Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Would you spend £700 on body repairs to a 2006 VW?
  • derek_starship
    Free Member

I drive an 06 B6 Passat estate. It’s got 72k on the clock. I recently had a slow parking impact with another car and creased / scratched half of the rear near side. It doesn’t look that bad but it’s rubbish driving a car with damage. Otherwise it’s in ace nick and recently passed its MOT. I got the above estimate today. So. Do I spend the money – approx 25% of its value or leave it as is?

Dilemma or no brainer?

Your esteemed thoughts if you would.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Leave it. It’s called character.

irc

No. Not only do you save £700 but you no longer have to worry about getting dinged in car parks.

cp

but it’s rubbish driving a car with damage

It really isn’t.

No brainer.

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

get some t cut and polish it out.. it wont look so bad and you’ll save £693.01.

‘ Dont thank me … it’s what I do!’ 🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

We need a photo. My gut feel is yes get it repaired as you’ve said it bothers you and otherwise the car is in good condition mechanically. Also the damage will devalue the car, so you need to balance the cost of the repair with the reduced value if you don’t fix it.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

people will get out of your way!

garage-dweller

I dropped 350 on patching up an a 10 year old unexciting estate after a minor concrete pillar interaction this year.

The car was otherwise very tidy, has some 120000 miles in my ownership (160000 in total) and I take care of it because it covers lots of miles for work, occasionally has to carry clients and I have a sense of pride in caring for my possessions and making them last. Your motives and priorities may vary

Imo once a car has one scuff everyone treats it as a licence to belt their doors into it.

timber

Garage dweller, you just need more dents, when you hit a critical mass point, no one will park within 2 spaces of you. That was my experience of an old banger I had with no straight panels.

garage-dweller

Timber agreed but that would bother me (just doesn’t sit well with my obsessive nature) and potentially (and rightly given my role and seniority) my employer…at which point I might get lent on to update my much loved old workhorse at some hideous cost instead of running it until it drops!

edhornby

if you’re not going to sell the car then don’t bother

if there is bare metal or the risk of rust/corrosion then get it pushed out and t-cut and touch up

irc

and potentially (and rightly given my role and seniority) my employer

If your employer is going to dictate your car will he pay for it as well?

dti

garage-dweller £700 is a hideous cost for a minor repair to a £3k motor.

irc

Leave it and stick your £700 in a bank account for when something that stops the car running breaks.

Northwind

Mine came pre-mauled as it was owned by a pensioner beforehand. It has 2 great bonuses- one, I don’t need to fuss over it, clean it, avoid driving it through trees or into ditches etc, it’s already ugly. And 2, people aren’t keen to park too close to it in car parks.

Del

chipsaway

takisawa2

Have you tried Harland & Wolfe for a quote ?
    At least it would last.

robfury
    Free Member

Where abouts are you? £700 for rear quarter panel is a lot! If you are near leeds or wetherby I ll give you a quote. I run http://www.expresscarbodywork.com

hugo
    Free Member

Hard one.

If it’s needed for work, then you should get it done. It’s a pain, and doesn’t seem cost effective, but cheaper than the alternative of a new car.

If it’s not needed for work then I wouldn’t bother. You’ll forget about it, or become desensitised to it, soon.

martinhutch

If your employer wants you to drive a smart car while representing the firm, they should provide one.

Leave it be, spend on shiny bike bits.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

In the new year I’m going to be getting my 15 year old Polo fully resprayed, some rust bits sorted out etc. What it costs me will probably be worth more than the car is currently worth.

jambalaya
    Free Member

As above I would get it fixed after trying to get some cheaper quotes. I too am quite fussy with my cars and have. Pride of ownership in most things I have. As Imsaid the outright cost of the repair isn’t the only factor, it’s the loss of value if you don’t repair and/or the replacement cost (eg in DaveyBoy’s example).

derek_starship
    Free Member

I’m in Salford.

I misled a bit. It was half of the nearside. The rear passenger door took a bad hit which I pulled out but the skin has stretched and rippled. So I’ll need to provide a second hand door to be sprayed up and fitted.

The company has an excellent rep’ and I’m sure they’d do a brilliant job. But such a financial hit for aesthetics.

I’m still undecided…

wwaswas

My wife hit the corner of the wall on our drive as she set off for work recently.

3 door Golf GTi ended up with scrape for a meter down one side, side trim damaged and dent in rear 3/4 panel.

£2500.

I’d say £700 was a bargin.

grim168
    Free Member

Get the rusty tailgate done at the same time 😆

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

My wife hit the corner of the wall on our drive as she set off for work recently.

3 door Golf GTi ended up with scrape for a meter down one side, side trim damaged and dent in rear 3/4 panel.

£2500.

I’d say £700 was a bargin.

I think you got well and truly done. A few months back I had the following done on my T5 by a really well thought of local body shop who normally work on supercars and other top end stuff:
    – rust sorted on drivers 3/4 (which on a van is bloody big!) and repainted
    – both back doors fixed and repainted as well as handle colour coded + rear bumper fixed and repainted after someone drove into it and drove off
    – front bumper had ABT splitter removed and the whole lot smoothed and painted

All that was ~£1400 IIRC.

wwaswas

I think you got well and truly done.

Think there may have been a bit of ‘sill’ damage too – she gave it a bit of a thump.

Insurance sent out an assessor who didn’t argue with the quotes we had done.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Ah, if insurance was covering it then happy days 🙂

ads678

Is this not what insurance is for? premium is not going to go up £700 is it??

trail_rat
    Free Member

body shops will pump up insurance quote anyway for hassle incurred actually getting their money.

Last time my parents got hit in a drive off cockwomble incident the boy at the body shop said “insurance job or private ” – “whats the difference” …. “private job gets a cheaper price as there less hassle”

ctk
    Free Member

If you get it done do it on the insurance.

But sods law says you get it fixed and then something else goes.

rocketman
    Free Member

£700? you could get some decent forks/wheels for that

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Would you spend £700 on body repairs to a 2006 VW?’ is closed to new replies.