Viewing 26 posts - 121 through 146 (of 146 total)
  • Would flagpole in a neighbours garden put you off buying a house?
  • LS
    Free Member

My next door neighbour has been flying a St George’s cross flag on his 35ft flagpole for over forty years. He’s neither a racist, UKIP voter or football fan.
    I barely even notice the thing now. Admittedly it’s an old house with a big garden/orchard so isn’t overbearing but the assumption that all flag-flyers are racist chavs is well wide of the mark.

igm

Is he English?

gobuchul
    Free Member

the assumption that all flag-flyers are racist chavs

You do know this is STW?

It takes absolutely nothing for the left wing hand wringers on here to call “racist” and start getting the pitchforks out.

Flying a Union Flag would be considered a custodial offence by some on here!

igm

Maybe he forgets what country he’s living in and needs the flag to remind him.

I do find flagsters a bit weird (I try not to laugh at them) but in and of itself it’s not a crime.
    Frequently of course there are nastier things associated with it. Happily agree with the last couple of posters that said that flagsters are not exclusively racists though.

LS
    Free Member

Is he English?

Yes, I’ve never heard him shouting about it though.

RichT

My (Australian) FIL turned up one day with a flag pole for us and I didn’t have the heart not to put it up. He keeps sending us all kinds of flags. We put it up in the back garden and it is currently flying the South Australia flag, which has a Piping Shrike on it (a bird). Before that it was the Dominica flag which has a parrot on it! We change it whenever we remember. I quite like the Hampshire flag, but am also keen to get a Wessex one.
    Am I a bad neighbour?

Junkyard
    Free Member

It takes absolutely nothing for the left wing hand wringers on here to call “racist” and start getting the pitchforks out.

the problem lies that patriotic right wingers have allowed racists, the NF, England first and football hooligans to steal their flag and make it stand for something other than national pride. Its really not the lefts faults the right wing stole the flag its the fault of the RW, racists and thugs

FWIW i agree it terrible/a shame that many folk think racist when they see the country’s flag and we should all be working together to change this perception but you are going to have to reclaim the flag from them first – especially the St georges flag.

Blaming those who observe it for the fault is not going to help “reclaim the flag”

ahwiles
    Free Member

RichT – Member

Am I a bad neighbour?

if the noise it makes is keeping people awake at night, then… er… yes.

sorry.

DrP

I’d never really though about this beofre this thread.
    Honestly, I’d be a bit put off by a flag-hanger, TBH.

I think I see it as fitting into one of:
    Football hooligan
    BNP/UKIP
    Crazy ex army major

I’m wrong, I know that. Plenty of nice people hang a flag.
    However, it would put me off (Just a bit, but if it was the choice of 2 equal houses, I’d choose the non-flag neighbour one)

I can’t relly talk – my drive is a tip from time to time – it’d put potential viewers off if next door were selling – I’m not a nut, I’m not noisy, I just have logs and bike parts on the drive at times!

DrP

Rockhopper
    Free Member

I was actually thinking of getting a flag pole up at my new house but maybe I’ll think again after this thread!

RichT

No the noise doesn’t disturb them. I have asked of course.

retro83
    Free Member

I really wanted to make a sarky comment about prejudice against flagists, but TBH the only person with a flag pole I know is my brother’s neighbour who has a very large poorly trained aggressive dog whose shit he does not clean up, he (allegedly) steals parcels, and plays loud music at all hours.

eta: the flag he flies looks like this:

RichT

And you can’t really see it from their garden or the road. It is in our back garden. The chickens are the noisy ones, but next door can’t hear those either.

teamslug
    Free Member

I fly a white rose flag at some mtb events, mostly so Mrs Slug can find her way back to base if she goes for a wander. Her sense of direction is so poor she can get lost at work!!!. Maybe he forgets where he lives and needs a marker?.

igm

Flags at campsites / events far more acceptable

woollybackpaul
    Free Member

My neighbour has a flagpole with the St Georges Cross.

He lives in Portugal for 10 months of the year.

No evidence that he is a racist chav but he is definitely a bellend.

epicyclo

I was thinking about this last night.

Living in Scotland I would not be offended if an English neighbour flew the St George’s cross flag. If he’s proud of being English, why not?

However I would be somewhat antagonistic if he flew the Butcher’s Apron.

tjagain

Edinburgh council stole my flagpole ( well the mountings for it)

I wanted to fly flags from it as well and am most annoyed about it

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

This is the America that has a flypast for every football game and where children pledge allegiance at the start of every day… Fascist superstate much?

Having lived in America this used to irk me and question how free the ‘land of the free’ is.

Would it put me off? Depends how close your neighbour is, and the state of the rest of their house and garden.

But basically yes, it would.

derek_starship
    Free Member

We’re not a flag nation are we? So I might be a tad put off by the flagpole. But at least he has made the effort in erecting the pole. Most bellends just drape their flag of choice out of the bathroom window.

I suppose it’s not much worse than someone who wears more than four metal pin badges.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

igm

Is that BoJo’s house?

Marin
    Free Member

Not at all unless it was close enough to hear the noise it can make. However I can see how the whiney soft handed office wallahs would cry in hysteria and feel the only option would be to vent their fury on stw. Lunch time over.

mooman
    Free Member

It is strange behaviour to feel the need to fly a flag in your garden for sure.
    I actually know of one person personally who fairly recently put up a flag pole and started flying a flag in their garden – he is very well known for being a very strange fella to be fair, so …

joshvegas
    Free Member

I think Marin might be a little over protective of his wee flaggywag.

😆

Riofer
    Free Member

Coming back to the original question it can put people off a house.

When the house next door to a friend of mine went up for sale he hung a flag out the window and filled his front yard with empty beer cans. His best mate ended up buying the house, apparently there had been very little interest after first viewings.

Viewing 26 posts - 121 through 146 (of 146 total)

The topic ‘Would flagpole in a neighbours garden put you off buying a house?’ is closed to new replies.