Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Would it be really dumb… (mountain weather / conditions content)
  • allthegear
    Free Member

…trying to cross from Braemar to Aviemore though the Lairig Ghru next Wednesday(ish) on my week off??

Obviously, I’m fairly sensible and capable of making reasonable decisions in the mountains but I’ve not been here on a bike before and wanted to get an idea of the conditions. I’m assuming the ground will be frozen by then, looking at the forecast?

Plan to ride one way, stay in B&B and then ride back the next day. Happy to return via other means if the weather turns.

Rachel

martymac

well, its not stupid if you are prepared for the potential weather.
    may not be ridable though, could easily be 6′ of snow by then.
    im not being pessimistic or anything like.

donsimon
    Free Member
    allthegear
    Free Member

yes – I read that and the cold isn’t much of an issue to me, assuming the bike doesn’t freeze up. It’s the current amount of snow up there that I guess I’m interested in; if it’s already a foot deep then it’s all a non-starter. If there’s just a sprinkling of cold dry snow on a cold dry high pressure day, it’ll be amazing!!!

Maybe I take my mountaineering gear and either ride if it’s the right thing to do or walk if it’s not…

Thanks

Rachel

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Would it be really dumb… (mountain weather / conditions content)’ is closed to new replies.