Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • would you pay full and then wait 6/7 weeks for ure bike?
  • reedspeed
    Free Member

Im just in the process of ordering an Orange 5,and can get a great deal,thx to someone on here! .

However,ive been told today ive got to pay in full,& the bike wont arrive untill the first week in March because of low stocks of rp23 khasima shocks,! ,& im a bit on the back foot to say the least! ,the bikes just over 3 grand & i dont know these guys from adam,im happy to pay a deposit say £500.00 & the balance in cash or debit card upon delivery,.

Or am i worrying too much in these uncertain times! !!!.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

No way would I do that. I’d pay a small deposit only

mikewsmith
    Free Member

whats a URE bike?

ton

no.
    double no for a orange.
    triple no for a five.

skywalker
    Free Member

They can’t expect you to pay in full, a deposit should be enough, especially if its as much as £500.

I would offer them a 10% deposit, thats the norm isn’t it?

cyclistm
    Free Member

credit card at a push, but no I wouldn’t

landcruiser
    Free Member

Does depend who from I suppose… Is this from a LBS or on line etc?

You can maybe check them out by phoning Orange and confirming that they are a dealer/supplier ! and ask about the kashima shock story at the same time.

sofatester
    Free Member

No.

As above, offer 10% or walk.

reedspeed
    Free Member

Its steels in newcastle! ,& theres a deal on untill the end of the month,& as its a custom build they want payment in full, its there policey they tell me…

reedspeed
    Free Member

Thing is,im savin £800,!

reedspeed
    Free Member

Orange have confirmed the shock sitch, its due to the demand of the black n gold!

chakaping
    Free Member

Try bikeactive. They are good on orange prices

Rorschach
    Free Member

its there policey

Where to start?

loum
    Free Member

You should have mentioned “custom build” originally.
    That’s a different question to “off the shelf”.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Hmmm.

Usual practice is to pay a deposit on something like this.

However, I’ve known a lot of shops who are doing “deals” where there is a percentage off a current model bike (it’s 20% at Steels, isn’t it?) that’s a limited time offer to ask for payment in full for custom builds. Only in this situation, and I can see where they’re coming from- bloke they don’t know from Adam wants bike in the deal because he’s talked himself into being able to afford it at the reduced price, pays deposit, thinks about it, decides he can’t afford it, bails and leaves the shop with a 3k Orange with a very specific spec.

As it’s a shop with a good reputation I’d go for it- you WILL get your bike (I know because my Five with kashima just turned up) and you’ve got to pay it all in the end anyway.

skywalker
    Free Member

If you are that worried, phone Orange, tell them the price you have been offered and buy it direct from them.

reedspeed
    Free Member

You should have mentioned “custom build” originally.That’s a different question to “off the shelf”.

So thats normal then issit? ,what if they go tits! ,theres old establish so called well healed Co’s goin daily!

br
    Free Member

In a way not surprised, what happens if you change your mind and they’ve a ‘custom’ bike they’ve then to get rid of?

Also unsure of the credit terms Orange offer LBS, and their return policy (for standard or custom bikes).

Maybe you’d be better buying from someone local, they’ll probably be able to match (or get near to) the price – and whatever you do, use a credit card that has ‘protection’.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Where are you based reedspeed? I just bought my Five from JE James and price matched it to another shop. They can do this for you and I know they’d take the deposit and let you pay the rest provided you can prove Steels can get the bike for you.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Pay on your credit card for coverage if they go belly up.

eshershore
    Free Member

would expect to pay 50% for a custom bike up-front, and balance on collection

this way its not legally registered as a “deposit” which is in essence, refundable (meaning the shop takes the hit if you walk..)

50% would be part-payment, and not refundable unless the shop failed to deliver the goods in the allotted time frame (they have then broken the sales contract with you)

50% payment would protect the shop for the risk of custom building a bike as you have then entered into a binding contract, and also cover the “cost” of many of the parts required for the custom build, so everything received in the balance is their profit / time

a production (stock) bike is a different matter because its just one of many exactly the same…would not expect to pay more than 10% deposit to “hold” a bike some weeks out from being available

and pay with your credit card, as others have suggested.

benjbish

Custom build for me done by Skyline in Afan with a 10% deposit…. No worries at all from them. Was told about the wait before and arrived earlier than predicted with the new 2012 kit… first stock in the UK. Will be using again.

garage-dweller

Would not pay it all upfront. What is it that is so critical you can’t buy stock set up? No offence intended just seems like a lot of hassle and risk to take.

timc
    Free Member

and this is where people who have a good relationship with there LBS never have an issue!!

deposit only for me

sc-xc

I’m sure I paid up front, then waited a few weeks for my Planet X SL. No problem with it.

reedspeed
    Free Member

and this is where people who have a good relationship with there LBS never have an issue!!
    deposit only for me

What with a 4 grand custom
    Built bike ?,I tried my local shop & they couldn’t or wouldn’t match it never mind beat it !

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

,I tried my local shop & they couldn’t or wouldn’t match it never mind beat it !

datz cos you have bad relationz

reedspeed
    Free Member

datz cos you have bad relationz

Actually i dont have any relations with Steels either & theyre giving me 20% off!,anyway shouldnt you be in bed you know how bad tempered you get & you dont want to be late for school! , or izzit skool. ?,me mane man innit,homey! !

yunki
    Free Member

on here it’s quite normal for folk to pay full and then wait 6 or 7 months (and longer) for bikes from up t’north..

don’t worry about it.. have a nice hot bath and a cuppa.. take a jazz mag with you.. learn to play mah jong..
    it’ll be fine

FuzzyWuzzy

I got a custom spec £5k bike last year via a bike shop and just paid £500 deposit until it was ready to collect. I can sort of see why some LBS would want effectively a 100% deposit though – if you’re happy they’re going to be around in a couple of months and can pay it on credit card then personally I’d do it if it was a bargain I couldn’t get elsewhere.

Rorschach
    Free Member

I tried my local shop & they couldn’t or wouldn’t match it never mind beat it

Not suprising really.I would’nt be that interested on making £200 on a £4k sale either.

reedspeed
    Free Member

Theyve come round to my way of thinking, £500 deposit balance upon delivary! ,happy bunny. …7

pmc00per
    Free Member

My lbs didn’t even losewant a deposit when I had my five custom built. I had bought stuff from them forma while though (nothing as grand as a whole bike though)

reedspeed
    Free Member

All ordered! ,& just gave £500.00 deposit in the end,so all happy! 😀

devilman
    Free Member

I paid in full from msteel.Buggers. Custom five also,I was assured 6 six max.

MarkN
    Free Member

A bit late but no I would not. Deposit and the rest on delivery.

reedspeed
    Free Member

I paid in full from msteel.Buggers. Custom five also,I was assured 6 six max.

devilman, was that six weeks lead time ??

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘would you pay full and then wait 6/7 weeks for ure bike?’ is closed to new replies.