• This topic has 58 replies, 41 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Muke.
Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Wow Drink driving campaign as it should be
  • NZCol

You are far more likely to die if you walk home drunk than if you drive. So, if you're just worried for your own safety, probably best to chance the drive.

But the consequences of you bumping into someone while drunkwalking is always going to be less than drunk driving. Fact. Simples. End of thread.

(is that not what you say these days ?) 😆

Actually I dunno why I am quoting that – dunno what i am saying. Don;t drink and drive perhaps.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The current value is set at a point where your judgement has been proved to be unimpaired.

Actually your judgement is significantly impaired well below the limit for many people. Experimentally shown.

I would go for a much lower but no zero limit – so you couldn't have drink at all and then drive that evening – but a couple of pints the night before and you would be OK – but steaming drunk the night before yo would not be Ok to drive in the morning.

the other thing I would do is change the law to allow random breath tests. At teh moment the cops need cause to stop and test someone – I would like to see roadblocks and test everyone on the roads.

The real isue is not people a bit over thru a lack of thought – its people who see no wrong with drink driving – we need to catch more of them

I would also increase penalties significantly Jail for a second time and so on.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

NZCol, no way am I advocating drink driving dude…see my last post on the first page before yours on this one for the story behind the statistic.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

At the same time, show me someone who drinks alcohol, owns a car which he or she can legally drive and I'll show you someone that's probably driven over the limit at some stage in his or her life.

retro83
    Free Member

Regrettably, the UK is very soft on its approach to so many things like this.

Really? I found the advert where the chap keeps seeing the dead child more harrowing.

the other thing I would do is change the law to allow random breath tests. At teh moment the cops need cause to stop and test someone – I would like to see roadblocks and test everyone on the roads.

So inconvenience all road users for a tiny minority who are stupid?

vinnyeh

Works in other countries. Only inconveniences a few- those who have to stop and be tested. For most, it just means slowing down briefly to pass the checkpoint. Get a grip.

I had noticed the lack of road blocks/ checkpoints, but didn't realise random testing wasn't done here.

mogrim

The police here (in Spain) do random stops, they set up road blocks at strategic roundabouts – it's a minor inconvenience that mainly happens at weekends, certainly not something that happens every day.

But…

Except of course it wouldn't stop there, the random stops would also be used to check road tax, insurance documents, for it to be workable you'd probably need the drivers to carry their licences with them at all times – and at that point you may as well make them carry an ID card, too…

GrahamS

I thought we did do random breathalyser checks? Isn't there usually an ad-backed police campaign around Xmas time each year?

Except of course it wouldn't stop there, the random stops would also be used to check road tax, insurance documents

so? That can all be done from your number plate with the ANPR computer. It's not like you'd need a filing cabinet of paperwork in your glovebox.

mogrim

so? That can all be done from your number plate with the ANPR computer. It's not like you'd need a filing cabinet of paperwork in your glovebox

Fair point, although given the current government's track record I still think the risk of mission creep is quite high.

retro83
    Free Member

vinnyeh – Member
    Works in other countries. Only inconveniences a few- those who have to stop and be tested. For most, it just means slowing down briefly to pass the checkpoint. Get a grip.

No, you get a grip (and read the post I was replying to!) TJ said:

I would like to see roadblocks and test everyone on the roads.

yunki
    Free Member

WOW… Drink driving – Champagne as it should be…

ooops… different thread

vinnyeh

No, you get a grip (and read the post I was replying to!) TJ said:

I would like to see roadblocks and test everyone on the roads.

aah, apologies. I guess I'd assumed that tj wasn't literally meaning to test everybody on the road. I'm not really sure how that could work anyway.
    From his earlier use of the word 'random' I thought that he was advocating the use of roadblocks and stopping random drivers at them.
    What did you think he meant?

retro83
    Free Member

aah, apologies. I guess I'd assumed that tj wasn't literally meaning to test everybody on the road. I'm not really sure how that could work anyway.
    From his earlier use of the word 'random' I thought that he was advocating the use of roadblocks and stopping random drivers at them.
    What did you think he meant?

😆 dunno now! When I posted, I thought he literally meant 'stop the traffic and test everybody' but I probably misunderstood.

I've got nothing against (for example) diverting every 20th driver into a lay-by and testing them.

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

Made me wince. Should be shown just after you pass your driving test.

Flaperon

TandemJeremy + 1

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Zokes what are you on about having a row with your kids! That is very different to driving whilst over the limit. Row with kids is a shorter period of loss of concentration, DUI is far more dangerous, lack of judgemnet, impairment, gosh I could go on that comment has really annoyed me!!!

Drink driving is for idiots, have a zero limit easy. People would then also have to be more sensible amount alcohol. If you knew you had to drive somewhere on Sunday morning you wouldn't get so hideously pi**ed on Saturday night.

molgrips
    Free Member

that noone here has ever driven whilst tired, or perhaps had an argument with their kids / OH whilst driving, never glanced at a map?

Driving whilst tired: I tend to stop for a nap periodically if I feel my judgement is impaired

Arguing: Never in a car, I save it til we've stopped

Glancing at maps: yes, but then I realised how stupid I was being and I don't do it any more. Bought satnav to avoid having to pull over all the time

Danm right. You do not have a right to do whatever you like whilst driving. Driving is a licensed privilege, and a dangerous activity which requires everyone to play by the rules and do it properly. So why the hell don't the law makers grow a pair and treat it like that.

Imagine the people working in a chemical plant or nuclear powerstation f*cking about and being so generally careless as motorists? There'd be a scandal.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Actually your judgement is significantly impaired well below the limit for many people. Experimentally shown.

Found some more info, and yes this does appear to be correct – above 30mg it seems some people are significantly affected, especially rare drinkers. UK limit is 80mg.

Muke
    Free Member

Thats a powerfull video, made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Wow Drink driving campaign as it should be’ is closed to new replies.