Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Would an Alpkit Gourdon be uncomfy
  • rob-jackson
    Free Member

to commute 20 miles with once per week (with a 17″ laptop) in?

wwaswas

I found a courier bag with a laptop in it too much for even a 12 mile commute and had to switch to pannier.

it’s down to how strong your back is in the end.

GregMay
    Free Member

Nope, I use mine for a 10-15km commute each day.

Full with lappy, clothes and food. XPS at about 1.8kg

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    IA

It’s all about pannier(s).

argyle
    Free Member

they are ok but very basic padding. you need to be careful when packing.

GregMay
    Free Member

Laptop in a neoprene case is my padding 🙂

crispedwheel
    Free Member

No, should be fine I think. I use mine if I’m going for a cx ride after work and want to carry work stuff straight back home after – much better than using my usual courier bag.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Just bought the 30L version – watch out for it on teh classifieds!!

DaveBro
    Free Member

i am on my 3rd one (orange this time) commute 16m e/w – simple, robust and waterproof – only issue is if you fill it, put an a4 document in it etc.. the strap / loop can catch on the back of my neck. good product for the price.

gazc
    Free Member

i rate my gourdon as a dry bag, with straps to carry it when you need to, but as a dedicated rucksack probably not. used it to do the woodcock coast to coast so i could put it on the pannier on the road/flat sections and wear it on my back in the lakes (as its pretty rocky/steep in places…). i find the straps are too close together and they chafe really badly on my neck, but i’m a broad build with a fat neck 😆 bargain for the price when compared to similar bags though

EDIT: forgot to add i put a few holes in mine but alpkit sent me some iron on patches which seem to be holding up fine 🙂

IainGillam
    Free Member

Straps and other “bag” features aren’t wonderful and it’s not particularly stable on my back I find. But as a commuting rucksack it’s perfectly adequate, I’ve got the 30L one and it takes quite a bit of stuff. I did get a hole in it after much abuse and if you really over fill it the roll top might open up a small gap. But as I chuck another drybag in to protect my stuff from wet swimming kit the last two don’t really matter.

Iain

flyingmm

Think you’ll be fine once a week, but I find for a daily 10km commute with the weight of a 15″ laptop+lunch+other random stuff that accumulates, it has started to give me a bit of jip over the last year – although I do have a dodgy thoracic spine prone to muscle spasm. Just ordered a more fit for purpose deuter rucksack with ergonomic design and with room for circulating air at the back, I’m looking forward to a less sweaty back 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Would an Alpkit Gourdon be uncomfy’ is closed to new replies.