Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Wrist Support
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

Not sure what I need but some funky damage to the scaphoid and coming back from a crash
    http://www.xsportsprotective.com/collections/mountain-bike-wrist-protection
    Wrist is weak and looking to strengthen it but there could be some weaknss in there that I can’t deal with so any experience on any of these?

tiredjohn

Just coming off the back of a broken wrist and ordered both the tld one and the 661 one from crc to see which was best. The tld one is definitely a classier better made peice of kit but for me it is actually too restrictive for bike riding so I’m going to use the 661 one which still gives support but allows a little more movement. Not sure how long it’s going to last though as it does feel a bit cheap

mattbee

Had a 661 one for a few months to help with carpal tunnel syndrome.
    It’s not the most rigid but that does mean it’s flexy enough to ride in whilst still giving support and its lasted well.
    Cost less than a tenner from crc.

seavers
    Free Member

I have a pair of 661 wrist supports, used but in good condition. Yours for free if you want them. Will post for free too. Reply here if you want me to send them to you.

zedz
    Free Member

I’ll vouch for 661 supports, used one for a few months after I knocked the end off my ulna, (oooer!), still occasionally pop it on to keep the ache away when it’s cold and damp, less so now two years later. I found I didn’t want too much support as you obviously need to bend and flex and allow your wrist to strengthen through use.

Can’t really beat Seavers offer either : ) Well done Sir.

tang
    Free Member

I used Troy Lee Designs ones with removable splints to tailor stiffness. From a motor cross supplier iirc.

Superficial
    Free Member

The 661s seem to fit OK, but they were very stiff across the metacarpals and didn’t allow enough wrist extension IMO. It made me scared that an OTB and being unable to flex the wrist would result in 4 broken fingers. For that reason I stopped using them and just took the risk with my scapholunate ligament injury. I suspect they would protect the scaphoid pretty well. Apart from that they feel well-made and are comfortable to ride in (for me). It’s a bit difficult to wear them with gloves. But it depends on your injury and what you want to do. None of these things are really tested for any particular injury state, AFAIK.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Cheers Seavers but in Oz so posting is a bit too much to ask. Got the LBS on the case to see what we can get hold of and how they size up.

andyl
    Free Member

I bought a range to try out. Ended up with the 661 ones, which was a surprise, as all the others just got in the way of gripping the bar properly.

Nothing is really going to protect you in a nasty crash like knee and elbow pads do but they do help support in general riding. Just remember to wear your elbow pads and fall on your arm/elbow and roll judo style rather than putting your hand out.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Just remember to wear your elbow pads and fall on your arm/elbow and roll judo style rather than putting your hand out.

Don’t worry I have a lot of experience in hitting the floor, this one was a sideways fall and banged my hand on the floor. Injuries also include a previously diagnosed scaphoid – physio today pointed out it was a bit buggered.

Mostly looking for some support so I can get riding outside a bit quicker.

TiRed

And for an alternative view, A colleague suggested a snowboarding wristguard for my multiple fractured and plated distal radius. Bought a recumbent trike as a stopgap 😉

Seriously though, I ordered Demon Flexmeter double sided guards and hit the chaingang last weekend. Obviously I’m wearing only one (Right) and riding road, but these are clinically tested to prevent fractures and felt very comfortable on the bike. The support is very good and they will be even more comfortable on a mtb compared with drops and hoods. Recommended.

Nothing is really going to protect you in a nasty crash like knee and elbow pads do

Sorry I have to disagree based on the trial I read (six-fold reduction in fractures), but I’m hoping not to test them in the next six months!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Wrist Support’ is closed to new replies.