• This topic has 24 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by aP.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Would you buy a house 0.5 miles from a proposed dual carridgeway ?
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

Its not the living next to that worrys me – its the proposed part that worries me

For those local its the awpr route round the back of dyce

House next to dualer 0.4 miles up the road has had a notice served on it about access changing but not it being knocked down … Is there still a risk it could change route and go over the house ?

Of course itll be another 12 years before the awpr comes along !

toby1

No, but I hate traffic noise at night so always try and avoid busy roads.

hh45
    Free Member

Half a mile is far enough that you may not hear it depending on whats between it and you and wind direction. If the route is not set in stone (no punintended) then I would stay well clear of anywhere near it. The aggravation of choosing a route, disturbance and general upheaval is pretty awful. I think you only get compensated if you actually have something compulsorily purchased. For noise etc or spoilt view you get zilch. I think. You probably stand to gain nothing and possibly lose alot.

bruneep

furry boots Terry?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Stand to gain a house with a perfect location for me and the missus work. Nice house , descent plot

Noise doesnt bother me that much its trees between us and road – used to live on a silly loud road – ha
    F a meter away – inside or round the back couldnt hear it ……it was under flight pa for abz also – as is the house in question

Having a dualer on my roof does Bother me.

Bruce you have email since youll know the area well

gingerss
    Free Member

I lived maybe 200m from a busy dual carriageway for years and rarely heard anything apart from the odd crash or near miss. There were a lot of trees and the road was in a cut-out so that helped. It all depends on a number of factors.

If there’s nothing but fields between the house and road you may well get noise. If there are ‘obstacles’ then it changes…

xiphon
    Free Member

No chance!

I nearly bought a flat in London, until it emerged that an area very close was a ‘possible’ site for ‘Traveller Relocation’.

F-ck that.

chewkw
    Free Member

Super sound proof your house.

Drac

I’m about that away and can’t hear it at all at night or during the day.

bruneep

I’ll have a wee sneaky lookie tomorrow, I’d think you’ll be fine, I found it on ASPC 😉

mefty
    Free Member

What about the airport?

bruneep

I’m under the flight path for the aberdeen helicopters, don’t notice them at all.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I work right next to the Air port . Only time i head a thing is when they come up to the fence outside my window and check teir compass with engines at full chat !
    Iivin under it is no biggie to me

Woody
    Free Member

My folks are selling their house in Peterculter if that’s any help. Nice quiet cul-de-sac 😉

gonefishin
    Free Member

Terry, I live less than 0.5 miles from the A90 at the bridge of dee, and I can’t hear the traffic at all from there. The motorbikes on a Sunday morning on the south deeside road on the other hand…

If there are plenty of trees, and there are between me and the raod, then you won’t have much to worry about. It’ll not be silent but it shouldn’t be too bad. On the plus side when it (finally) gets built you’ll have much easier access south than you other wise would from Dyce.

shaxi
    Free Member

If there are plenty of trees, and there are between me and the raod, then you won’t have much to worry about. It’ll not be silent but it shouldn’t be too bad. On the plus side when it (finally) gets built you’ll have much easier access south than you other wise would from Dyce

agree with that ,that maybe a good choice if it provide a decent price !
    😀

hora
    Free Member

How close is the proposed access road(s) to the house?

Short answer. No.

When a access road/new junction etc was added on the M60 some houses within 1/2mile had a shift in their foundations. Not sure of the why’s etc but I think it could have affected the moisture levels etc.

Anyway- no – noise, pollution etc etc. I know this is tinfoil but planning on having kids (playing etc).

TiRed

Just how busy do you think it’s going to be? We lived less than 0.5 mi from the village by-pass (A420 Swindon-Oxford), wasn’t a big deal – even in rush hour. We now live right under the Heathrow flightpath and I barely notice the planes (at 1500ft). On the plus side – improved access could ADD value.

hora
    Free Member

You’ll also put off prospective buyers who will see the road etc and think ‘hmmm maybe not this one’.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Hora i think once the roads in like djaustin says it could improve value by improved access – ordinarily id just turn it down and walk away but the location is good for me and the missus and thats something we have struggled with !

The road will be busy i dont doubt that but it should draw traffic away from the road past the house at the moment – its alady on a busy rat run across town through the green belt – so its already valued accordingly imo

What i need to find out is if they plan to open the road past the house onto the dual carridgeway

konabunny
    Free Member

We now live right under the Heathrow flightpath and I barely notice the planes (at 1500ft)

This is the problem with this thread, you get all the lunatics that live right next to an airport/slaughterhouse/motorway and say they never notice the noise.

(I live next to a motorway and don’t notice the noise 😉 )

5lab

can you not look at the plans online and see where the road is likely to go?

half a mile away is a massive distance. I live ~1/3 of a mile from an urban dual carriageway and i’ve never given it a second thought (although I would if I was within 100 yards)

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’d buy a house near a dual carriageway but I’d not touch one on a river flood plain with a barge pole!

avdave2

Having a dualer on my roof does Bother me.

It’ll be fine.

aP
    Free Member

The only big concern will be where the work sites are during construction, after all how many cars drive past Aberdeen? I can’t imagine its very many…

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Would you buy a house 0.5 miles from a proposed dual carridgeway ?’ is closed to new replies.