• This topic has 37 replies, 33 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Daffy.
Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Would you buy a diesel car?
  • charliemort

Winn probably need to change in the next 6 months or so. Is diesel dead?

FuzzyWuzzy

New? No chance. Second-hand? Only if I was doing mostly long mileage journeys.

Del

i reckon the break even point on miles is going up. it was what 12k? if you’re doing 15k probably still worth it, but only if it’s a decent run, not pottering about town.

prettygreenparrot

I’d rather buy electric. But modern diesel vs petrol? Not sure there’s much in it provided they’re both serviced regularly.

weeksy

Only if it was £1000 worth and i could afford to bin it if the worst case happend. Something like an old Xsara Picasso maybe….

P-Jay
    Free Member

Yeah if it suited my needs.

I’ve got one now, it’s been great.

I’d buy a Euro6 complaint diesel no problem.

rocketman
    Free Member

Never

BillMC

Wouldn’t a Euro6 complaint diesel give you endless grief?

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Nope. Never have.
    Mostly cos I don’t like them as a driving experience. the noise and the way they make power (BMW 3 litre ones are an exception though).
    Never will unless it’s a van or something that only comes in diesel.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Crazy, of course yes. If it fits within your needs why not.

edhornby

No, we have one at the moment but won’t get another at replacement time (We’re a one car family), small petrol car and use hire cars/taxis is our plan

Possibly an electric car or hybrid if we can get the right thing

Gary_M
    Free Member

I currently have a 2.2 diesel I’ve owned for 12 years, getting rid and just bought a 1.5 petrol. It made sense 12 years ago, it doesn’t now and petrol is just so much nicer in many ways – doesn’t sound like a tractor and the fuel doesn’t stink 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Why would it?

If you are talking about SCR (the AdBlue thing) then it’s a better solution than what we had previously which was EGR.

I also think a lot of issues with the earlier high-tech diesels (which are now 10-15 year old cars) have been improved on, but that’s just a supposition.

wilburt
    Free Member

Cant remember.. whatever I said in the last six threads asking this question.

P-Jay
    Free Member

BillMC – Member

I’ve no idea why.

I’ve had my current diesel for 4 years and 70k miles (85k total), the endless grief has been limited to normal servicing, tyres and brake pads.

Assuming for a moment we’re talking about new mainstream cars, buyers have got pretty much 2 choices:

Turbo Diesel with Adblue, the turbo diesel bit has been around forever and all the DPF and EGR issues that effected some owners 10 years ago, aren’t happening nearly as much now, and Adblue systems don’t seem to be causing any long term damage – again it’s established technology now, it’s been on trucks for years.

Or one of the new downsized Petrol Turbo engines, 3 pot turbo sub-litre engines pushing around more than a tonne of car, they may prove to be totally reliable for 150k miles, but I doubt it, in a few years when the bulk of the new generation engines are getting on a bit then we’ll find out their common faults, it’ll not doubt be some 3 letter acronym name for some do-dar most of use would have never heard of, until they start costing £500 or more to fix.

scotroutes

Complaint diesel molgrips/P-Jay…

P-Jay
    Free Member

scotroutes – Member
    Complaint diesel molgrips….

Ah… can’t spell for shit.

freeagent
    Free Member

I’ve just ordered a new company car to replace my 2014 Diesel Passat.
    I wanted a PHEV but due to price increases/currency devaluations (thanks Brexit) and the reduction of the Government subsidy for new hybrid purchases means the previously available options have all been taken off the list as they are no longer in my price bracket.

So, I’ve just ordered a 2 litre Diesel BMW and will be committed to it for 4 years/80k.

Would I buy one with my own money – Yes, for the kind of driving I do (20k+ per year) but not for shorter journeys/around town.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member
    Frankenstein
    Free Member

I don’t do enough mileage to justify a diesel vehicle.

switchbacktrog
    Free Member

Cars/SUV’s with AWD and a petrol engine are hard to find if that’s what you want.

toby1

Bought a Derv Civic with 120k on on June as I needed a car quickly.

Fuel economy is good, car is in pretty good nick for the mileage, comfy and chugs along well.

Is it hurting the environment, probably, is it killing small children daily, almost definitely. Was it cheap and does it do the job I need it to, hell yeah.

New, well no, I’d never buy a new diesel as I’m not a farmer.

pictonroad

Just bought* a Euro 6 3cyl diesel with no adblue.

Honestly, it’s a bit shit, should have got a petrol.

*company lease contribution scheme. It must be mine as I pay the parking fines.

simon_g

If I was doing 20k+ a year, yes.

Else only if I wanted a particular model secondhand and diesels were all they sold – the MPV market and almost anything sold to fleets is like this.

Lots depends on how likely you are to be hit with surcharges on residents permits, and emissions-based things like the T-charge and ULEZ stuff in London in the time you own the car.

parkesie
    Free Member

I do about 8k a year mostly in 1-200 mile journeys. Petrol for me going to run it as long as I can.

stevious

Not for me. Have owned a diesel on and off for years with no problems but can’t really bring myself to buy an ICE now so will be getting a new leaf in the new year.

I do 15k miles/year but have thought a bit about it and the only journey that will suck in an EV will be the drive to see my sis that I do once or twice a year.

middleagedmadness
    Free Member

euro 6 will give no more problems than any other diesel , the scr system only injects adblue when the engine is running at hot temps otherwise it would just dribble out of the exhaust , we have had adblue on trucks since euro 5 and the pumps have improved drastically , the only issue is it needs a oil change a bit more regular as the engine is running at a lot higher tempretures so there is a big carbon build up in the oil , there is no need to spend £5000 on a new dpf anymore as there are plenty of places what will bake your old one returning it to new condition

hjghg5
    Free Member

No, and I never have done. Finding a petrol berlingo wasn’t easy, but I found one and pray it doesn’t die on me any time soon! I don’t do enough miles and cycle commuting in a city has given me a real dislike of diesel fumes.

tomhoward

No, but I might get my brother in law to lease one for me. Seems like a problem free way of doing it.

xcstu
    Free Member

Yes… but then again mine is a Vdub Transporter

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Diesel? No thanks. I simply don’t like driving them. I prefer a petrol engine (and two wheels but that’s another story) and I simply don’t do enough mines to ever make a saving. My motorbike is cheaper to run anyway.

Daffy

Nope, but then…I’ve never bought one. I’m probably in the minority here, but my next car will be a 3L turbo petrol.

nickewen
    Free Member

I know there are a few threads on this but it is a good question. I’ve never bought a diesel car since getting my license 15 years ago. However, we’re looking to replace one of our cars (both petrol hatchbacks) with an A4 estate..

Problem is they just don’t exist in any great numbers with a petrol engine.. For example, with the search criteria I have in AT (up to 45k, 2014 onwards, etc) when I switch from diesel > petrol the number of cars goes from 90 to 1 or 2.. I’d much rather have the 2.0T petrol but you can get a much better diesel (spec, mileage etc) for less money.

Short answer is aye. Never thought I’d say it mind.

sbob
    Free Member

Hippy answer: if you’re doing enough miles to justify a diesel, maybe alter your lifestyle to do fewer miles… 💡

Man’s answer: get a large capacity petrol V8 you fairy, oilburners are for farmers.

😀

sbob
    Free Member

Bought a Derv

chugs along

See what I mean? 😉

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Can’t see taxes on current diesels being hiked any time soon, either at the pump or via RFL.
    At the pump; too much additional cost to industry would feed into inflation and undermine competitiveness.
    At RFL; traditionally, major changes have been applied only to new registrations. I’d gamble on this approach persisting.

So, we’ve bucked the emerging trend a bit and recently replaced the car that did the fewer miles (previously a petrol) with a diesel.
    This second car previously only did about 10k a year, Mrs to work and back, but we’ll probably end up using it a bit more now instead of just taking my bigger diesel as default when both out together.
    Probably try to move the balance away from the current 20k+10k mileage figures to more like 15k+15k.

Little Golf DSG diesel – It’s brilliant. £20 RFL, 75mpg on a run according to trip comp and because they’ve apparently fallen out of favour, we paid round-about the “private-average cond” price for a main dealer maintained car in A1 condition.
    Hope they’re still out of favour when I come to replace mine next 😉

jambalaya
    Free Member

No diesel option for newly launched Cayenne. Sign of the times, Diesel sales down 22%

I am in the market for a 2-4 yr old bike friendly car, it may have to be diesel as petrol choices are so limited. Looking on sales sites its 80% diesel good petrol cars are like hens teeth

Daffy

good petrol cars are like hens teeth

But give it a few years and it’ll be muuuch better.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Would you buy a diesel car?’ is closed to new replies.