Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Would you have a Tungsten wedding ring?
  • soma_rich
    Free Member

Look good cheap and no issues with cutting them off like Ti.

clubber
    Free Member

No issue cutting off Ti either…

jota180
    Free Member

Would you have a [strike]Tungsten[/strike] wedding ring?

No

midlifecrashes

For the right woman, yes.

druidh
    Free Member

jota180 – Member
    > Would you have a Tungsten wedding ring?
    No

That

soma_rich
    Free Member

Clubber that seems debatable and I haven’t seen proof either way.

richmtb

I looked at tungsten, very heavy and normally make nice chunky rings. Not ideal for my little hands though so in the end I went with a Ti ring

clubber
    Free Member

rich – debate was had here many times. As I recall people who actually work in the emergency services posted that it wasn’t an issue.

wrecker
    Free Member

I have got one. £60 odd from Pravins so if I lose it I can replace it without too much bother. DO NOT get a black one, the coating rubs off and it looks terrible within a couple of weeks. The silver one I have is absolutely spotless and still looks brand new (she would not notice if I had to replace it!)

soma_rich
    Free Member

Good point about replacing it. I could get a couple and have a spare locked away!

richmtb

I’m not a metalurgist but is tungsten not a hell of a lot tougher than Ti anyway. So if its a proble to cut a titanium ring (which I doubt BTW) it would also be a problem to remove a tungsten ring (I might be thinking of tungsten alloys though)

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

Apparently a tungsten carbide ring can be removed by cracking with mole grips-titanium can be cut off with either a ring saw or with snips that A&E use I believe. I think it takes longer than gold though-would like confirmation of this as I am looking to replace my Knackered wedding ring & really like the look of the alternative materials.

wrecker
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poM423pewRE[/video]

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

No I would not have a tungsten or titanium wedding ring. I went for platinum.

wrecker
    Free Member

I’m not a jewellery wearer and just wanted something hard wearing and cheap. My finger is just not worthy of much investment, and I do not value expensive bling.
    I don’t know about tough, but tungsten is hard. I’ve scratched glasses and taken shavings off metal door handles without realising. As I said, the ring is completely unmarked.

jota180
    Free Member

Google: degloving injury

Actually don’t

jon1973
    Free Member

nothing wrong with a few wear marks on a wedding ring, it gives it character.

acjim
    Free Member

got to be gold and chunky – do it

richc
    Free Member

got to be gold and chunky – do it

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Rich, yeah, I’d have one. I don’t do gold, I think it looks cheap. My wedding ring is stainless steel, which at the time was hard to find in the UK in a nice simple design. So I got mine from the USA, from Salt Lake Silver. It was about £60 delivered including customs charges. I wish I’d have bought a spare actually.
    SLS do all sorts of stuff, and custom stuff IIRC. It might be worth trying them 🙂

theflatboy
    Free Member

as above, i understood tungsten was supposed to be virtually indestructible so far harder to cut off than ti… 😕

i went for platinum, anyway.

MrTall
    Free Member

I got married last month and went for a Tungsten Carbide ring as i’m not a fan of jewellery and didn’t want the Mrs to spend loads on a ring that will rarely be worn.

It only cost £50 and seems really hard wearing and always shines up like new if it gets dirty. I have not been able to scratch it so far despite catching it on several surfaces.

If i lose it it’s no problem to replace as it was so cheap.

chewkw
    Free Member

I prefer stainless steel.

Yorkshire-Pudding
    Free Member

Bit like a bike for me. I’d go for look and characteristics over rarity and price! As above it’s a really hard metal and some of the rings look really good. Keep it cheap and spend more on her ring she’ll appreciate it more. Or see if you can get a bike/wedding ring combo package for the same price as a Platinum ring. 😉

wrecker
    Free Member

Or see if you can get a bike/wedding ring combo package for the same price as a Platinum ring.

That’s pretty much what I did!

satsoma
    Free Member

Erm…I hate to butt in, but we’ve only got a tiny wedding budget as it is…so you can only buy a bike with it if money is left over at the end!

As you were gentlemen.

MrNutt
    Free Member

Dolphin or platypus bone the only option for the discerning.

soobalias
    Free Member

suay design SS ring and a dialled alpine for far less than the missus wedding ring, white gold, not to mention the engagement ring, a deal where i certainly came off worse

HolmwoodDave
    Free Member

Tungsten carbide here, not been a jewellery person but wanted to wear a wedding ring. To ‘try it out’ I opted for one @ £35ish with the view to replacing it when I got used to it. Not going to bother now as I like the look and slightly heavier feel of it compared with others I tried.
    I used this place as they were happy for me to order a few different styles/shapes and send back the unwanted ones (at postage cost of course!). I settled on the 6mm court tungsten carbide one…..

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Would you have a Tungsten wedding ring?’ is closed to new replies.