Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Would you emigrate to BC, Canada?
  • jb79
    Free Member

Got the chance to move to BC – been offered jobs there (in pemberton, tofino and nanaimo). Would you go? Do you know anyone who has?

backhander
    Free Member

In a second, without a moments hesitation.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

If my folks weren’t so old, in a heart beat.

mav12
    Free Member

woulnt hesitate if i was younger been there twice on holiday fanatastic place

stayed in tofino once

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

Almost certainly. Fabulous part of the world and you are right on the doorstep of Whistler for skiing in winter and mountain biking in the summer.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

If there’s a job ready and waiting, what’s stopping you?!?

SaxonRider

Go for it. Seriously. You’ll love it. Just don’t get eaten by grizzly bears.

backhander
    Free Member

If you don’t want any of the jobs, can I have one please?

winston_dog
    Free Member

Tomorrow.
    Go for it!
    I spent 6 weeks on Vancouver Island in 1993, it was awesome.
    Go now!

Have you got to the airport yet? If not why not?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Love to. The only reason we haven’t is that the wife is scared of being eaten by a bear or a cougar.

xiphon
    Free Member

Yes, and mrs xiphon would jump at the chance too. I’m lucky 😀

ART

Are you still here? Of course I’d go. You can always come back. Or you can sit here years later wondering why you didn’t take the opportunity when you had it.

SaxonRider

Onzadog – Member
    Love to. The only reason we haven’t is that the wife is scared of being eaten by a bear or a cougar.

😆

My wife is quite a hearty sort, who will happily camp pretty much anywhere. Except that in Canada, she was always convinced that bears were trying to get into our tent, which meant that she would never sleep. Needless to say, she finds camping across Europe alot more congenial!

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Go for it!

crispedwheel
    Free Member

Yes, definitely.

MoreCashThanDash

If I was younger with no ties, yes. MrsMCTD would do the same – we had our honeymoon in the Rockies.

That said, the grass isn’t always greener – do some research with people who actually live out there re cost of living, coping with the climate etc, especially if the move would be a “must succeed” last chance. Friends of mine got burnt with a failed move to New Zealand when the job wasn’t quite as expected.

cyberbob
    Free Member

Nah, Im happy enough living in England thank you very much 🙂

sobriety
    Free Member

In a heartbeat.

molgrips
    Free Member

I wouldn’t necessarily want to commit to a permament move, but you don’t have to.

In general, jobs overseas are cool.

toby1

In half a heartbeat …

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Friends of mine did and came back after 18 months. Why not? But do not burn your bridges – don’t sell your house here until you are certain you want to stay for example.

rocketman
    Free Member

It sounds good but living in these places is different to holidaying there or watching them on Life Cycles

I have a cousin who gave up a fairly promising athletics career to go and live with her NZ boyfriend near Queenstown and after the honeymoon was over it is – allegedly – the same sh*t, just somewhere else.

beamers

I could handle the same shit with views like this to look at every day*

016-Kayaks on Meares Island by Mark and Kirsty Beaman, on Flickr

020-clouds and mountains by Mark and Kirsty Beaman, on Flickr

*It rains a lot in Tofino, but fortunately not a drop fell whilst we were there for a week in the Summer of 08.

Yes, I would be across there like a shot having lived in Alberta for 2 years and spent quite a bit of time in BC in the summer time.

backhander
    Free Member

beamers, I did that very same canoe trip! it was the day I proposed!

mikey74
    Free Member

Hell yeah!! Tomorrow, if I could. Unfortunately, being 36 years old precludes me from all options, apart from actually being offered a job there first 😥

bluebird
    Free Member

It’s probably the only place in the world I would move to.

My friends moved to North Vancouver and they love it.

Trekster

Spent 3wks in Saskatoon,Saskatchewan and no I would not live there
    Friends are planning to move to Nova Scotia next yr, will visit and case the joint 😀

SaxonRider

Trekster – Member
    Spent 3wks in Saskatoon,Saskatchewan and no I would not live there

I couldn’t agree more. I lived in Saskatchewan for five years, with Saskatoon being the nearest ‘big’ city, and it was utterly without culture. Of course I met countless lovely people, but living in a place includes more than that, and Saskatchewan just doesn’t cut it.

Nova Scotia on the other hand is absolutely lovely, with great people, great landscape, great music, great drink, great ocean. Halifax is fabulous.

But back to BC: for an outdoorsy, existentialist-type, there may be nowhere better on earth.

markgraylish
    Free Member

Would you emigrate to BC, Canada?

I did.

Moved from Wigan area to North Vancouver just over 4 years ago. Not been back to the UK since and loving it!

MoreCashThanDash

markgraylish – but can you get Uncle Joe’s Mint Balls in North Vancouver? Eh? Eh?

Creg

Yes

Its on my list of countries to investigate for work once my MSc is finished.

markgraylish
    Free Member

markgraylish – but can you get Uncle Joe’s Mint Balls in North Vancouver? Eh? Eh?

Probably (if I knew what they were!). There’s actually a large British ex-pay community here so things like Tetley tea bags and Cadburys chocolate are easy to find. Pity the same can’t be said for decent bacon and Timothy Taylors Landlord… 😆

jhw
    Free Member

I have a friend who said that Vancouver was nice but boring. However he did not do outdoor sports: more a museums in the day, bars at night kinda guy. I know, I know, I too despair at the idea of going to BC and not riding a bike.

Gary_C

I did.

Moved from Wigan area to North Vancouver just over 4 years ago. Not been back to the UK since and loving it!

Blimey, Mark! is it 4 years ago?

Time flies, eh?

NikNak7890
    Free Member

,,,In a frickin heartbeat!

My wife’s Canadian, but never set foot in the Country (looong story) and I’m constantly buggin her about me taking her “back home” to live 😉

bigbloke
    Free Member

I would go in a heart beat if i had the chance. This country is going down the toilet.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I wish I’d gone years ago, too late now though.

NikNak7890
    Free Member

any more jobs going? 😉

bol

It’s not often you get this close to a consensus on here – take it as a sign!

I’d be out there in a flash. And am slowly hatching a plan.

rs
    Free Member

of course take it, i’m assuming its 3 dif jobs and you need to choose which location, Tofino is nice for the weekend, not sure i’d want to live there, too far away from everything although you might like that, Nanaimo I don’t know much about other than having driven through it to get to Tofino, lots of strip mall type developments along the highway. Pemberton, small town but close to whistler, don’t need a ferry to visit Vancouver so that would be my choice, maybe more grizzly bears though.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Would you emigrate to BC, Canada?’ is closed to new replies.