• This topic has 47 replies, 36 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by P-Jay.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Would you avoid a bike with a PF BB?
  • bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Really, very tempted by the new Reign Advanced.

The only niggle I have in the back of my mind is that it comes with a Shimano MT500 pf bb. I’ve always swerved frames with a pf as a threaded bb just seems so easy.

Am I worrying about nothing or are they a pain in the rear?

LeeW

The cheaper ones are but you can easily replace them with something more reliable/long lasting.

Some really good solutions from CK, Hope and Praxis.

twisty

Worst case is that if the PF BB is a PITR you end up replacing it with a Praxis or similar threaded one. The cranks are already be 24mm axle so there would be no need to change those.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

No issues with the last two I have bought. Still there seems to be plenty of people moaning about them on here.

Giving it a bit of thought, there has been years of moaning about every BB type since square taper was made obsolete. The only one I can remember affecting me was Shimano external bearings lasting a short time.I seem to remember it was always the non drive side too.

If there was a choice of the same frame with push fit and threaded BB I would choose threaded every time. Sadly the PF would seem to be cheaper to produce and therefore that is what we get offered.

Pays your money and takes the chance basically.

Lummox

I actively do, having experienced multiple failures and irritating clicks of the press fit system on friends bikes of various makes I feel justified in sticking with the ‘retro’ threaded bb in my transition.

I’m a lummox so a press fit in an area that receives a lot of torque and load seems a bad idea.

weeksy

In the ideal world i’d say “YES” i’d avoid PFBBs, however they’re so so common now that you’re massively restricting your options. I fitted a Rotor PFBB30 onto the Spearfish and that worked and lasted well, once dead the bearings were £14 posted and an easy swap, i can live with that….

The new Kona Process i have has PF and i’ll use it until it’s dead and think of a plan then.

TheGingerOne

I try to, but relented for the Kona Hei Hei DL Trail and so far it is going okay, but very early days.

Certainly on the road bike side I would only ever by an English Threaded BB, but I am only likely to ever buy a steel or titanium road bike, which helps 🙂

wwaswas

I would have said yes 9 months ago.

I now have two frames with PF BB’s and have had no problems with either.

chakaping
    Free Member

Yeah they seem fine nowadays.

Still I was quite chuffed to find my new frame has a HT2 BB – when I was expecting PF.

🙂

superfli
    Free Member

I’ve always avoided PF BB. Did it for my FS frame and my HT. Possibly would have got a Privee HT if it had bottle cage bosses and threaded BB. Bought a Stanton instead – very happy!

FOG

I stupidly bought a new frame without noticing it was PF. After a few comedy moments of ‘where’s the thread?’ nature I sorted it and two years down the line its fine. In fact I will tempt fate and say it is better than the HT2, on my previous bike at least.

warpcow
    Free Member

Another no here. I’ve been very pleasantly surprised by how trouble free mine has been in the 18 months I’ve had it. It does seem to vary depending on which PF ‘standard’ it is though.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Hmmmmm, 50/50 then.

What are these magical Hope adaptors people speak of and do they still let you run say, an XT crank in a pf bb?

BoardinBob

Haven’t had the dreaded creaking but I have gone through 2 SRAM PF30 BBs in 8 months. Bike wasn’t treated any differently from my other shimano BB’d bikes and I get years out of them. Praxis unit fitted last night which looks far better than a SRAM one. Bigger, external bearings that can also be replaced if necessary

LMT
    Free Member

No from me, my last bike had one and lasted 3 years with nothing going wrong not even the bearings nothing happened to it at all. My new bike has one as well and again after a year trouble free so far.

SirHC

Have a Reign and a Trance, both have a Hope Press Fit BB. No creaks or groans at all, bearing life is good too (2000ish miles for the Trance and 1200ish miles for the Reign)

SirHC

What are these magical Hope adaptors people speak of and do they still let you run say, an XT crank in a pf bb?

Hope PF41: http://www.hopetech.com/product/press-fit/

Doddle to fit with their tool.

RustySpanner

Yes.

rone

Got 5 bikes with pf30. Put good ones in ie. Rotor/Chris king etc. No real issues.

It limits bike choice too much to avoid.

scandal42
    Free Member

I always try to look for an option with threaded.

My current Hope threaded BB has been on my last 3 bikes and has done a silly amount of miles through all conditions.

Easy to remove if needed as well.

chestrockwell

I avoid them simply because I don’t have the tools to replace them. I do have the tools for any type of threaded BB.

thenorthwind

Yes.

BoardinBob
    lardman
    Free Member

Press fit anything, is only there to benefit the manufacturers really.
    They do work, but most at some point creak, and unless you pay top dollar for stuff, it does not last as long as regular threaded BB’s. I reckon i have to remove and re-grease my Praxxis one every 4 months, to quieten down creaks. It’s lasting a well tho’, just creaks occasionally.

Ive tried them all, from Praxxis to Hope to cheapies.

Getting harder to avoid them now tho’.

hummerlicious
    Free Member

My last two frames have had PF BB30, I didn’t have a lot of luck with the praxxis bb so I’ve just put the SRAM threaded converter in both and fitted threaded BB’s into that. No clicks, no problems.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Somehow, I eked out eighteen months of use from my Stumpjumper’s SRAM BB, but it was basically filled with rusty sand when I finally replaced it. I replaced the SRAM cranks and BB on my new Norco Sight within six weeks of purchase, swapping to an XTR BB which hasn’t missed a beat and only cost me seventeen quid.

My Stumpjumper’s new Praxis BB seems to have developed a grumble on the drive side after only a couple of months of use, but I’m putting that down to a wonky bearing. Worst case scenario, I drift out the old bearing and press in a replacement.

If your bike comes with a SRAM BB, then budget on replacement within six months regardless of whether it’s press fit or otherwise.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Not a fan personally – my Demo has a pressfit BB (which is dead and needs replacing). It’s not had that much use and is dead – I think they’re a pain and prefer threaded ones.

I’ve always had good life out of HTII style BB’s as long as its not a Deor one.

lunge

Yes. I have 2 frames with PF86 BB’s, one creaks, one I suspect will in the future.

My next frame will have a threaded BB even if this severely limits the choice.

poah
    Free Member

yes, wouldn’t buy a bike with a PF BB or SRAM gears either.

renton
    Free Member

Slight hijack as I’m interested in this too….

If you fit say a praxxis convertor bb to a pf30 frame and as such the bearings are now external do you need special width cranks or will a normal slx chain set fit ??

Slightly confused by it all to be honest. All I know is that I don’t want to for the original SRAM chainset to the bike because its a knob to remove all the time.

PJM1974
    Free Member

If you fit say a praxxis convertor bb to a pf30 frame and as such the bearings are now external do you need special width cranks or will a normal slx chain set fit ??

You’ll be absolutely fine – the PF30 BB used by Specialized amongst others requires a spacer (20mm I think) to be fitted to the SRAM BB30 cranks to fit. Obviously you’ll need to find the right Praxis converter for your cranks as Shimano and SRAM have a slightly different axle standard.

I’m currently using XT cranks with mine.

BoardinBob

Normal shimano cranks

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eory8iw2BqU[/video]

plus-one

No

retro83
    Free Member

What’s the benefit of these over threaded?

renton
    Free Member

Cool so I need a praxxis or wheels mfg convertor and a shimano chainset and I’m good to go !

BoardinBob

Cheaper for manufacturers to make a frame. No need to tap a thread on the shell

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I wouldn’t avoid press fit necessarily but I would avoid something I couldn’t easily fit a Shimano crank to without adaptors or expensive BB solutions. I’m not keen on stuff with metal to metal bearing fit as that will wear every time you replace the bearings. Something with either a plastic shell as an interface (Shimano) or a permenantly fitted shell that’ll take the wear.
    I also find about half of ‘creaky press fit BBs’ are actually something else.
    I’ve also had 2 and not had the slightest problem with either of them.

retro83
    Free Member

So no performance advantage as such to the rider? Seems ludicrous to be saving a few quid on a £x00+ frame.

renton
    Free Member

I’ve just found this …..

http://clee-cycles.co.uk/esite/P955/product

As an alternative to the wheels or praxxis.

Has anyone used it before ?

chakaping
    Free Member

So no performance advantage as such to the rider?

I was surprised Kona went press fit on the Process, which is a really well thought out rider-friendly bike.

They said it allowed them to get the frame stiffer and the chainstays as short as they wanted.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Would you avoid a bike with a PF BB?’ is closed to new replies.