Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Wow, that's a big telly
  • mikeconnor
    Free Member

That would be very nice for affluent middle class people to watch Scandinavian dramas and Grand Designs on.

Just the perfect size for their large converted barns in rural Hampshire.

IHN

Absolutely, that’s who I was thinking of.

mikeconnor
    Free Member

Would go very nicely with the 4×4, organic houmous and Aga. Plus, you could set one up in the stables, for the ponies to watch Black Beauty on.

IHN

Careful now, you don’t want to be seen stereotyping people just because they live in nice houses.

logical
    Free Member

What exactly do you have against council housing? As that seems to be where you’re aiming this post again.

docrobster
    Free Member

Biggest TVs I’ve ever seen have generally been in the front rooms of council houses when on home visits.
    Can think of one chap really ill with terrible lungs, rheumatoid arthritis, died a few weeks ago; he couldn’t get out of his chair for the last few months and spent many an hour watching the 60 inch TV in his tiny front room. only pleasure he had left I guess.

mikeconnor
    Free Member

No you’re absolutely right, IHN. I’m sure some affluent middle class people don’t live in large barn conversions in Hampshire. I’m sure they still eat organic houmous though, as all the ones I know do!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

As I read somewhere recently, and to paraphrase;

Your bookcases should always be bigger than your TV. If not, something’s gone wrong.

philconsequence
    Free Member

Biggest TVs I’ve ever seen have generally been in the front rooms of council houses when on home visits.

+1

mikeconnor
    Free Member

What’s a ‘bookcase’?

The largest televison I’ve ever seen was in a showroom in John Lewis’. I passed it on the way to look at some Egyptian cotton bed linen.

konabunny
    Free Member

spent many an hour watching the 60 inch TV in his tiny front room. only pleasure he had left I guess.

Would probably heat it too.

IHN

What exactly do you have against council housing?

Absolutely nothing. I do however see the slight irony in one type of stereotype made for (weak) comedic effect being allowable whilst another gets a thread deleted.

mikeconnor
    Free Member

I think the point is that your original post was seen as somehow derogatory towards people you appear to feel superior to. That’s how it seemed to come across, anyway. A kind of snobbish sneering at the underclass’es.

However, it does seem to be a fact that many people from, shall we say, more ‘working class’ backgrounds appear to prioritise a telvesion over other household objects, for example Smeg fridges, wine-racks aor bookcases. Different groups make different choices. This is very genralistic though.

It’s very easy to look down on others, but much harder to look at yourself.

ThePinkster

mikeconnor – Member
    No you’re absolutely right, IHN. I’m sure some affluent middle class people don’t live in large barn conversions in Hampshire. I’m sure they still eat organic houmous though, as all the ones I know do!

I like to think I’m affluent middle class and can’t stand homous, organic or not.

Don’t live anywhere near Hampshire either, or drive a 4×4/Audi/BMW.

ThePinkster

Oh yes, forgot to add, I certainly wouldn’t have a TV that size anywhere near my house either.

Would get in the way of my lovely birch bookcases. 😉

headfirst
    Free Member

4K TV? Is that like 4G but 4 letters better?
    Or is it the result of a menage-a-trois between 3D, HD and 4G?

Whatever it is, I’m sure its essential we all have it as soon as possible!

headfirst
    Free Member

I like to think I’m affluent middle class

If you’d like to think it, chances are you probably aren’t… 😉

nbt

If it gets me banned it gets me banned, but when I drive / cycle / walk along the local streets, the council houses all seem to have sky telly and massive TV screens, and occupants who can smoke. I know it’s not everyone (and half my family are from “council house stock” and still live there, for the record), but there’s a high percentage.

Stereotypes don’t suddenly appear out of nowhere, y’know. There’s *always* a grain of truth somewhere.

IHN

I think the point is that your original post was seen as somehow derogatory towards people you appear to feel superior to. That’s how it seemed to come across, anyway. A kind of snobbish sneering at the underclass’es.

It’s very easy to look down on others, but much harder to look at yourself.

And there was me thinking I was simply making a cheap gag using the common stereotype of council houses having massive tellies, much like, if, say, the piece was about a new Range Rover I may have made a cheap gag using the common stereotype of posh people hunting and wearing green wellies.

I suspect if I’d done the latter then my original thread wouldn’t have been pulled.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

If you’d like to think it, chances are you probably aren’t…

He is though. Very middle of the road in almost everything.

Except choices of lycra, that is.

😈

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

So the first thread gets pulled. Is there really any point in trying again?

So there was an excuse in the first with the hidden link to E Festival joke list, but this seems more of a basic attempt to annoy the mods/troll? Can it end well? Is there a point?

philconsequence
    Free Member

Stereotypes don’t suddenly appear out of nowhere, y’know. There’s *always* a grain of truth somewhere.

i dunno, some are created and still survive to this day:

avdave2

However, LG’s 25 million-won ($22,010; £13,940) price tag is likely to dissuade many from investing in its technology at present.

We were paying £14,000 a few years ago for 65″ NEC plasmas.

IHN

So there was an excuse in the first with the hidden link to E Festival joke list

Well, yeah, that was why I posted it; one of those STW ‘in’ joke things that we love so much

Can it end well?

I doubt it.

Is there a point?

To what, someone on the internet being so offended enough by something trivial I said on the internet to report it? Or me finding it quite amusing that someone on the internet was so offended by something trivial I said on the internet to report it? Not really, no.

mikeconnor
    Free Member

If it gets me banned it gets me banned, but when I drive / cycle / walk along the local streets, the council houses all seem to have sky telly and massive TV screens, and occupants who can smoke. I know it’s not everyone (and half my family are from “council house stock” and still live there, for the record), but there’s a high percentage.

Whenever I stroll down Church St in Stoke Newington, or Upper St in Islington, perhaps going for a coffee or a mung-bean soufflé, i see lots of affluent middle class types with iPads.

However, whenever a new iPad is launched, I don’t feel compelled to sneer at the middle classes for the choices they might make.

For the record, i’m not-particularly-affluent middle class. my girlfirend however is unashamedly affluent middle class, and has a medium sized old CRT television. Which she hardly watches, as she’s usually too busy eating organic houmous. Seh does have a Phillipe Stark juicer though.

IHN

However, whenever a new iPad is launched, I don’t feel compelled to sneer at the middle classes for the choices they might make.

Oh, you should, it’s fun.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I’m not offended as I got the original joke. Just surprised that you had a second crack when others thought it inappropriate. Maybe this will run a little longer, with the intended humour intact?

Rocket salad next – that can be arranged to suit, I’m sure 😉

IHN

Just surprised that you had a second crack when others thought it inappropriate

What can I say; I’m a maverick. I live by my own rules and I pay no attention to the man, man.

loum
    Free Member

Your bookcases should always be bigger than your TV. If not, something’s gone wrong.

Kindle.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Kindle.

Ooh, get you with your poncy high-falutin’ ways.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

I’m growing an organic bookcase,if i get a big telly, i’ll make sure it fits in there

mikeconnor
    Free Member

Are you growing it from couscous and Tofu?

IHN

I already have a bookcase, it’s full of knockoff DVDs.

I’m going to make a unit for the telly out of pizza boxes and empty Stella cans. I’ve already got a coffee table made out of White Lightening bottles and the door of an old fridge that I’d had lying in the garden for years.

mikeconnor
    Free Member

Recycling IHN? how terribly middle class of you!

ericemel
    Free Member

How do you measure a kindle library when comparing to a TV?

IHN

how terribly middle class of you!

Are you calling me a puff?

rudebwoy
    Free Member

japanese knotweed, grows like hell, hard to control though, will probably take over the house by next year, got a slate ‘fridge’ that works well, does do ice though…..

ampthill

4k = 4000

picture width in pixels

wrecker
    Free Member

my girlfirend however is unashamedly affluent middle class, and has a medium sized old CRT television.

I call BS. No way on earth does mikeconnor have a girlfriend.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Wow, that's a big telly’ is closed to new replies.