Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Would it have made much difference ?
  • Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Did the Gorrick timed ride on Sunday and for a fat knacker did bloody well. But on getting home, I emptied my camel back to find 2 x 26 er tubes from Afan weekend 2 weeks ago, which were not going to be any use as was on the 29 er, a pair of heavy secateurs sp? and a collapsible wood saw from my local Greenham pixie work last week. 6 nutrigrain bars, ( I should remember that I don’t always nibble on a ride but still put more it before the next ride), large pack of jelly babies ( been there since Christmas when I got them in a stocking filler, now a month out of date !)and two mini packs of tangtastics and a large 10 inch 8mm allen key for my EBB on the winter single speed. Guess I’ll put it down as training ballast, although I have my own home grown to carry anyway.
    Would I have saved 2 mins over 32 miles, without this crap, as that was my nearest rider to beat ? 😀

weeksy

Yup, 2 mins and 3 seconds you’d have saved.

scaredypants

depends – did you hack yourself a shortcut at any point ?

BigDummy
    Free Member

Your camelbak sounds like MrsDummy’s handbag: full of junk she’s forgotten is in there, and amazingly heavy considering the epic uselessness of the contents!

In my view, there is a LOT to be said for having a box (shoe box is good) where the “riding, maybe” stuff lives. Everything comes out of the camelbak at the end of a ride, and goes into the box. You then pack for each ride. If a given ride doesn’t require (for example) a MASSIVE SAW then leave the MASSIVE SAW in the box.

Don’t know about 2 minutes, but it’s brilliant not to have any more junk on your back than you can help if you’re working hard.

🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

No. If you had wanted to catch them you would have? Were you completely gone by then end?

nickc

aha, at least there’s someone worse than me!! see my thread, just did the same thing to look at what I’m lugging about.

At least I wasn’t carrying a saw 😆

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

I didn’t include the ‘usual’ stuff I carry either, such as the worlds heaviest mulitool, small bottle of sealant, tyre levers, spoke key, differing puncture kits, cassette remover ( mini one) tyre patch thing, pump, shock pump, 3 sets of differing pads, few allen bolts and bits. Yeah, Nick, You’re not the only one . Must be the Chiltern XV thing going on !.
    I came a creditable 10th out of 190 , which amazed me for a fat knacker and sods law it would have made 2 mins and 3 secs on my time !! I only realised when I wanted to do some rose clipping the other night and the clippers weren’t in the shed and then it dawned where they were !

ahwiles
    Free Member

this reminds me, i must pack my saw.

munrobiker
    Free Member

You will have done better without it- I know I make a special effort to beat anyone racing with a backpack rather than bits in jersey pockets and a water bottle and I can’t be the only one with such prejudices.

BigDummy
    Free Member

cassette remover

😯 😯 😯 😯

You are well-equipped indeed….

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

We are moving into the saw,saw,saw time of year. It’ll be permanently in my backpack now until Autumn is over.

Freester

Marginal gains and all that. You should have ditched the tools and eaten all the food. We all know once you’ve eaten it – it doesn’t count as total weight you’re carrying right?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Would it have made much difference ?’ is closed to new replies.