Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Wow, that was loud!
  • convert

Just been putting a pair of Aspen tyres on some stans rims. They are often a bit of a fiddle but got them seated (so I thought) in the end. After a few minutes of holding pressure I deflated, popped a good cup and a half of stans fluid through the valve and reinflated. I thought I’d put quite a bit of pressure in just to force the fluid through all the little leaks – so 4 bar and nice and tight! I turned my back to fiddle with the frame and…BOOM!

Proper echo around the valley explosion. I turned around to a scene of devastation – a sad looking tyre and jizz everywhere – it looked like I’d just given oral relief to a sperm whale! No wheel to be seen though – I eventually found it on the shed roof! Bloody glad I hadn’t got it into the frame and given it a quick once around the block when it went!

3 neighbours came rushing around thinking we had had a gas explosion (which is weird as we don’t have gas out in the sticks!) and were slightly bemused by the sight of dressing gown clad freak (just back from ride and could not be arsed to get dressed after shower) covered in harry monk clambering on his shed roof!

scaredypants

I eventually found it on the shed roof!

😆

(I’ve been barred from google; what’s 4 bar in real money ?)

thegreatape
    Free Member

You are badger and I claim my £5.

RealMan
    Free Member

4 bar? Either your pump was lying or you looked at it wrong. Can’t see tyres exploding at 60psi.

convert

4bar = 60psi ish

Tyre did’nt explode – just came off rim in a big way.

bruneep

4 bar is about 58 psi (without the aid of google) I’m sure I’ll be corrected if wrong 🙂

7hz
    Free Member

There is a new invention that saves messing about with cups of white fluid.

Instead of the jizz, it has a “skin” of pre-solidified elasticated material that is self contained in a “tube”, if you will, that holds all the air in. Maybe you want to check it out?

RealMan
    Free Member

I’ve ridden up and down stairs and off small drops to flat with my tyres at 60psi, stans rims. Crap tyres?

convert

druidh – real men don’t read instructions!

Aspens are not renown for their tubless prowess but work nicely once tamed!

highclimber
    Free Member

effing LOL!

brooess
    Free Member

The mental image is hilarious 🙂

rs
    Free Member

😆 like!

mboy
    Free Member

No wheel to be seen though – I eventually found it on the shed roof!

This had me actually properly LOL, not just metaphorically LOL

covered in harry monk

Well waste not want not I suppose. Putting it inside your tyres is quite novel, I generally find Stans Sealant works better myself…

You are badger and I claim my £5.

Sorry Badger (he was actually a very nice chap, met him a couple of times) but this was the funniest recurring story on old STW by a country mile, every take on this photo was hilarious!

FWIW, back in 2005 in Morzine me and some mates got bored one evening, after I’d had to rebuild a wheel for a mate cos he was fat and bent his rim. So we took the old rim, straightend it as best as possible, fitted an old tioga DH tyre to it with an inner tube in, and pumped away… Once we’d reached 60psi we began getting a bit scared, so all donned our body armour and goggles (still inside at this point). At 80psi, I think we thought a bit better of it all, and took it outside. At 100psi, we were literally shitting ourselves at the timebomb in hand, so decided to do something to help it on its way…

So, anybody who’s been to Morzine will know the bridge across the valley, with the carpark underneath… Well… Yup, we dropped it from the bridge! When it hit the floor the bang was as loud as someone blowing up a small building nearby! Needless to say, 100psi and a 100ft drop pretty much destroyed the remainder of the rim (I think it bust into about 8 or 10 separate pieces), and the tyre just shredded! Fun mind…

Gary_C

😯 at the mental image….then….

😆 😆

highclimber
    Free Member

100psi 😯

RobHilton
    Free Member

Christ that was funny!

Isn’t that what the kids say these days?

jonnyvegas
    Free Member

LOL..
    Here my BOMB..

the mess cough cough…
    Ended up putting well i thought 50spi to seat the tyres then

KAAABOOOOM !
    I couldnt hear for 10mins as i was leant down holding on to tyre with my left had And when it blew it nearly dislocated my thumb.
    Everybody in a 1mile area SHAT as it echoed 2-5 times well scary !

The tyre He He !
    Found out few days later when i returned to the tyre murder the air line was faulty as prob put 90 psi before it blew …..

mikewsmith
    Free Member

it looked like I’d just given oral relief to a sperm whale!

best quote for a while

singlespeedstu

It’s best when it blows off the rim while you’re holding it. 😆

Lost all the feeling in my fingers for a couple of hours after that one. 🙄

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Real laugh out loud thread!! Thanks to th OP and everyone else. Brilliant! 😀

uplink
    Free Member

I blew a High-Roller off a Stan’s 355 in similar circumstances
    That was around 60psi too
    Mine was in a confined area [shed] whilst I was holding it – there’s still the staining on the roof

Wrecked the tyre and knocked the wheel way out of true

TomHill
    Free Member

Made me laugh out loud this morning. Brilliant description. Cheers!

MrSparkle

+1! 😀

ltheisinger
    Free Member

A great way to start a Friday morning….laughing is good!. Thanks. 😆

scaredypants

A long time ago a mate & I made a couple of, err, thingies using big coke bottles and dry ice. middle of our garden one night.

not sure what pressure a coke bottle lets go at (they creak & groan a lot before they do), but the “pop” set off 2 car alarms at quite a distance and left a big scar in the lawn 😯

spooky_b329

Haven’t you lot learned yet :d

As soon as you approach 40PSI with a new tyre, I put the wheel round the corner of the house, place the trackpump as far away as possible and then proceed gingerly 🙂

I’ve not popped one of the rim yet, but as a kid I bolted a 12″ wheel off a childs bike into my Raleigh Grifter. As I pedalled about on my clown bike I looked down and was amused to see a marble sized bit of inner tube sticking out of the sidewall and squeaking as it rubbed the chainstay. 10 seconds later there was a huge crack and then several echoing booms back and forth, followed by me hiding behind a car as our neighbour came rushing out of his house. (we lived behind the police station in an ex-police house, he was a copper and thought someone had fired a shotgun in the police station 😯 )

I’d pumped it up with a footpump with a broken gauge, must have been a lot of pressure but it was a huge bang for such as small tyre.

naffrider
    Free Member

Similar to you I had my tyre explode of the rim in a confined garage, my dad also thought a gas canister had gone only to see me coated in latex and him shouting at me, luckily I couldn’t hear him 🙂

Tyre also blew off the rim on the first lap of SSMM.

This was all in 2006. I’ve used tubes since 🙂

BigJohn

Always outside for me since one let go in the garage.

How can the tyre end up SO FAR away from the wheel? That’s what I don’t get.

I like the “round the corner” idea. I won’t even switch on a light after I’ve changed the bulb without turning my back.

Perfect description by OP btw. 😀

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Brilliant! And some badger action as well! 🙂

wwaswas

I won’t even switch on a light after I’ve changed the bulb without turning my back.

Do you close your eyes too?

“Damn, it’s still not working!”

epicyclo

jonnyvegas – Member
    LOL..
    Here my BOMB..

Did you get the tyre replaced under warranty? “Just riding along, etc…” 🙂

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Aspens whilst great tyres are utterly cack tubeless, the side walls are way too thin.

Although that has nothing to do with your rather daft mistake.

Houns

😆 Wish you’d have got pix

I have a habit of pumping up my tyres with the wheel between my legs, i don’t think i’ll be doing this again

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

thought i was gonna do something similar yesterday, dont very often use compressors/air lines for seating tubeless tyres (usually a track pump is plenty on proper ust tyres)….i was in a bit of a rush, took it into work and was talking to someone (not concentrating) whilst i was using the airline to stick some air in……this on a brand new maxxis crossmark, i suddenly realised it had seated (although didnt ping and pop) and felt the tyre and it was incredibly massively hard…..i think if i had left it any longer the tyre would have exploded and id have wasted £40 …just got it in time and immediately let air out, it took ages to get the excess air out to about 30psi so god knows how much id put in 😆

rode it last night pretty hard, and it was fine…..lucky escape..

although i dont get why you need to put sealant in beforehand? why not just remove the core and pour it in after its seated, then deflate, add sealant, pump back up to desired pressure?

BigJohn

Do you close your eyes too?

“Damn, it’s still not working!”

That might be why I send so much on light bulbs. 😆

Dougal
    Free Member

Aspens are not renown for their tubless prowess but work nicely once tamed!

One of the best eXCeption tyres when it comes to getting them on, no bother at all for me. Seems to a be a new-generation Maxxis thing, as all the tyres from last year and this go on dead easy (xmarks, aspen, monorail, rendez, ignitor).

Aspens whilst great tyres are utterly cack tubeless, the side walls are way too thin.

Never had this problem, despite most of my riding being races with plenty of pointy rocks. The eXCeption sidewalls are thin, and you will see the threads after a single muddy race, but nothing to worry about.

winterfold
    Free Member

Great thread – oral relief to a sperm whale 😆

molgrips
    Free Member

Hehe.. very funny thread 🙂 Only one I have is when a mate was pumping tyres up in his garage with a foot pump, we were all chatting away and hadn’t noticed that the tyre wasn’t seated and the tube was bulging out resulting in a fairly modest (by the above standards) blammo. We could still hear mostly, but it was a hell of a shock since we were not expecting it.

I thought I’d put quite a bit of pressure in just to force the fluid through all the little leaks

Doesn’t need it. What it needs is a fair while spent being sloshed around. Slosh it around for a few mins, then ride it about, but you need to take it on an actual ride shortly afterwards otherwise it’ll deflate overnight.

bennyboy1
    Free Member

The bang you get from these tyres blowing off the rim is quite incredible!

I had an S-Works Sauserwind 2Bliss tyre blow off at approx 60psi – I was in my basement at the time! It was honestly the closest I can imagine to a Call of Duty style stun grenade going off in a room! My eyes were completely shaken for a good 15secs, I had no hearing bar a very, very high pitch whine for about 2mins and the shockwave raised every available particle of dust in the basement so it was pretty ‘cloudy’. My poor wife was sat in the living room approx 7ft directly above the scene of the explosion so she thought the acopolypse had arrived aswell!

Laughing aside i’m very releived my hearing wasn’t damaged and no debris hit me in the eyes as the tyre was shredded. I haven’t inflated a mtb tyre above 40psi since… :-O

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Wow, that was loud!’ is closed to new replies.