Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • would you replace your bars if…
  • Yardley_Hastings
    Free Member

… you’d just crashed hard enough to snap your stem in half?

I’m thinking the answer is yes but obviously by posting I’m interested in peoples opinions

For reference the stem was a Bontrager Race X-Lite 90mm and the bars were Bontrager 31.8mm, can’t remember which model.
    I’m sore!

cheers

Matthew

sq225917
    Free Member

No they’ll be fine. Do you know a good dentist?

simondbarnes

Yes

peteimpreza

Glad you made it home safe.

I as the guy in the yellow top who spoke to you earlier.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

crikey, i used to run those on my 4X bike!

I hate bontranger bars anyway so would replace them 😛

GeForceJunky

Ouch! I bet that hurt! I’d use it as an excuse to buy some nice bars and stem.

jwt
    Free Member

Had a crash that was severe enough to snap a hope brake lever,luckily had another at home, so replaced it. When, at a much later date i had the bike at an unusual position on the stand and without the grips on, saw a LARGE dent/scrape from where the snapped lever had dug into the bars.
    Sat down for a long time and counted lucky blessings, and didn’t ride again until I’d replaced the bars……………
    Glad you walked away, but you need to think long and hard just buy some new bars……
    what the hell did you do to snap a stem?

lyons
    Free Member

yeah get new bars… Its not worth taking the risk…Also in my experience bontrager bars were a horrible shape…

Yardley_Hastings
    Free Member

new bars it is then, not worth taking a risk for £40

Did it in a ‘racing incident’ at Gorrick Enduro today, I’d just got on the back of a pair of riders on a bit of fire road going at speed on lap 1, chap on the front pulled across to let the next guy through and didn’t see me when he pulled back into the line. Was doing comfortably over 20mph when I went down. It hurt. Wrote my helmet off as well, expensive day playing in the woods, but at least it didn’t rain

CountZero

Those slagging Bonty bars just think for a second, those bars survived an impact that snapped a stem in half. I personally would replace them with identical bars, confident that they’ll survive most riding incidents quite happily. FWIW, I’ve got Bonty, Answer and X-Lite carbon bars, and they all feel pretty much the same to me. The fact the Bonty bars are as strong as you’ve shown means I’ll happily replace the other make bars with them when it becomes nessessary.

zaskar
    Free Member

Don’t risk your health for £40.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘would you replace your bars if…’ is closed to new replies.