Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)
  • "WOW" things that didn't make you go "WOW"
  • alpin
    Free Member

for me it was Uluru, or Ayres Rock. just didn’t get that “wow” feeling when i saw it.

perhaps it aws the 2 hour drive from the main highway. or the fact that you drive past other big rocks and you go “is that it”. or it was the fact that i had seen pictures of it every single day since i arrived in Oz.

Pook

I must admit, I thought Kata Tjuta was more impressive – I think the billions of other people buzzing round took some of the magic from it for me though. Having said that, we did the base walk and it was great.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Mini Jaffa Cakes

A most disappointing experience

allthepies
    Free Member

Grand Canyon’s pretty darn impressive.

And I remember climbing a huuuuge (250m+) sand dune in Namibia to see what looked like a mountain range of sand on the other side, that was pretty cool.

PMK2060

Chocolate hob knobs. I lIke digestives but like chocolate digestives even more. Thought it would be the same with chocolate hob nobs but sadly not.

athgray
    Free Member

alpin & pook + 1.

I much preferred Kata Tjuta as well. Kings Canyon was also good.

On the other hand I was really impressed by Sydney Harbour Bridge. Far larger than I thought.

godzilla
    Free Member

The Pussycat bar on Patpong road.

somafunk

Taj Mahal didn’t really do it for me, but the Manikarnika Ghats on the banks of the Ganges at Varanasi where they cremate their dead made me go WOW!, Likewise in Himachal Pradesh, through Buntar and up the Parvati valley an entire hillside blanketed by Cannabis plants made me go WOW!, and led me to spending a happy week living wi the locals in a shack whilst hand rubbing my own charas till i had a solid lump the size of a golfball – WOW!. 😀

footflaps

Time Square, seemed really small to me…..

godzilla
    Free Member

^ Taj was the biggest let down ever, i was more impressed by the shanti town next to the Mumbai airport.

ebygomm
    Free Member

We were all canyoned out by the time we reached the grand canyon so it didn’t quite have the wow factor (plus we arrived at night and overnight temps were -10 at the campsite which meant we were a bit grumpy in the morning.)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Vegas. A dump.

somafunk

godzilla – that shanti town seemed to stretch right into the middle of mumbai, a very strange airport & place to fly into for your first ever time in india, and i thought the stench when you left the airport would stay with me forever, funnily enough i wasn’t aware of it when i flew out 6 months later.

andrewrchambers
    Free Member

Arm and Hammer toothpaste

patriotpro
    Free Member

Miami &
    The fairy tail castle at The Magic Kingdom, Florida; I expected an amazing labyrinth and Rapunzel throwing her hair extensions down and all I got was a shop and no way to go beyond that. V.poor.

Ps Alpin there’s 11 of us for the segways… 8)

alpin
    Free Member

ah… ok. will ask.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Sydney Bridge, just like the quayside in Newcastle..

chewkw
    Free Member

errmmm … long time ago(no internet then) I was told Salford was like New York of UK until I visited that place … it was (is) a dump.

I think my mates must be referring to its neighbour Madchester … errmm … or they were winding me up big time.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Fuel EX and Stumpy

New York, Miami

Finals – complete anticlimax

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Thing, rather than a place: The Great North Run.

Thoroughly rubbish waste of an entry fee.

Wookster

Santa Cruz Heckler!

Big Ben it’s very small!!

Turkey (the festive foodstuff)…..it’s just crap isn’t it really!!!

The Sphynx #meh!

But the Pyramids were just awesome!!! Couldn’t believe how huge they were!

chewkw
    Free Member

ir_bandito – Member

Thing, rather than a place: The Great North Run.

Yes! Agree. That is one most over hyped pile of cat poo. Try listen to the over hyped local commentator … I mean ffs … talking about trying to hype up his job and profile.

headpotdog
    Free Member

Pyramids – meh
    Venice – meh
    London (any of it) – meh
    Los Angeles – glamorous my ar*e!
    Daily Mail articles – don’t believe a word of ’em
    Jordan’s t*ts….

2bit

Ayers Rock & Vegas were my 2 biggest dissapointments on a recent wow trip.

The rock is just that & Vegas was a larger, brasher version of Wind St in Swansea with gaudier bars, over the top architecture & people on the street handing out flyers for t!tty shows & ladies of ill repute.

twohats
    Free Member

Having kids.
    Getting married.
    Google Nexus 7.
    Squeezy Marmite.
    SRAM drivetrains.

samuri
    Free Member

Venice is awful. Smells terrible in summer, cramped, tatty.

Paris. It’s noisy, smelly, full, massive and simply the most unromantic place I could think of. The outskirts are much nicer than the centre.

I don’t much like cities to be honest so London, Rome (which is OK) and New York (which is quite interesting) don’t feature high on my list. I’m glad I’ve been to all these places though.

Nice city? Florence (when there’s no dustbin men strike on), absolutely stunning.

Although Hong Kong was very, very interesting. I quite liked it there.

rickmeister

Statue Of Liberty… its not that big
    Times Square, small and surprisingly, not square
    Disney World Florida, too many fat people on disability scooters who are too lazy to walk.

Just reviewed the above… there may be a theme….

Candodavid
    Free Member

Ti456

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

An inbred.

grum
    Free Member

New York.

stewartc
    Free Member

Times Square – A road junction
    Argentine Military Musuem, Buenes Aires – Two wars, is that it
    Dubai – Vegas without the gambling

samuri
    Free Member

Oh, Stringfellows. Expensive and not particularly entertaining although a lady did appear to be strangely interested in me. Now while I’m obviously like, well sexy, I still find it a point of note when a lady who is apparently excessively keen on me, suggests we go back to my place right now. Alarm bells and that.

mechmonkey
    Free Member

Sailing cross Atlantic – the sailing is incredibly boring although the nightsky was unreal.

labsey
    Free Member

Caramel Digestives.

mudshark
    Free Member

I say wow to those that say NYC didn’t make them go wow.

Keeping to the US theme; LA had its moments (e.g. the beaches and Beverly Hills) but I seem to have missed whatever people like about Boston.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Picasso’s Guernica, didn’t make go wow. It made me go WOW WOW WOW.

Ambrose

Central Iceland just blew my socks off. WOOOOOOOOOWWWWWYYYYYYY!!!!!

WillH

The Mona Lisa. It’s chuffin’ tiny! It’s a dark, gloomy picture kept in a dark, gloomy room, and if you want to see it up close you have to slowly elbow your way through a crowd of sweaty tourists (yeah, yeah, I know, I am the problem). Rubbish.

HermanShake
    Free Member

Old Boy. Weak.

bikebouy
    Free Member

The bill at The Plateau Restaurant in That Lundun..

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘"WOW" things that didn't make you go "WOW"’ is closed to new replies.