Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 106 total)
  • Would you move house just to be closer to better biking?
  • jekkyl

I was up the white peak at the weekend and was astounded by the quality of the biking to be had in the area. There was tracks not like anything in my local area, I’m talking boulder-tastic, root filled, fast paced whoopin for joy jumping fantastic trails. Where I live at the mo I go out for what has to be said mainly road rides on a mtb and try to cram in as many short techy or xc bits as I can but even the best bits in the local area are trash compared to the worst bits of my ride at the weekend.
    Anyway I’m on right move looking at houses in the area and we could probably afford a house just a wee bit smaller than we’re in now. The wife thinks I’m crazy and has kiboshed any plans so it’s all a bit of a pipe dream but it does no harm to dream.
    So…… How much does a divorce cost and would I be left with enough equity for a reasonable deposit??!! 😉

rOcKeTdOg

I wouldn’t move where the riding was poor & I’d have to use a car to get to trails, I’d move to Wales or Scotland in a heartbeat if there was work for me there

scotroutes

Would being close to better riding, walking, paddling and skiing count? If so, then yes.

legend
    Free Member

Would you move house just to be closer to better biking?

In a heartbeat, and the missus would too. Sadly work gets in the way – for now 🙁

DanW
    Free Member

You have to live near somewhere with reasonable trails but you can’t live near the very best as you’ll never appreciate just how good you have it and find travelling anywhere else damn boring 🙂

CheesybeanZ

We both would in a heart beat if money/ work wasn’t an issue .

davesmate
    Free Member

If work wasn’t an issue then yes, in a heartbeat. If I ever find myself in the position of relocating for a job then the riding (or lack of) would definitely be a contributing factor of wether I made the move or not.

Friend of mine just moved to South Wales just for the riding. He’s a truck driver and his Mrs is an agency care assistant so neither of them had any real ties.

postierich
    Free Member

My Mrs told me 3 yrs ago that she was planning on progressing her career(NHS) and would mean moving house and asked what I felt about it? told her to only consider jobs near some big hills and forget Cambridgeshire Lincolnshire luckily she got a job in the South Lakes. Looks like she is progressing even more and another move is on the cards, Looks like she will be commuting 🙂

fathomer

Exactly as legend says, one day fingers crossed!

postierich
    Free Member

Davesmate is that Dione and Nicky?

bikebouy
    Free Member

All the stars lined up for me 20 years ago. I moved from Ironbridge to the South Coast where I am now. I was a mad keen up and coming sailor (RYA squad) and travelling to the coast for events each week became a physical and mental challenge. Working for a large Bank I managed a transfer to run a Regional office and sailed right out of the Hamble where I’d been travelling to and from for years.
    So, I moved for my love of my sport, what’s stopping you?

mt
    Free Member

Did just that for both cycling and climbing.

duir
    Free Member

Would you move house just to be closer to better biking?

I just did that very thing!

davesmate
    Free Member

yes postierich

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Yup, moved to the Peaks 20 years ago for that very reason.

nonk
    Free Member

@ rocketdog just move mate then sort the work out that’s the only way I have ever made it happen .

matt_outandabout

Yes.
    One of the main pulls to move Sheffield to Scotland was quality of life, of which lots of mountains and activities was a huge part of.

ahsat

Have seriously spent the weekend questioning whether to leave academia to have better work life balance and allow us to move closer to the hills (admittedly we don’t do badly in the NE). Problem is I don’t know what else I’d do. That is more the limiting factor.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

We moved house to get a barge to put two Ducatis in. Does that count?

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Yes

curiousyellow
    Free Member

I did.

It works because I found better paid work close by too.

It’s awesome.

milky1980
    Free Member

Nearly did this towards the end of last year via an internal transfer. Unfortunately we lost a big contract so everything was put on hold, hoping to resurrect it once the dust has settled.

So yes, I would!

dazh

I did it last summer. Of course that’s not what I tell people who don’t ride bikes, and there are many other advantages, but if I’m honest the biking was the main reason for me. Of course it helped that my better half also wanted to move for entirely different reasons so we’d have probably done it anyway, but I certainly wouldn’t have moved anywhere where there wasn’t biking on the doorstep.

binners

Yes. Moving to somewhere with fantastic trails straight from the door is quality-of-life nirvana. Especially when you’ve got a good summer like last year, and you can just swan off out on dry, dusty awesomez trails on a whim, most evenings.

You do have to sacrifice some other stuff, like all the art galleries you never visit, access to organic quinoa, and being over-charged in poncey bars, but would I move back to the city?

**** that!!! 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

No. Because I wouldn’t have moved anywhere that wasn’t near good trails in the first place 🙂

matt_outandabout

PeterPoddy – Member

We moved house to get a barge to put two Ducatis in
    Are you my bosses husband?

duncancallum

from Formby to Horwich, ok its not mtb mecca but it was better than west houghton

alisonsmiles
    Free Member

I did. Started a job which meant some days I was working mornings and evenings leaving middle of the day free to do other stuff … like ride my bike. Eccles wasn’t exactly well placed for heading out from the door stop, even on the road bike. Moved to New Mills. May well never leave.

marcgear
    Free Member

Am moving from Essex to Skipton for better biking, scenery, hiking, schools, and ale.

ianfitz
    Free Member

I was brought up in formby. Left as soon as I could support myself (17) live in Sheffield now – 20+ years.

Originally for climbing then fell running now a return to Mtb.

So yes…

nickc

yep, when I had to find a job after lest employers turned out to be arseholes, made a list of places I wanted to be and made it no.1 requirement

rickon
    Free Member

I’m a 20 minute drive from Glentress and Innerleithen.

I’m moving to Peebles or Inners to be closer to riding.

So yes. Totally.

duncancallum

Ian when did you leave Formby?

its soo flat. but i did enjoy the pinewoods

dudeofdoom

Yup….got a bolt hole in Spain…..just hanging on as Dont want to retire too early an get bored..

sprocker
    Free Member

I just have done can ride from home now it’s ace. House is loads nicer to though which kept my better half happy.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Very tempted, as I’m contracting now, so could really base myself anywhere.
    Trouble is, Location for all major routes where I am now is perfect, but the riding from my door is crap.

So, yes, very, very, tempted.

BadlyWiredDog

How else would you decide where to live?

northernmatt

milky1980 – Member
    Nearly did this towards the end of last year via an internal transfer. Unfortunately we lost a big contract so everything was put on hold, hoping to resurrect it once the dust has settled.

So yes, I would!

Eh!? You live in South Wales and have some pretty bloody good riding within spitting distance of you, admittedly not from your door but you’re doing better than a lot of other people, me included. You’re not moving to the Peaks are you?

Stainypants

Fortunate enough to live where I can ride out of home/work both on the MTB and have road bike. My plan is in a few years if work went tits up I’d be able to contract from the bottom of my garden.

samunkim
    Free Member

Yeah. Hertfordshire is proper boring pile of overpriced shite

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 106 total)

The topic ‘Would you move house just to be closer to better biking?’ is closed to new replies.