• This topic has 13 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by mboy.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Would a 29er wheel fit in 26" on-one carbon forks?
  • rob-jackson
    Free Member

yay or nay? 440mm a2c

mboy
    Free Member

Yes

Will even fit in a 420mm fork if you’re not using a huge tyre.

Might make the geometry a bit sharp though, depending on what frame it is…

rob-jackson
    Free Member

29er inbred

avdave2

I’ve used a 29 wheel in a 440mm pace 31 with 2″ Mud x – loads of clearance.

fenred
    Free Member

Front end will be so low you’ll be able to lick the front tyre clean! 😯

avdave2

Well mine is an inch and a half lower when it’s got a 26″ wheel in it and that doesn’t feel low even with the stem slammed and flipped and and flat bars. Might be because I’m not very tall. Will try licking the tire on the next ride.

emac65
    Free Member

26″ wheeled Inbreds behave very nicely with a 29″ wheel in them

Big-Pete
    Free Member

Inbred with 29 wheel in a 26 fork. Worked brilliant for me.

Tyre is a 2.5 weirwolf

sheephills
    Free Member

-BigPete

do you also have a 29 wheel in a 26 inbred?

mboy
    Free Member

29er inbred is pretty steep even with a 100mm Reba fitted… I know, I owned one!

With a 440mm rigid, you’d have something like a 73.5 degree head angle…

NO THANKS!

Inbred 29er geometry could do with updating slightly IMO, slacker front, shorter stays, kink in the seat tube, and it would be all the better for it.

Shackleton

Yes, will fit fine although ride position and handling on a normal 26″ frame such as an inbred is better with the 420 mm ac fork. 440mm felt a bit floppy to me on a love hate (~ same geo as inbred). 420mm plus 29er wheel preserved the handling characteristics of 440mm plus 26″ wheel.

takisawa2

I ran a 26″ Inbred with a 470mm fork. With 26″ wheel it was perfect IMO. With 440mm always felt front was very low. With 29″ front wheel on it just didn’t feel right at all. 29″ on 440mm fork is the only one I didn’t try. I went to 29er not long after & honestly haven’t looked back.Rigid forks just work so much better with 29″ wheels.

dirtydog
    Free Member

29er inbred is pretty steep even with a 100mm Reba fitted… I know, I owned one!

With a 440mm rigid, you’d have something like a 73.5 degree head angle…

By the time you’ve accounted for 20mm or so of sag there would be little difference, whats the a to c of a Reba 460mm?

mboy
    Free Member

By the time you’ve accounted for 20mm or so of sag there would be little difference, whats the a to c of a Reba 460mm?

510mm on a 100mm Reba, so 485mm with 25mm of sag

490mm on an 80mm Reba, so 470mm with 20mm of sag

My 29er Inbred felt quite steep with a 100mm Reba on, with the Reba at 80 it felt very twitchy indeed. So to lose another 30mm or so off the sagged height of an 80mm Reba… Like I said… NO THANKS!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Would a 29er wheel fit in 26" on-one carbon forks?’ is closed to new replies.