• This topic has 6 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by tf.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Wot no big yellow taxi? SAR choppers might be privatised
  • scuttler

From the beeb – http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11978628

“The UK’s search and rescue helicopter fleet, which is currently run by the RAF and the Royal Navy, plus civilian helicopters through the Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) will be taken over by a private company.”

I suppose this is because the Sea Kings are rapidly reaching retirement and there are cost cuts to be had. Also the original raison d’etre was to rescue downed airmen which we now have fewer of than ever.

We see the air ambulances on the telly all the time but winch work is clearly the domain of RAF and RN. I suppose the current RAF/RN aircrews will transfer over to whatever the new service might become. As I understand it a lot of the alpine rescue services (obviously winch capable) are private.

Having a dig around a bit more before I hit send it looks like the Maritime and Coastguard Agency has a ‘part-privatised’ SAR capability using S-92 helicopters – see http://www.shephard.co.uk/news/3050/

Once this happens it’ll be insurance or a big bill for sure!

ratherbeintobago

This isn’t exactly news, having been announced in 2006. The MCA SAR helicopters are (I think) provided by Bristow; either way it’s probably cheaper than the service option (which is sad, given the expertise the RAF & FAA have). The Sea King airframes are not actually as old as you’d think (last HAR.3’s in service were ordered in 1992); about two or three years ago, I heard a wafu Sea King pilot say in a presentation that the last RN Sea King pilot hasn’t been born, so it’s expected the airframes will be in service for a while yet.

Andy

Edric64
    Free Member

I hope we keep the Seaking as my Stepson has just qualified as a fitter on them at Yeovilton

druidh
    Free Member

The biggest issue here is that Mountain Rescue flights are currently provided free of charge (to the rescued) as the flight crews have to log a certain number of training hours anyway. Take away that requirement and you can expect to see charges being levied / insurance being required.

daveagiles
    Free Member

The contract to provide SAR cover for civilians will be transferred to whoever takes over the contract. We are a long way off having to pay for this service.

mrmo
    Free Member

will this actually save money? the pilot need to fly anyway, a private company will want to make a profit?

tf
    Free Member

I reckon this is one of those false economy things. Not only the RAF pilots need to keep flying, but also the crews have to practice S&R for sake of combat readiness. As the RAF has acknowledged in the past, the current set up allowed them to ‘practice’ on civilians. So, assuming daveagiles is right, we end up paying for a similar level of activity in the RAF and for the privatised rescue service alongside it. If we have to go down this route, it would make more sense to start charging for the service, as is normal elsewhere in Europe; if nothing else, it would reduce the number of ridiculous calls for rescue that people make.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Wot no big yellow taxi? SAR choppers might be privatised’ is closed to new replies.