Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Worth shortening XT cage length for 1×10?
  • thegreatape
    Free Member

With 11-36 cassette.

Got an SGS XT mech, worth getting the GS inner and outer plates to shorten it? Or even the Zee ones?

Is there a performance gain with the shorter cage, or is this simply a clearance thing?

kimbers

Just clearance

Its more about what you got up front really

g5604
    Free Member

I would on change if you are putting a 40t/42t on the back

mattbee

Less chain that you don’t need flapping about.
    Mind you, I’ve noticed absolutely no difference since swapping from long to short cage XO, apart from it looking a bit nicer.

thegreatape
    Free Member

How would it be less chain when the measuring is done without it going through the mech?

I’m not bothering with a 40/42 at the back, didn’t need it during my test runs and 32/36 was fine on my local rides once I’d swapped.

If it’s not going to give any functional advantage then I don’t see any point spending money changing it, might as well use it then sort any damage IF I ever clatter it on something.

Wally

i run my longcage fine 1×10

thegreatape
    Free Member

Thank you – I didn’t want to spend any more, just aware that short cage Zee mechs are invariably recommend when starting from scratch.

davosaurusrex

I changed from long cage XT to medium. Long cage was quieter if anything. To be honest I just wanted a black mech and the long cage was a bit bent. Money that doesn’t need spending IMO (not that it ever seems to stop me)

hypnotoad
    Free Member

Short cage would probably give more chain tension, but if it’s a clutch mech then the difference would probably hard to notice.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Money for spending elsewhere then 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Worth shortening XT cage length for 1×10?’ is closed to new replies.