Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Would you fly to France with a few days left on passport?
  • mudshark
    Free Member

If you’re passport was set to expire a few days after your return flight would you be happy to use it or want to renew it first?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

check the passport regs for the airline and call them first

br
    Free Member

Rather than posting on here, get it renewed NOW.

Toddboy
    Free Member

I thought that you needed at least 6 months on it? Or does that not count if it’s Europe?

nickjb
    Free Member

I thought you could travel in Europe on an expired passport. Its only used as ID. That said yours is still valid. Why is it even a question?

captmorgan
    Free Member

nickjb – Member
    I thought you could travel in Europe on an expired passport. Its only used as ID. That said yours is still valid. Why is it even a question?

POSTED 2 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Ever tried it?

gonefishin
    Free Member

I did a trip to Norway and my passport expired the day after I got back. No issues at all.

The six month thing is for certain countries and I’d be surprised if France was one of them. It’ll be fine.

Your passport should be valid for the proposed duration of your stay; you don’t need any additional period of validity on your passport beyond this.

From the FCO website.

mudshark
    Free Member

Yep I have already had my trip and had no problems with immigration, however….

BA didn’t want to let me on the flight. I had to do a fair bit of arguing before someone was asked to do some Googling to show that I was right and they had to override the computer somehow to check me in.

natrix
    Free Member

I recently took the Eurostar to France with about a month left on my passport. The UK customs people gave me grief over it, but they let me travel.

Toddboy
    Free Member

Why don’t you save any possible trouble and just renew it? It doesn’t take long if you can get to a passport office fairly easily.

njee20
    Free Member

Yay for people continuing to post without actually reading the thread!

I don’t know why you don’t just renew it now, before your trip, because you’ve definitely not already been?

FWIW I would have renewed it sooner, but I’d also not have expected that much grief for France.

mudshark
    Free Member

Trouble was I had a number of trips to make over the preceding months and as not supposed to be any problem getting into France with what I had a thought I’d wait until my travelling had finished before renewing. Immigration were fine so why BA had to cause problems I have no idea.

jate
    Free Member

I flew to Croatia when my passport was due to expire the day after my return flight.
    UK Border Control didn’t care.
    The Croatians didn’t care.
    Norwegian Air had to be persuaded that it was fine (which it was, and is) by my presenting a print out of the relevant regulations printed off the FCO site.
    It is a myth that you need a certain unexpired period on your passport. That only applies to a handful of countries (e.g. USA, New Zealand and Israel from memory).
    The carrier is the most likely to be the one causing you grief as I assume that if you are turned away at the other end it falls upon them to get you back to the UK.

Dickyboy

BA probably just in autopilot mode I guess as they would normally be held responsible for any rejected passengers being returned, got fined £90 in bali once as had less than 6 months left on passport, wouldn’t worry me for eu travel in the slightest

mudshark
    Free Member

Seems BA keep making this mistake – surely they can sort themselves out?!

https://aviosaddict.com/can-i-travel-with-less-than-six-months-left-on-my-british-passport/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Would you fly to France with a few days left on passport?’ is closed to new replies.