Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • WTB tyres
  • Shred
    Free Member

Any opinions on WTB tyres? I’m looking for a replacement for my Schwalbe Racing Ralph as a rear tyre. It is so loose on the rim, I cannot get it to seat tubeless, and I don’t trust it anymore. I run a Ron on the front.

So, I’m thinking of a Bonty XR2, or I noticed that WTB are on special at chain reaction.
    So, maybe. A trail boss rear, wolverine front?
    What are their sidewalls like?
    There isn’t much talk about them.

chakaping
    Free Member

Trail Boss tough/fast is very tough and pretty fast.

It’s not light, but it’s a fair weight for what it is.

robd

I find my Trail boss is really good in damp to dry conditions, survived antur stiniog at 28psi when friends were flatting their schwalbe nobby nics so no issues with sidewalls. Pump up tubeless really easily too!

clubby

Running trail boss rear and vigilante on the front. Both in the light/fast guise, but I ride that bike in more woody stuff than rocks. Went up tubeless no bother with a standard track pump. Nice and grippy in the woods, handle shallow wet mud well and roll nicely.

Neb

The breakout is another option, slightly bigger volume than the trail boss.

Shred
    Free Member

Well, I’m looking for tyre for XC marathon, so not too draggy, but I like some grip. What would the equivalent of the Ron/Ralph combo be in the WTB stable?

kjrogers

I ran WTB Vigilante with a tough fast rolling on the rear and a tough high grip on the front. I didn’t like the rear tyre at all, seemed not to generate enough grip and the tread wore very quickly. Wet roots it was especially bad on, front would track and the rear would be all over the place. The high grip does have fantastic grip and is quite confidence inspiring. Think it may be better than maxxis maxterra compound on roots.

However they do feel really wooden and heavy. I was running 18psi front and 20psi rear. They stayed stable tubeless even down to 14psi when I forgot to check the pressures one day but they were beginning to feel squidgy at that.
    Quite draggy as well, noticed a huge difference when I put a minion back on the back.

Good tyre but go for the high grip compound.

pigyn
    Free Member

For XC WTB don’t do anything really, good as they are at more agressive stuff.

I got sick of splitting Nobby Nics all the time and was looking for something faster. Ended up trying Onza Canis, in the 60tpi skinwall. They have been ace so far, like a more aggressive Racing Ralph, but a bit stronger in the sidewalls, and with a better tubeless fit.

jonnyrockymountain

Go with bonty tyres, all are good from XR1,2,3,4 I have all 4 team issue versions and just swap for condition

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘WTB tyres’ is closed to new replies.