• This topic has 35 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Would you complain?
  • foxyrider
    Free Member

Sorry for the sort of double post but I wanted to guage the STW massives thoughts on teh following:

Bought the Ultegra 7600 Groupset for a new build. Fitted it last night and finished this morning so I could ride it to work. Fab. However fitting the chain (7600 chain instructions say unidirectional) found the OEM chain to be supplied as a 6600 (old ultegra) and multidirectional.

Should I complain to Merlin or am I being picky (great bargin as cost me £525 in the end!) as I don't think it makes a lot of difference and i'll change the chain in 6 months to a 6700 probably anyway? 🙂

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I've never head of a chain being directional.

And no it's not worth complaining about.

foxyrider
    Free Member

"I've never head of a chain being directional" – well you have now 🙂 – read the shimano blurb if you don't believe me:

PDF LINK

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Coleman
    Free Member

Shimano recommend the connector link face a certain way for greater reliability so in a way it could be described as directional.

njee20
    Free Member

If it was advertised as having a 6700 chain and it doesn't then yes I would be inclined to, it's a totally different item designed to work with the groupset.

The new chain, like with Dura-Ace 7900, has a directional design to reduce chain suck and improve shifting performance. The outer plate is designed to integrate with the shifting ramps on the chainset and the inner plates integrate with the shifting ramps on the cassette. The chain's efficiency has also been improved by increasing the contact area with the gear teeth. This chain features perforated plates that help to reduce the weight to 267g.

If it came with 6600 shifters you'd complain!

BigDummy
    Free Member

I wouldn't bother personally unless it's the difference between bargainousness and not-bargainousness. But then I'd probably not have noticed…

foxyrider
    Free Member

Yup just emailed merlin – I wonder where I stand as I have already mounted it in the interim 🙂 I didn't write a complaint email I just tried to point out the facts and say I was 'suprised' to find the wrong chain etc… Best to always start pleasantly, no need to be rude 🙂 Was really a point rather than being really annoyed etc

njee20
    Free Member

Oh yeah definitely start by just suggesting they 'accidentally included the wrong chain in the order'!

samuri
    Free Member

I'd complain. They didn't send what you ordered so they need a ruddy good punch up the bottom. I'd not be rude but I'd be a bit terse with them. It's the only language these peole understand. 😉

aracer
    Free Member

I'd be more worried about getting an Ultegra 7600 groupset!

foxyrider
    Free Member

I'd be more worried about getting an Ultegra 7600 groupset!

Eh? Don't get you? Are you a Campag/SRAM Man then? 🙂

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

(great bargin as cost me £525 in the end!)

that's nearly twice what I paid for my entire BIKE :o) I'd want diamond rivetted chain for that!

foxyrider
    Free Member

I didn't say it was cheap I said it was a bargin 🙂 The Ribble Sportive carbon frame I got I feel was also a bargin @ £465 inc fork as other 'bigger' bike names sell the same frame for £1000 more with a different paint job! 🙂

aracer
    Free Member

Eh? Don't get you? Are you a Campag/SRAM Man then?

I'd have suspicions that Ultegra kit with 7600 numbering might be fake 😉

njee20
    Free Member

Eh? Don't get you? Are you a Campag/SRAM Man then?

7600 doesn't actually exist, the new Ultegra is 6700, I wasn't going to be so anal 😉

But yes, I believe he is a Campag man, heathen!

foxyrider
    Free Member

Ahh typo – oops – Ahhh Sarcasm aracer – nice 😉

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I'd probably do what you've done- politely mention it, but I'd be prepared for them to say that's how it is to do it at that price, in which case I'd just forget about it.

Coleman
    Free Member

Foxyrider – I've just received my 6700 groupset from those nice men at Merlin. It's a mixture of OEM and boxed and all OK. The chain is 6700 (bagged) so I would pursue this with them – it might just be a packing error as the correct chains are in stock.
    Hope you sort it out.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Ahh cool – thanks Coleman – give me hope 😉 I'll see what they say but as I say I have fitted it so maybe I stuffed my chances 🙂

DickBarton

Yes, you are picky…I wouldn't complain…

DezB
    Free Member

On my recommendation:

1. Mate bought a LX equipped bike. Turned up with Deore bits instead of LX. Replacement groupset (which I had to fit) sent after a few emails and/or phone calls
    2. Another mate – L&M light bought for a headlamp. Turned up with no helmet mount. Few emails, never resolved.
    3. Another one! Frame bought – "includes Ritchey headset". Arrives with headset, no crown race, no compression ring etc. Emails sent, parts sent, wrong parts. On-going.

All from the same online dealer.
    I certainly won't be recommending them any more.

And yes, you should complain. They must get 100s!

cyclistm
    Free Member

DezB, from the retailer mentioned in the ad or a different one?

cyclistm
    Free Member

Just to clarify. DezB, from the retailer mentioned in the ad or a different one?

DezB
    Free Member

The same one.

aracer
    Free Member

I certainly won't be recommending them any more.

I have to wonder why you kept recommending for so long. No idea what ad is being referred to, but it does sound a lot like a company who did number one bike bits.

DezB
    Free Member

I have to wonder why you kept recommending for so long

Do you really? You think a company would keep making mistakes? My point is, that is my limited experience wth them: they must get loads of issues.

And its the store mentioned by the OP. You know, named after a wizard.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I've only ever had good experiences with merlin, even when im at fault (mispelt address) they've sorted it out with another delivery.

Tim
    Free Member

I would have never even noticed 🙂

coffeeking
    Free Member

Are merlin going down hill? I've only ever been pleased with merlin and I've been buying from them for decades, but I've not bought anything from them for about 2 years.

Coleman
    Free Member

Merlin are magic. Be careful they know where you live. This is not J E James you're dealing with!

Junkyard
    Free Member

They are my LBS (nipping in tomorrow for some brake bits* ) and considering they sell thousands we rarely see any Merlin bashing on here (more on CRC , JE James etc) and this is one person with the wrong chain which has yet to be answered by them give them a chance.

* BLATANT ATTEMPT TO BIG UP SHOP IN RETURN FOR DISCOUNT 😉

Coleman
    Free Member

They are already giving us an extra 10% discount this week. 🙂

On here it's quite frightening how fast a simple query can evolve into negative feedback for a retailer

foxyrider
    Free Member

On here it's quite frightening how fast a simple query can evolve into negative feedback for a retailer

Certainly not my intention to diss Merlin – was just a simple question of wether I should take it further or not bother – not a real biggy 🙂 I still await their answer – think they are busy with their weeks discounting 😉 I have had no bother with Merlin in my years of ordering and my recent purchases of OEM from Merlin has saved me packets!

foxyrider
    Free Member

Hi there, It looks like someone has picked the wrong chain for you there (we have both in stock). Can you fire it back and I will get it swapped over for you.

Regards Graham

My faith restored – but I have already fitted it – oops. Anyway query resolved 😉

Update – They said even though I fitted it I should return it as its been sent in by mistake and they'll give me a 6700 chain – cool – Thanks Merlin!

Coleman
    Free Member

That's great news. I always like a happy ending.

DezB
    Free Member

Yes, they do seem to sort things out in the end. Just wish there wasn't problems in the first place.
    I'm glad I'm a lone voice in the negative stakes, as I like to think Merlin are one of the good ones.
    Getting bloody frustrated with this integrated headset business though 😕

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Would you complain?’ is closed to new replies.