Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • wrist guards and stuff
  • dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

does anyone know anything about preventing fractures in the wrist joints? i recently saw a mate break a wrist, its been ten weeks on the mend after plating and he still cant give me a high five.

i fall regularly so im in the market for something that will prevent fractures. i see a lot of braces and supports but im unsure if these products are out to prevent breaks or just support previously injured wrists?

these are top of the maybe pile

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=53440

ta

jedi

you can buy gloves with wrist protection in canada. not seen them here

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Learn to fall properly.

You can still break your wrist in those guards, and if you hit the ground hard enough it’ll be the next bone up that goes.

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

learn how to fall.. hmmm doesnt always work like that does it?

and the bone up is a less complicated and more desirable break im told.

toys19
    Free Member

What a load of rubbish.

Learn to fall properly.

You can still break your wrist in those guards, and if you hit the ground hard enough it’ll be the next bone up that goes.

Although this might be true

and the bone up is a less complicated and more desirable break im told.

I use these they are very good. clicky

elaineanne
    Free Member

at £5.98 in the sale i guess they are worth a try for you 😉

IanMunro
    Free Member

Anyone know how/if these guards are tested to ascertain if they are actually effective?

nickjb
    Free Member

I used the 661 wrist wraps after a break. They are pretty cumbersome. I wouldn’t want to ride with them all the time. I’ve got some Fox Racing gloves with an extra wrap like the first link and they feel pretty solid. They are now worn out and I can’t find another pair, though. I doubt anything will stop a break if you fall hard and landing properly is always a better option but I’m going to carry on wearing my Fox ones.

toys19
    Free Member

I’ve tested mine by smacking the ball of my hand against the wall with and without, it hurts much more without.

elaineanne
    Free Member

obviously hurts much more without ! 😉
    are the gloves restricted,?

toys19
    Free Member

I wear mine outside my gloves, they are fine, my only problem is that I am so stumpy the wrist guard interacts with my elbow/forearm guards, but as long as I make sure everything is put on properly and am happy to readjust every so often, then they are great. Have had a few spills and they seem to have done they job, well I haven’t broken my wrist anyway.

I bought mine as I had a fall and had a suspected schaphoid fracture, after three weeks in plaster they decided it wasn’t broken. I wore the left guard as support on and off the bike which was handy, but now I hardly ever ride without them.

McHamish
    Free Member

I wear wrist guards snowboarding (as does everyone else who knows you should).

I have Dakine ones, they have rigid section that goes around the underside of your wrist and into your palm. This can be a little restrictive as your wrist is kept slightly bent but you get used to it.

They’ve recently released a new version where the rigid section doesn’t extend into your palm, i can’t comment how good they are but friend has just bought a set so will know when we go away in December.

FYI, I broke my wrist while wearing wrist guards a couple of years ago, completely snapped my radius at the point where the wrist guard ends. The nurse in the Alpine health centre told me that you’ll break your arm anyway if you land hard enough, wearing a wrist guard will force the break further up the wrist which will be cleaner and easier to heal. Without a wrist guard, the break will happen in the weakest spot, which is right in the wrist joint. This will often result in serious and long term issues in the wrist.

This theory is corroborated by the experiences of a friend of mine, he forgot to wear his wrist guards one day and broke his wrist in the joint. Pretty much shattered the end of his radius and ulna bones, resulting in having to wear a wrist brace for years. He still can’t bend his wrist properly. He’s a chippy and ever since he broke his wrist he hammers with his whole arm rather than bending at the wrist.

As my break was clean it healed well, there was a chance that i would need metal pins etc, but it wasn’t necessary. My wrist is as good as new now

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

cheers for the replies people… so i guess the general theme is something is better than nothing full stop.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Last time i looked at the evidence for wrist guards in snowboarding it seemed that they have a place for beginners and young shredders. The rate of wrist injuries in experienced, or dare i say it slightly sedate, snowboarders isn’t high enough to warrant the hassle. I stopped using mine as they made it awkward taking gloves off. I haven’t seen any evidence about bikes and wrist guards.

They would be much more restrictive on the bike. Still, cheap enough to try.

lister

latest Dirt (not the 100 special though) has a short review of some gloves wih built in wrist guards, if I wasn’t drinking Talisker and watching the telly I’d pop upstairs and find out what they are called…mabe later 😉

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

yeh thats the evs ones i posted at the top 🙂

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘wrist guards and stuff’ is closed to new replies.