Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Would somebody show me all the off piste trails up at Haldon please
  • kaiser
    Free Member

been riding up at haldon for a few years now and know most areas on both sides of the A38/A380 .However I’ve tended to stick to the standard routes and fireroads .I often notice smaller tracks off to one side or the other and occasionally explore but they never seem to last any distance and I normally end up at the bottom of somewhere with a fair haul to get back on track. Just wondered whether people manage to link together a lot of this unofficial stuff to provide a half decent ride without lots of stopping and starting.
    If anyone would be kind enough to act as a guide to reveal the best bits it would be much appreciated . Timewise/daywise I’m very flexible but would prefer it in the light so I can remember where I am for future forays!
    BTW I’m more of a X country type rider than big drops type ( you have to be at 47) although I can cope with fairly technical stuff and have a modicum of fitness but not racing snake!
    many thanks
    Bill in exeter
    mail in profile if needed.

kaiser
    Free Member

please form an orderly queue 🙁

Bucko

Ha, overwhelming response!

I’m in the same position as you, I’ve found a few of the tracks that run off the pisted runs but I’ve never really been able to link them together and I feel like there are so many more out there that I’m still yet to find

stumpytrek
    Free Member

I don’t profess to be an expert but I’ll happily show you what I know!

stumpytrek@me.com

carlphillips
    Free Member

Il be up there on fri evening from around 5pm…i know most of the off piste so happy to show you around. Mail in profile.

kaiser
    Free Member

many thanks guys.. i’ll be in touch!
    Bucko..perhaps we could arrange a meet together with one of the kind offers.
    It has been suggested to join the weds ride which starts 6.30 at the kenn arms or 7pm up the top where the cycle path comes out nr the flyover . I’ll probably give that a go soon also but have avoided in the past as for some reason I assumed it could be quite a few riders hurtling along and I was after something more easy going.I’m probably way off the mark with the reality!

carlphillips
    Free Member

if it helps whenever i ride there i just do the 4 cheeky ones past the hub and back up the fireroad to the beginnning each time then swap sides to just before the hub and do the 2/3 harder/more technical routes there then back to top each time then end with a lap of the red if i can be arsed….
    my riding style could be described as ok on the descents and easy pace on the ascents!
    this is currently my favourite trail up there and no im not elbry!!

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rGqVEOvyyA[/video]

Del

i’ll refrain from commenting on that. 🙄
    wednesday is a sociable ride. we try not to loose anyone. some nights are faster than others, for sure, but it all depends on who’s out. it is intentionally open to all, and if it’s not fast enough for you on a particular night, you can **** off and ride by yourself, is how we look at it 😀
    some of the guys can crack on if everyone is up for it though.
    fun bunch, generally.
    i’ve done my knee in, so not sure when i’ll be out at the mo, otherwise i’d happily guide, and like to think i know my way around pretty well. wouldn’t normally miss a wednesday come hell or high water, but it’s not looking good as it is. 🙁

Shinythings
    Free Member

The silly season for injuries, eh?
    What you done mate?… no canal paths involved I hope.

carlphillips
    Free Member

@ Del…is that refrain from commenting on Elbry or the written content of my post?
    have i commited some Exeter faux pas within my post I’m unaware of?

(I hope not as im planning on meeting up on a few wednesdays!!)

scraprider
    Free Member

I’m out on thurs don’t mind showing what I know , leisurely pace to say the least car park at 6 pm ish

Del

Carl, no worries. comment not aimed at you at all ( or any of the other posters on this thread ). let’s just say i fail to see the value of elbry’s ‘contribution’. happy to discuss in person but don’t see the point in discussing it here.
    as i’ve said before, anyone is welcome of a wednesday.

elbry
    Free Member

i be happy to show you round one day chap, as for del..i will refrain from commenting on somone i have never met, maybe he should do the same.

toys19
    Free Member

OP I know a few cheeky trails and every time I look I see more so I would be happy to meet you up there and show you what I know?

let’s just say i fail to see the value of elbry’s ‘contribution’.

It’s funny I’ve never met Elbry or Del but I fail to see what Elbry has done “wrong”? In fact there are quite a few vids around that Elbry has made of Haldon trails, and other places that I quite like, and he has given me some good advice on another forum about pump track riding, what have you “contributed” Del?

Burchy1
    Free Member

what have you “contributed” Del?

In terms of the trails up at Haldon an awful lot! Most of the off piste stuff you ride has either been built or contributed to by him.

toys19
    Free Member

In terms of the trails up at Haldon an awful lot! Most of the off piste stuff you ride has either been built or contributed to by him.

Big deal, I’m sure Del is very altruistic (except to people called Elbry). I don’t see how that is relevant, I’ve been riding at Haldon since 1990, many of the original (now destroyed) trails were thrashed out by people riding then and before, so what?. It doesn’t have any bearing on whatever Del’s issue with this other guy is?

ajantom

Seconded for the Wednesday eve rides – come one come all, a nice friendly bunch and a good pace, but not too fast…………… + the Ley Arms always has nice ale for afters 😛

Hope the knees are on the mend Del, catch you soon.

RealMan
    Free Member

Has the OP ridden the stuff at cafe side? There’s some decent trails there.

toys19
    Free Member

Yup I agree cafe side good. If you go out with the wednesday riders they will show you everything.

trailmonkey

what i really, really, really like about haldon is that when i get to the top of the climbs, i can usually see dartmoor.

😉

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Would somebody show me all the off piste trails up at Haldon please’ is closed to new replies.