Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Would you become a politician at the moment?
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I don’t care which party as most seem to be in the process of collapse, reorganisation or become too small to be relevant but…

Given the turmoil I am sure there will be some vacancies and given the scale of the turmoil there might bad a chance to actually change something.

Vote WCA anyone?

footflaps

Splitter!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I couldn’t do it. I have, largely, great admiration for those that do.
    Pay isn’t too good and everyone and his dog thinks they know more and can do better, no matter how well you try to do your job.

garage-dweller

I would be tempted, mainly because I find attempting to solve complex multi faceted problems really interesting and I reckon this country is facing a few of them.

BUT I’d get irritated by the politics and school boy bs rather than focussing on fixing the actual problems.

Vote: some other poor sod.

MSP

If I did, I think I would spend a lot of time being ineffectually angry.
    One of the first things I would like to do is create a new parliament, that doesn’t have them facing off against each other, it creates confrontation before anyone has spoken.

garage-dweller

MSP if you succeed I might just stand (or sit if you could do some nice armchairs) in the new layout.

I feel we need more focus on government less on politics.

thepurist

I thought MSP already was a politician, you’ve got the right username.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

And be in the public eye

Not a chance

You have to be whiter than white or brave or an egomanic

MSP

Yep nice modern government chambers, natural lighting, spacious committee rooms, lots of office space, the kind of building that everyone wants to work in and is conducive to getting good work done.

I would put it on an industrial estate in Runcorn though.

garage-dweller

an industrial estate in Runcorn

Ooh second home in the north on expenses, access to North Wales and Peak District I’m definitely in. 😆

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I couldn’t. I’ve got morals, a sense of decency, like to help people & can’t lie to save my life.

alpin
    Free Member

#commonsenseparty

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Pay isn’t too good and everyone and his dog thinks they know more and can do better, no matter how well you try to do your job.

Sounds a bit like something else…….
    Remind me, PP, what is it that you do? 😉

garage-dweller

I’ve got morals, a sense of decency, like to help people & can’t lie to save my life.

I think there’s some decent ones out there but government and diplomacy is like any type of management sometimes you have to make nasty choices and sometimes they are a messy compromise of your own principles in order to achieve something that is needed for the wider good with the resources and levers that you actually have rather than what you would like to do without those constraints.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Sounds a bit like something else…….
    Remind me, PP, what is it that you do?

It’s a fair point and well made 🙂

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I guess it depends what you want out of politics.

Clover

I have considered it. But I swear too much. Particularly at the moment.

dantsw13

I think it is time for a new moderate party. Sensible principles for normal people. I reckon a landslide in the current climate.

mogrim

I don’t think I could handle the party discipline – I’ve thought about it a few times, but I’ve never found a single party I completely agree with, which would mean voting for things I don’t believe in.

jambalaya
    Free Member

ernie Corbyn’s £1.6m pension ?

OP definitely right now lots of very important things to work on. Ordinarily no, years of tedium with time spent trying to reverse what the previous government has done. Was sounded out very loosely a few years ago by Lib Dems about standing in local elections, was not interested in being considered. As a friend who works a lot with local government told me, if you think the ministers are rubbish can you imagine how bad people are who are not good enough to be MPs 😯

pondo

I wish someone would become a politician at the moment. The big hitters all seem to be focused on furthering their own ends, rather than running the country. It makes me sad. 🙁

aracer
    Free Member

Not sure who else here has had any involvement even with local politics – I have in a very minor way, and discovered just how hard work it is. At least if you’re good and conscientious. I’m not sure people realise just how hard even local councillors work. Personally I found it stressful enough just doing a fraction of what they do for a very short time.

miketually
    Free Member
    ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I see the question mark but I don’t see the question.

julianwilson
    Free Member

£1.6m pension? Impressive tabloid-style calculations particularly for a member of Hacked Off.
    You are good with money aren’t you? Would you care to apply the same calculation method to any other veteran MP with an ‘interesting’ couple of years included in that service?
    Or even compare that to just the ‘golden handshake’ Cameron is due irrespective of his pension? Or that IDS is due since he stopped being work and pensions secretary?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I (kind of) already am a politician.

AND, your’e from Darlo!

I’ll never believe anything you say, ever!

molgrips
    Free Member

I’d do it. I doubt I’d get far though, people would view me like they do Corbyn (if I were lucky) and I’d end up the same way.

br
    Free Member

Yep, but I’d be a Benevolent Dictator very quickly. 🙂

thegreatape
    Free Member

If he carries on for a few more years he’ll be able to buy a nice sailing boat. He could call it ‘Jambalaya’.

Bregante

My wife would love to get involved in politics and I personally think she would be excellent. She’s a very committed person with strong morals. She’s highly educated and a very strong negotiator. She currently takes an active part in a number of unpaid public sector organisations and is in London currently working with the mental health standards commission. All of this is unpaid and in addition to her full-time job. Unfortunately it is her job that prevents her from being a Councillor or a member of any political party.

If we had the money to allow her to give up her job, I’d love her to give it a go.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Would you become a politician at the moment?’ is closed to new replies.