Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • WTB KOM i23 for aggresive enduro/light DH?
  • tomasis
    Free Member

I saw news http://singletrackworld.com/2013/09/lighter-wider-faster-more-wtb-deliva-kom/

430gram is crazy light. Also carbon rims from Lightcycles, but I decide stick with normal aluminium rims.

Currently I have Mavic 721 and 823 but I’d like to go lighter. I usually share wheelset between dh and enduro rigs (20mm/150mm)

Would it work with Super Comp in front and CX Ray spokes in rear? It will be brass nipples. I’m figuring that stronger spokes will help held “too light” rim longer under abuse. So CX ray might be bad idea after all and Comp 2.0 would be safe buffer.

What kind of spoke tension will it require for that kind of buffer? I did read that CX ray requires 130kg as minimum.

Weight of the wheelset would be same as Mavic Enduro wheelset. Having proprietary wheel system makes me skeptic as it would be expensive to repair in long shot.

Planned wheelset:

Tesla 20mm front / 150mm rear
    DT Super Comp / Comp 2.0
    DT prolock brass nipples 12mm
    WTB KOM i23

I dont expect the rear wheel to hold longer as I dont mind replace rim every or each second year. I will have 823/Hadley/Comp as reserve rear wheel for burlier conditions.

Your thoughts?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The WTB team is still putting the finishing touches on the line, but the KOM i23 should be available shortly

I will either be great or explode leaving you face planting all over the trails 🙂 Are they running any in the EWS etc.
    Someday we each have to take a turn at being the tester

tomasis
    Free Member

I would worry if front wheel is weak.. Im not sure that this will be first that explodes before the rear one 🙂

I saw dh riders (mich hannah) riding SX Crossmax as front and it gave me idea where is possible to push the limit re front wheel. 32 spokes versus 24 spokes etc.

It would be less endangering condition if rear wheel broke and I’d save my face still 😀

EWS? I think it is too new product and Im sure some dh riders use classic i23 as front wheel. The question is how the new material is holding up. I dont think WTB is that dumb to go for softer one than normal i23.

unknown
    Free Member

aggressive enduro/light DH

What on earth does this mean? Is it the new name for riding bikes?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

generally I’d put it as UK oldschool Dh tracks (not the fort william end of stuff), proper mountains, Alpine and technical trail racing.

tomasis
    Free Member

the idea is to have enduro wheelset that I use on dh bike sometimes. My enduro rig has place for 150mm rear hub.

makes it more clear?

edit: mikesmith explained it much better 😉

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘WTB KOM i23 for aggresive enduro/light DH?’ is closed to new replies.