• This topic has 16 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Tom-B.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Would you trust National Express to be on time?
  • Tom-B
    Free Member

This coming Saturday, flying from Glasgow at 15:05 this Saturday. National Express coach leaves Stoke at 6am and is scheduled to arrive at 13:30…..jump in a cab from the station to the airport and I should be okay. Not sure how well to timetable they run…..seems like a bad idea chancing it tbh!

br
    Free Member

So you’re thinking of turning up probably only an hour before a long-distance flight (assuming long-distance, as otherwise you’d just head from Stoke).

Irrelevant of National Express, you’re cutting it a bit fine.

the-muffin-man

Would you trust National Express to be on time?

No – and even if it is you are cutting it very fine IMO.

Arrive at 13:30 then find a cab and travel across Glasgow to the airport – this isn’t going to leave you much time to check in for a 15:05 flight.

Cletus

Their coaches run on normal roads over which they have little control so I think you are cutting things too fine. When I used them to go from Cheltenham to London a couple of months ago the driver routed around a block on the M4 with little delay so I think if there is an option they will do their best to get around it.

Giving yourself 1 hour and 35 minutes before your flight takes off offers no real margin for any delay. I would get the latest coach the previous day and try to sleep on the way then have a long breakfast in Glasgow before heading to the airport.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I would always allow an hours slack and given that journey length the scope for traffic delays out of their control is significant. I used to use the bus to Heathrow a bit and allowed 1hrs slack for a 45 min journey that and checking in 2hrs before ! Perhaps thats not normal 😉

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Go for it, if you never miss a flight in your life you spend too long at airports. God Speed!

jekkyl

Nope, clear traffic on motorways can never be relied upon. Go up the day before and have a nice relaxed evening in a hotel.
    coke & hookers? 😛

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Sounds like you’re setting yourself up for a mad rush at best with that schedule. I’d do something else personally.

rocketman
    Free Member

Obv this coming Saturday is bank holiday weekend. Have you ever travelled from the Midlands to Scotland on Bank Holiday Saturday? I have many times the traffic is fricken horrendous all the way to past the Lakes and someone is *guaranteed* to break down/crash in the roadworks J17-19 or whatever it is.

Set off now & good luck

sofatester
    Free Member

Go for it.

What’s the worst that can happen?

Tom-B
    Free Member

Playing a gig the night previous with my best mates band….then after party round the corner at his….hence thinking coach rather than driving up! Looks like a sober night and set off early on Saturday morning…..currently in a courtesy car….which as we know, drive much faster than a regular car 😆

mrsheen
    Free Member

I appreciate cost may be a factor here but have you investigated train travel as an alternative or even flying Manchester or East Midlands airport to Glasgow/Edinburgh?

willjones
    Free Member

Fly from Birmingham to Glasgow?

NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEOWM

jambalaya
    Free Member

Set off now & good luck

😀

njee20
    Free Member

assuming long-distance, as otherwise you’d just head from Stoke

Ah yes, excellent choice of short haul destinations from Stoke International Airport…? 😕

project
    Free Member

Problem with nat express is theyre timetables services and have to call at all stops, they cant usually avoid any to make up time, and coaches are limed to 65 or 60 mph for tri axle coaches so cant even go a bit faster.

Go the night before, also virgin and network rail are doing repairs renewals over the bank holiday

Tom-B
    Free Member

Train doesn’t get me there until a similar time….is £100 one way, is 4 trains and some of the changes are minutes between trains!

…..I spend huge amounts of my life sat in the traffic on the M6 jcts 15-20 already! Forgot it was bank holiday though!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Would you trust National Express to be on time?’ is closed to new replies.