run around 23-25psi on Halo Vapour rims and am yet to have any problem with burps. In fact I have recently acquired another high grip to try on the back as well but haven’t been out for a proper ride yet.

Neb

I like the tough high grip on the front, I did have a trail boss tough fast rolling on the back but found it a bit small and not quite enough grip when lent over. So I went with the wtb breakout tough fast rolling, it seems a bit more aggressive but still fast rolling.

I think the carcass of the tough tyres are great, really sturdy and don’t burp easily at all.

wrecker
    Free Member

Yet to find the limit of grip with it, it’s very grippy indeed. It’s NOT fast rolling though, certainly require a fair amount more effort than a trail king. I’m running one up front with trail boss on the rear.

kjrogers

I’ve got a high grip on the front and a fast rolling on the back. I’ve run down to 14psi without any problems although they did feel a bit soft at that. Run them at 18psi front and 20 psi rear. Couple of hundred miles in Glentress area, 2 days at bike park wales and a week in the alps and the rear is pretty much gone, front not too bad but some knob tears.

I think they are good tyres but there is something about the stiffness and weight of the tyres that I just don’t like that much. I much preferred how the bike rode with Minions on.

Northwind

I’ve got a 29er one, it’s good… But I think possibly uses a harder rubber, unless their website is wrong, looks like none of the 29ers have the gravity dna? Anyway- less immediately impressive and confident than the shorty, I think it’s just a wee bit less spiky. But very solid carcass, really impressed by the puncture resistance. I suppose, it should be, it’s dualply heavy. Not fast rolling- probably in the same ballpark as the shorty and mary, “slow but not miserable”

tom.nash

Been using it for two years in all weathers in the steep and natural terrain of the Tweed Valley and pushed it hard in the EWS, Scottish Enduro Series and the Alps. Brilliant. Yes it weighs a bit but it’s indestructible. They are predicable, grippy and roll fine in my experience running them tubeless down to 25psi on Hope Tech Enduro and Superstar Carbon AM rims with no issues. Far outlast Schwalbe. The only tyre I would change it for is a Maxxis Shorty now, it has been my trustworthy and go-to tyre for a long time.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘WTB Vigilante TCS Tough High Grip’ is closed to new replies.