Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Would you buy Enduro 650b 2016 or Stumpy 650b 2016
  • pbooker1995
    Free Member

Looking at either of these two for the next bike. Would be the S Works Model I would go for.

I know the definitive answer is to ride both and find out that way but just wondering what others reckon, especially to the Enduro? I had an Enduro 29 and it was brilliant.

The stumpy is very tempting with the SWAT technology and the fact that the geo looks spot on too helps.

Thanks
    Pete

deanfbm
    Free Member

What’s it for?

In current cliche terms, the stumpy is trail/enduro, the enduro is enduro/bike park.

Ie, the stumpy is a long travel trail bike, looks to me generally used for the EWS by the specialized team, so extremely capable.

Enduro would be too much for trail riding, and is capable of being ridden at DH WCs and day in, day out a bike parks.

Are you the former or latter?

BS to “you can never have too much travel”, the bigger the travel and the heavier it is, the more you’ll just default to sitting in the saddle, twiddling the pedals trying to preserve what energy you have for anything interesting, where the window of interesting, particularly in this country becomes quite small on a bike like the enduro. Shorter travel, more efficient, more energy left to attack, and on simpler stuff, when you do attack, you get more out of it.

You had a enduro 29, you must have a pretty good idea then how capable the enduro platform is then?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Neither but what do you want it for?

jamesfts
    Free Member

Is it going to be your only bike?

Do you ride up hill?

If the answer is yes to either of those go for the Stumpy, Enduro is great but would drive me nuts if it was my only bike. If you’ve an xc bike, hardtail or similar to compliment it with then get the enduro.

jimjam
    Free Member

jamesfts

Is it going to be your only bike?

Do you ride up hill?

If the answer is yes to either of those go for the Stumpy, Enduro is great but would drive me nuts if it was my only bike. If you’ve an xc bike, hardtail or similar to compliment it with then get the enduro.

The new Enduro climbs extremely well. 2013 on are great. I’ve not ridden a new Stumpy to compare but given the similarities in geometry it has to be marginal. An enduro and a lighter wheel/tyre set would do for me.

Yesterday we did 25 miles with 5000ft of climbing, my mate was on a 2012 Enduro and seemed to cope okay so imo even the older ones climb pretty good.

jamesfts
    Free Member

Reread that and comes across like I’m slating them, I’m not saying they climb that badly (had one for years and loved it!) just that unless you’re pointing down hill they’re just not that fun.

If you want a bike you can winch to the top of a hill and smash your way back down they’re great but if you want something you can carry speed up, down and along then I’d be looking towards the Stumpy.

br
    Free Member

I had an Enduro 29 and it was brilliant.

Why did you get rid of it then?

If too big and/or too much travel, then Stumpy.

The stumpy is very tempting with the SWAT technology

Seriously… 🙄

nickjb
    Free Member

What jamesfts said. Both good bikes. Just depends on your priorities.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Imo they nailed the stumpy with the last 26″ model. That was a great bike.

Since then, the 650b models have taken a real dive. The 2014/15 was a 29er front triangle with a 650b rear and this years redesign just got slated in the reviews I’ve read.

I was certain is get a stumpy but the new ones do nothing for me.

chrismac

I test rode the 2016 and enduro back to back at the spesh demo weekend where the stumpy was launched. I went for the 29er enduro and love it, it felt more fun to ride than the stumpy. However I did that for 2 reasons.

1 I wanted to be able to take it to the Alps and thought the Stumpy would struggle
    2 I have a camber evo which is great for the days when the enduro would be overkill

If I was going down the 1 bike route I would have the Stumpy as it would cope with the Alps and be great in the UK for the other 50 weeks of the year

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Would you buy Enduro 650b 2016 or Stumpy 650b 2016’ is closed to new replies.